• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 <da> Shadow

<da> Shadow

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:12 PM

In this thread I propose a band-aid fix, for the initial bug that kicks players from their lobby position, meaning that it is temporary until a work around the socket errors are fixed.

After chatting with the admins we've come to find out that it cannot be fixed entirely by them and it is an issue that may be coming around a few times, the band-aid fix goes as the following:

A button that locks the player in their slot

the functionality?

Button functionality:

• Locks the player in place
  • has a 15 second cool down on unlocking their position to prevent any kind of weird baiting/trolling
  • Prevents the player from leaving their slot
  • Has a three minuet timer (extendable by donating if you please) that refreshes the page afterwords
  • After three minuets it becomes unlocked

As you can see it isn't a permanent fix, but could be an interesting almost band-aid fix to the situation with a fairly simple functionality.

Pros

• Gives the devs time to fix what they need to
  • Prevents people from being randomly kicked
  • Potential quickfix that may turn into a serious function for the website

Cons

• May not work at all
  • people could try and abuse it in some way
  • If the wrong mentality is used when implementing it the issue will not be solved
  • the button could break some things

Additional ideas for the button

• Allow hosts to also lock players in place, this could ensure anyone that joins last to bait the lobby is forced to play
  • prevents trolling in the senario where it is implemented

Mind you, this is only a quick fix and should be treated as such until the issue at hand is resolved, which it may occur once again due to the issue.

Thanks for reading.

#2 Highvlass Heavy

Highvlass Heavy

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

I don't know enough about web sockets or how the site/browser refreshes, but some sort of hotfix would be nice.

If anyone has input.

#3 rayyy

rayyy

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

What exactly would the page refresh do after the 3 minute timer? Just to clarify, I have no idea about programs and stuff, I was just curious :)

Edited by rayyy, 14 March 2016 - 07:57 AM.

Comp players bash traders and traders bash comp players. As both, feel free to bash me whether you're a trader or a comp player! :D

#4 <da> Shadow

<da> Shadow

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

You could probably script it to do an "if-> then" action to refresh by hitting a bind for the particular browser, f5/ whatever particular key is set to refresh each browser type.

#5 Exze

Exze

Former Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

I was reading up on the issue (doesn't just affect out site), and one fix was to run the required tab (in our case the lobby tab) as its own window instead of in a line of tabs. This way, it's never set to inactive, unless you put another tab in that window, and switch to that.

This still needs testing however, but I'd be interested in feedback on this.

#6 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:25 AM

The bug that kicks players from slots has been limited to only a few occurrences, I don't see a demand in this anymore. Hopefully that bug can be fixed completely soon.

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed