6 replies to this topic

#1 loop

loop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

I have recently had the need to report an individual (of many that I've turned a blind eye to prior) for chat spamming and sexual harassment. A brief peruse into their profile reveals the alternate account nature of this account/ Link to said report here.

It appears to me there is a rise of alternate accounts to use TF2Center, whether it's to escape chat bans or full bans. The ease of accountCreation/idling that's inherent to Team Fortress 2 and the more imaginative ways to circumvent TF2C's anti-trolling/griefing measures contributes to this rise of these alternate accounts. 

I would like to begin a conversation on this.

How do we combat the rise of alternate accounts post-ban? Do we enforce harsher punishment to individuals with lower number of lobbies? Can we increase the value of accounts with high number of lobbies to discourage the breaking of these rules?

• conpinteyrotjo likes this

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

TF2C has a minimum requirement of 100 hours, meaning that if someone wants to use an alt, they have to put some work into it. The minimum use to be 300 hours, but there were a lot of complaints, so it was toned down.

The problem is that we cannot really distinguish between alts and new players, except on an IP level. Even then we had complaints about users with brothers and whatnot. However, IP's the key, so ideally it would be great for mods to have a tool to see all accounts under the same IP.

• conpinteyrotjo likes this

#3 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Seems like a lot of work to get back in to tf2center and then follow the rules to stay under the radar.  If we punish the behavior and not the player, it seems as if a bunch of alts is not a big deal in my opinion.

#4 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Seems like a lot of work to get back in to tf2center and then follow the rules to stay under the radar.  If we punish the behavior and not the player, it seems as if a bunch of alts is not a big deal in my opinion.

True, but we should make it clear that using alts is NOT ok, and if we find you are doing it, expect a much lengthier ban than you originally had.

• loop likes this

#5 loop

loop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

True, but we should make it clear that using alts is NOT ok, and if we find you are doing it, expect a much lengthier ban than you originally had.

I very much like this idea. The point of a ban is to prevent you to play because of your behavior. Circumvention of that shouldn't be allowed.

#6 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

So.. hard.. to prove.. alts...

Attached File  captain kirk william shatner 1968 1969.jpg   17.19KB   0 downloads

#7 Fakeman

Fakeman

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Get an IP adress

If one user has the same Ip as another, ban both accounts. Not that easy i know

pbj - pneumatic basalt samba

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed