• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Neds9kelly

Neds9kelly

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hello. It may occur to some of you people that my title suggests I'm deaf.

Well, yes, that's for sure. But that's the thing I'm not happy about. The deaf people of TF2.

I find it extremely frustrating when people only uses mic chat as a way of communication, due to my deafness, and then at some point, someone tries to talk to me. Heck, I even got banned about two times in public servers, because I 'didn't listen to them', even though I tried explaining to them about my deafness and how my hearing aids helps me hear, but not clearly. As you're assumed, they didn't believe me, and banned me. I get upset about my deafness, and how it separates me from the TF2 community, since the best TF2 players focuses on mic, and I barely understand them.

Now, for my suggestion. To make TF2center more 'deaf-friendly'. But you might ask, 'How on earth would they do that?'. There are some solutions.

First one is to add a caption box or heading during gameplay. It would make gameplay much easier, and requires the deaf person to understand what they are saying, while playing at the same time. The text should be big to read, and easy for the person to see. There is only one downside, though, and that's voice clarify. Based on today's technology, live captioning is not quite right. If you watch a YouTube video with Auto-captions on, you'll see some correct words said by person/thing, and some incorrect words not said by person/thing. But however, in some technology (Siri, for example), it works perfectly at most times.

Second is to put a better, and simple chat box for Mumble (use a plugin, e.g.). Sure, it may be easier to use a mic, but however, this idea is a bit different. Instead of using text, you'll use automatic voice commands (Medic!, Ubercharge, Move Ahead, etc.) for situations, by identifying the movements and actions of the player. But however, this may be very tricky to configre, and may take months, or even years to do so.

Third is a bit similar to the second idea, but however, uses binds for voice commands, and shows logos near the health bar and ammo bar based on the voice commands. Let's say you use a 'Sentry Ahead' voice command, and a logo based on the voice command would appear near your health bar. This would be MUCH easier for people to play TF2center, and also for pubs. But however, this may be exploitable, since it could override huds/configs. Not really recommended, but however, still a good idea.

There are a few other ideas, but they may be impossible/take ages to make. The LAST option I would like to see is to just not use Mumble at all  :P

I would appreciate it if you guys would make this great TF2 community deaf-friendly, as it allows more people with disability to come together and play, and maybe make some more friends.

However, if you guys don't do anything, or just ignore this thread, you have no respect for the deaf community. Trust me, we may look retarded, but we are actually great players (sort of). People just doesn't know this.

Please, make TF2center deaf-friendly. I'm counting on you guys.

• nrd. likes this

#2 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

First of all, I would like to say that I found this pretty emotional. Even though I cannot even imagine how hard it is to not be able to hear from voice communications, I know it is very complicated. I even get mad and wonder why people make non-mumble TF2C lobbies in the first place. It's really hard to communicate without listening to others.

Unfortunately, the suggestions you mentioned are more to do with TF2 itself. Captions for ingame commands and Mumble overlays and captions are way out of what TF2C covers and can change. I think the only closest thing is the voice commands ingame at the current moment. There are already plenty of non-mumble lobbies if you wish to join them. Although I love your suggestions, I think it will be suitable if this was seen by Valve rather than TF2C. I know that you are posting this here because lobbies rely really heavily on mic communication, but I don't think we can do anything about it any time soon.

If you are getting kicked/banned due to your disabilities, post an immediate 'report a player' form and I can guarantee that our admins will fully support you no matter the differences. I can confirm that we do respect all communities regardless of race, gender, disabilities etc. as stated in our rules.

Stay strong and have fun!

Edited by Nerdz, 11 March 2016 - 12:14 PM.

• Neds9kelly likes this

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

#3 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

Could you help me out with the investment decision? How much time would that require is to implement? How many (deaf) players would that actually help? Would the rest of the community willing to wait longer for Advanced Lobbies 2.0 since we have to do this first?

I'm a bit lost buddy, help me out here...

#4 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

There is a ingame caption thing for tf2 noises not related to tf2c. I do not see your suggestions being implemented at all due the fact comp tf2 rely on verbal communication and it's something we encourage alot. I understand it may be hard for you but you will need to try to adapt by yourself.Not sure how many deaf players we even have.

#5 NiCoW

NiCoW

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

Nice topic!

Really hope Nedys that something like that will be implemented :D

#6 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

Link to tf2 closed captions 

https://code.google..../p/tf2captions/

• Bovaidiox likes this

#7 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Could you help me out with the investment decision? How much time would that require is to implement? How many (deaf) players would that actually help? Would the rest of the community willing to wait longer for Advanced Lobbies 2.0 since we have to do this first?

I don't think Neds9kelly means to put this at high priority, he just wants to see a change in the future. But I can agree it's hard to decide what we are doing in the first place if we don't know how many players need this.

• The Recluse likes this

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

#8 Neds9kelly

Neds9kelly

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

I don't think Neds9kelly means to put this at high priority, he just wants to see a change in the future. But I can agree it's hard to decide what we are doing in the first place if we don't know how many players need this.

This is correct, but however, what I would have liked to see is a better way for deaf people to hear/communicate, and not actually relying on the gameplay sound itself. The TF2 captions may be a good idea, but to lots of players (as well as me), they don't tend to work, which is why I tend to avoid it.

I would make a program which is easier to use for deaf/mute people, and use binds (press a key, and an automatic sentence will come out from the person in mic. But however, this may be very tricky to do so, since Mumble will inspect unfamiliar actions, and prevent the person from using mic.

I actually haven't tried playing on a TF2center server, but only because the Mumble requirements were worrying me. I had no idea that it is not forced, and can not be used at all.

I will try to play a few games in TF2center, see what I think, and hopefully report any inconveniences. I will try my best to screenshot/record every action as possible.

#9 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

I'm not sure if you understand what you are asking us. You are asking us to code a completly new program/plugin that is not for the sole purpose of tf2center. Yes this would be a great thing for people but it's not only tf2c related it's any community that uses mumble related.

#10 Neds9kelly

Neds9kelly

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

I'm not sure if you understand what you are asking us. You are asking us to code a completly new program/plugin that is not for the sole purpose of tf2center. Yes this would be a great thing for people but it's not only tf2c related it's any community that uses mumble related.

And is that a problem?

#11 Highvlass Heavy

Highvlass Heavy

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:02 PM

And is that a problem?

Yes, because we're not a website dedicated to improving mumble accessibility. We just use it for comms in TF2.

• Mother Tereza likes this

#12 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:44 PM

Since you failed to provide me with factual numbers on this, I'm going to close this thread. We're not going to spend hours on a feature that is beyond our target audience. Given the DEV shortage we already have, that is just a simple conclusion.

I would like to see a discussion about comp. tf2 in general for deaf people, since I doubt it would be possible at all...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined