#61 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

To sum things up. Is there anyway to have lobbies that are accepting of error but still have a competitive atmosphere? 

There will be; AL is not so much about skill level rather than attitude. Of course there needs to be a skill level that matches the concepts of competitive tf2, but it's up to the player how quickly he can advance.

Take me as a great example: when I started this site my comp skill was pretty low, but I asked people in Mumble to teach me stuff. I am main medic, which is a great responsibility, but the more Lobbies I played, the more I learned and today, after playing a year with tf2c, I'm not too worried about screwing up a Lobby ;-)

#62 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

We could bring in restrictions, punishments for leaving early, etc to all lobbies today, but that would be such a significant change and affect so many people that there is a risk of forcing people away. By bringing in "advanced" lobbies, we will take a core of dedicated players and be able to enforce punishments from the start. If this doesn't work, then we chalk it up to a failed experiment and go again with another plan. If it does work, then we can start moving things like auto-banning for ragequitting into standard lobbies. 

What I don't understand is why you care so much about driving away ragequitters and people who don't join mumble in mumble req'd lobbies.  I'm sure you are correct that having some standards in a normal lobby will drive people away but really they are probably the kind of people no one wants to be playing lobbies with anyway.

#63 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

What I don't understand is why you care so much about driving away ragequitters and people who don't join mumble in mumble req'd lobbies.  I'm sure you are correct that having some standards in a normal lobby will drive people away but really they are probably the kind of people no one wants to be playing lobbies with anyway.

Your point being...?

#64 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Your point being...?

His point is, "what do these people (the ones with 20% ragequits or a 0% mumble record) add to the experience that makes them worth retaining?"   Which is a totally fair question.  And I read Foxy's post as "we're not exactly sure," which is a fair answer.

Take yung lean / rich homie quan as an example -- he never joins mumble, but also never quits.  He's a good player that everyone is happy to have on their team, mumble or no.   Restricting him to mumble-optional lobbies isn't crazy, but maybe it goes too far.  

Foxy has the right idea -- to look at AL as an experiment that might solve the whole problem, or might give insight into solving the problem via normal lobbies, or might not work at all.

#65 fishie

fishie

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

good idea  do this pls.   this site is invented to play more competive and serious than pubstyle but it become more pub with this amount of faillobbys and ragequitting scrubs. letz make it more stricter.  AL is a good way to enforce this !

#66 arnold.

arnold.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:27 AM

It's been mentioned a few times so far about newer players and the 'elite' players being seperated by league division and such.

Many players who don't play in leagues due to time constraints often play pugs regularly and are, frankly, better than some league players (Both in terms of DM or Teamwork).

It'd be good to see if players are 'nominated' to be able to join advanced lobbies by other players.
  • Smile likes this
last.fm/user/flyjammer

#67 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

It'd be good to see if players are 'nominated' to be able to join advanced lobbies by other players.

It should be very inclusive and default to allowing nearly everyone.

The worst offenders, measured by number of lobbies they've ruined, are people who have the comp experience and hours to know better.  

Consequences are more important than prerequisites.

• Luop90 likes this

#68 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

It should be very inclusive and default to allowing nearly everyone.

Absolutely not. The problem is not a handful of players who ruin our games. It's also a lot of players who have no clue what they are doing, do not use comms, or are just a pain in general. I actually expect about 15% of current population to be part of this initial group.

Let's start by getting our Lobby quality up, and after that slowly let people in, in a very controlled manner.

It may surprise you, but 60k players can be pretty hard to manage...

#69 Bora

Bora

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

This is a place where most people come to chill and have fun. Don't you think you are ruining it with mumble reports and stuff?

#70 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Casual lobbies will still exist, this would be for people who want to take lobbies more seriously.

• Computer, ManSkirtDude101 and Shea like this

#71 Bora

Bora

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

Casual lobbies will still exist, this would be for people who want to take lobbies seriously.

I'm sorry I just understood that part. Okay, its a cool feature then.

#72 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Absolutely not. The problem is not a handful of players who ruin our games. It's also a lot of players who have no clue what they are doing, do not use comms, or are just a pain in general. I actually expect about 15% of current population to be part of this initial group.

I meant "everyone who plays", of course, and I'm guessing two-thirds of those 60k have under 100 lobbies.  Filtering on RQ-frequency and mumble use takes out another 10%?  Leaving 20-25% -- so my idea of "inclusive" is not far from your idea of "exclusive." 

Be sure to give extra consideration to people who play medic.  It does no one any good to have ten thousand players and one hundred medics.  

It may surprise you, but 60k players can be pretty hard to manage...

It surprises me that a programmer would think of it in those terms.  The most common problems, like unreliability, can be handled automatically.  More abstract problems, like not playing to win, impose a demand on moderator time which scales with games played.  "Games played"  scales ~logarithmically with number of players.  To a first approximation, quadrupling player count only doubles the moderators needed.

• Shea likes this

#73 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:10 AM

This is long because I read through the entire thread replying as issues and comments were written!

If people new to tf2center can only play on shitty, troll filled "casual lobbies" running trainsawlaser, they aren't going to enjoy tf2center and will leave.

what. the. f? These bullshit assumptions aren't helping prove your point. All of a sudden everybody but the experienced comp players are shitty players and trolls? Such bullshit.

Even still there are a few people (myself included) who set requirements on most or all of their lobbies.  It usually does take longer to fill (though only because of the poor attitude of the users who think as mentioned above.) but it is usually worth it in having a full team in mumble and having a group of players who actually wanted a fun game with at least some competitiveness and are usually the people willing to wait for that lobby that will have a higher chance of being closely matched instead of joining whatever was going to fill fasted regardless of how much of a roll it is.

I agree -- I always set minimum requirements for my lobbies and even though they're not much (500hrs 50 lobbies) they still take quite long to fill as the very existance of requirements turns a lot of people off, even those who meet them it seems.

1. There is definitely threshold for the player's patience. 1 mediocre game still better than nothing.

Yes but unfortunately it's not one great game with a long wait or one mediocre game -- it's usually one decent game with a long wait or one game which is horrific and makes you want to uninstall!

you're just forcing all the players who aren't part of the super secret fan club to be stuck in a lobby that is now considered to be "casual" and not necessarily to be taken with even a drop of seriousness now that you have AL's.

This is my only concern, and it is a legitimate one. We should not diminish the quality of regular lobbies any further by in any way suggesting that they should not be taken seriously. The language used to differentiate between the lobbies should be carefully considered. i.e. regular and ranked rather than casual and serious.

Btw by far the best source of regular medics is keen newbies, they're basically the only people who want to do it and try to do it properly. They may not be existing league players.

Where did you get that from? We get a lot of 0 lobby medics because it's an almost guaranteed empty slot in the top lobby, not because they're super keen to play a support class.

try hards expect everyone to be great and if you are new or make too many mistakes in one game they tell you to "Delete team fortress 2 from your computer!" or "never lobby again!"

I do believe that in any lobby a player should understand their role before playing it -- or at least I hope this is what happens with the forthcoming higher tier of lobbies. I've always thought if you can't top score in a pub as that class, you probably shouldn't play it in a lobby. The higher tier lobbies, in my opinion, like TF2 PUGs should make it clear it's not a place to learn the game but a place to play at a half decent standard. In an ideal world anyway!

Take yung lean / rich homie quan as an example -- he never joins mumble, but also never quits.  He's a good player that everyone is happy to have on their team, mumble or no.   Restricting him to mumble-optional lobbies isn't crazy, but maybe it goes too far.

I don't know who he is but not participating in communications in a higher tier lobby seems out of the question. It's people like this who see a spy heading for your medic's back and fail to communicate that, and your medic drops. This is the kind of crap I'd rather not have in higher tier/AL/serious lobbies.

Be sure to give extra consideration to people who play medic.  It does no one any good to have ten thousand players and one hundred medics.  

What does this mean? If it means what I presume it means -- if users play medic a lot give them preferential treatment -- this sounds impractical to enforce. Also, I don't particularly enjoy playing medic but sometimes play just to get games started. I absolutely will not play medic, however, with heavy and demo with under 1000 hours. It's just a nightmare. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way, because as a medic you depend on your team to help you live and when the main people you depend on are most likely quite bad players, you'd rather not depend on them. In other words, playing with tryhard players will make medic more enjoyable (or should I say, less stressful?).

Edited by b33p, 08 September 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#74 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

What does this mean?

It means you need medics to start the game. The #1 threat to AL is that they will take too long to start. Having more medics will help.

If it means what I presume it means -- if users play medic a lot give them preferential treatment -- this sounds impractical to enforce.

It's math. There's nothing to enforce. Set a goal that 10% of the players should be medics and tweak entrance requirements to suit the goal. You play medic about one lobby in ten, so you count as 1/10th of a medic. You and nine other 1/10th medics would count as one full medic and nine non-medics.
  • fraac likes this

#75 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

What does this mean?

It means you need medics to start the game. The #1 threat to AL is that they will take too long to start. Having more medics will help.

If it means what I presume it means -- if users play medic a lot give them preferential treatment -- this sounds impractical to enforce.

It's math. There's nothing to enforce. Set a goal that 10% of the players should be medics and tweak entrance requirements to suit the goal. You play medic about one lobby in ten, so you count as 1/10th of a medic. You and nine other 1/10th medics would count as one full medic and nine non-medics.

You're aware bad medics ruin lobbies, right? In fact, out of all classes not to allow noobs to play in higher tier lobbies, it should not be medic. The exact opposite of what you're saying.

Also, for your latter statement, people like me would play medic because other players would be good. I don't play 1/10 medic but I'd play more medic in lobbies with players who want a good game and aren't just yoloing it.

• The Once and Future King likes this

#76 Shea

Shea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Location...behind you.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Here's my two cents:

I love the idea. But I love helping out the newer players. And I want there to be a mix of Advanced/new players in most lobbies. So what I was thinking was maybe a schedule for advanced lobbies? like 3-4 per day at scheduled times? I think that would be a good way for people to still play regular lobbies, and also get the advanced/no bull deal.

• Mother Tereza likes this

#77 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

But I love helping out the newer players.

You can do what you like, nobody's stopping you helping people.

And I want there to be a mix of Advanced/new players in most lobbies.

I don't think it's right for you to try and make experienced players do what you want. At the rate the quality of lobbies is declining for experienced players, they'll stick to mixes/spreadsheet/tf2pickup and never return to Center.

like 3-4 per day at scheduled times? I think that would be a good way for people to still play regular lobbies, and also get the advanced/no bull deal.

So a maximum of 8 demomen per day get to play a half decent lobby. This is an awful idea.

#78 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

You're aware bad medics ruin lobbies, right? In fact, out of all classes not to allow noobs to play in higher tier lobbies, it should not be medic. The exact opposite of what you're saying.

I'm not saying anything about noob anything. I'm saying 10% of the player pool should be medics. This is a pretty defensible statement since they are 1/9th or 1/6th of every game played.

That means if there are x medics that meet whatever threshold, the player pool should be 10x.

Also, for your latter statement, people like me would play medic because other players would be good. I don't play 1/10 medic but I'd play more medic in lobbies with players who want a good game and aren't just yoloing it.

You're proposing that people who don't really play medic would start? How does that jibe with your "no noob medics" rule above?
  • Shea likes this

#79 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

I'm not saying anything about noob anything. I'm saying 10% of the player pool should be medics. This is a pretty defensible statement since they are 1/9th or 1/6th of every game played.

That means if there are x medics that meet whatever threshold, the player pool should be 10x.

You're proposing that people who don't really play medic would start? How does that jibe with your "no noob medics" rule above?

I'm talking about experienced players here. Medic isn't my main, but I can play it in highlander and maincall. Just because you don't currently play medic in lobbies does not mean you would be a noob medic in a lobby.

edit: as for the stuff about the player pool being broken down by class somehow, I don't really get it, you haven't detailed your plan, so I'll let the people in charge try and decipher what you're planning.

Edited by b33p, 09 September 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#80 JNeb900

JNeb900

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

This is genius

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community Input