• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mint

Mint

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Alright, I would like to preface this by saying that I've never been banned by TF2C. This is just something that occurred to me.

Basically the revision that I have in mind is this: I think the only people who should be banned from tf2center should be hackers and maybe map exploiters. The reason I say this is because tf2center already has a !report command to remove an individual from a lobby. Therefore, griefers are easily dealt with. A possible solution to repeat griefers would be a function that bans a person from tf2center for, say, 3 weeks if they are !report'ed, say, 5 consecutive times, or 5 times within a span of time.

Now, most of the griefers are server owners who are activating sv_cheats or ending lobbies early because they're mad. I would then suggest a lobby-creating whitelist as opposed to full banning from the service. This could be accomplished by, for instance, implementing a server feedback sort of thing where people have the option to report a lobby post-game. If a certain percentage of people report a lobby, the lobby leader is barred from creating any new lobbies. This could also be based on consecutive times, or amount of situations in a time-span.

I do not support griefing, I just think banning should be reserved for hackers and maybe exploiters. If you have any questions, or want me to further elaborate on anything, I'm available.

#2 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

I do not support griefing, I just think banning should be reserved for hackers and maybe exploiters. If you have any questions, or want me to further elaborate on anything, I'm available.

Why? If somebody is a foul-mouthed, abusive asshole who mouths off to everyone and anyone then what right does he have to play in our lobbies and ruin everyone else's fun? I see banning people, not as a punishment for those who have been banned but as a service improvement for the other players who want to play lobbies properly without breaking the rules and ruining other people's fun.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Why? If somebody is a foul-mouthed, abusive asshole who mouths off to everyone and anyone then what right does he have to play in our lobbies and ruin everyone else's fun? I see banning people, not as a punishment for those who have been banned but as a service improvement for the other players who want to play lobbies properly without breaking the rules and ruining other people's fun.

This pretty much hit's the nail right on the head.  Just because we can report griefers while in the lobby doesn't mean we should have to do so regularly.  Why keep letting them join lobbies if that is the way they are going to play?  Chances are if they get reported for minor things they won't get banned until there are multiple "reports" on them (or comments on the report thread) assuming it is a truly minor thing and even then I've seen a lot of temporary bans so it looks like the staff here are lenient and willing to give people second chances.  At the point where several people are taking the time and effort to fill out a report on the forums chances are the guy they are reporting deserves more than just being removed from yet another lobby using the !report function inside said lobby as that is probably satisfying for them anyway.  What about people who are server owners and grief by shutting down the lobby (or server) in the middle because their team is loosing?  They wouldn't even get booted from the lobby before anyone else so would receive no repercussions and would be able to just keep doing it.

Edited by R.E.M., 10 March 2014 - 11:35 PM.
Fixed the quotation - think it bugged

#4 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:10 AM

The only useful idea in your suggestion, Mint, is automatic progressive ban system. But definitely this system shouldn't be tied to the "report" feature. Special UI and automatisation will help admins to track violators, but I don't see any point to revise our rules. Violators should be and will be banned.

#5 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Further to this, it's a limitation of the ban system that we're aware of. Bans are currently manually added and removed, and the plans for the future (I believe near future, but don't hold me to that) is to have bans automatically expire. As such, we can give you a short-term ban to let you calm down, while still maintaining longer punishments to apply as needed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined