• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 barnex

barnex

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

I know it's not a problem for NA, but EU doesn't get a lot of mumble lobbies.

Here's an idea that might change that: mumble encouraged lobby.

• Mumble usage isn't obligatory

• Players when joining can specify whether they are going to use mumble or not

• Players who opted to use mumble are treated as they'd be in mumble required lobby. Can't opt for mumble if their mumbility is non-zero. Can get mumbility for not being on mumble.

• If a slot is taken by someone who haven't opted for mumble, another player can replace him (provided that player chooses to use mumble)

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

The real source of this problem that EU players utilizes different languages and many players doesn't feel himself comfortable to speak English with the strangers. So I'm not sure that this option will help us improve situation around Mumble usage. Actually, ALs are designed to fulfill that niche. But your idea itself is interesting.

• sage78 and Brightly like this

#3 barnex

barnex

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for accepting it for review.

I think most of the players are actually able to contribute to comms in some way, even if they aren't comfortable chatting about their lifes and such. Not a lobby goes by without calls like "sentry down" or "they poped" on an in-game voice chat.

The problem I'm seeing is we're virtually unable to fill a mumble lobby, cause they have a reputation of taking ages to fill. All it takes is for someone who really can't go into mumble-required lobby to make a competing one, and players start leaking faster than they accumulate. I think the proposed idea could solve this issue, mumble-encouraged should fill as fast as a regular lobby, while having a higher concentration of mumble people. It could act as a beacon for people who want mumble, without a serious risk of wasting an hour waiting just to see everyone leave.

Another issue I feel the idea is addressing is that classes that are hard to fill (engie, medic and heavy) rely a lot more on comms. Meanwhile very popular classes like solly, sniper or spy don't really care. That could potentially encourage people who don't have a need for mumble themselves to install it and at least listen to what's going on (cause if you don't, your highly sought after solly slot is as good as gone).  Even if only half of the team wants to actually speak on mumble, the teams benefit a lot from other people being there and listening to their calls. And making the game more fun for the not-so-popular classes could eventually make more people play them.

So while I don't think it's going to solve the deeper mumble issue in EU, I hope this change could make lives easier for those, who want mumble.

Edited by barnex, 31 January 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#4 cyrus

cyrus

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

so u mean they not have to join mumble on mumble lobbies ?

#5 barnex

barnex

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

so u mean they not have to join mumble on mumble lobbies ?

I envision it as a third type of lobby, the mumble-required lobby is going to work the same way it works now.

#6 Miku

Miku

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Sounds like a very good idea.

I rarely see a mumble lobby and, to be fair, it's much more fun when we can talk to each other :3

#7 Highvlass Heavy

Highvlass Heavy

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

This is a rather complicated idea that doesnt serve any purpose.. We have mumble req lobbies if we want people to use mumble, and non req lobbies if you dont want to use mumble. Having a half and half only serves to take all the bad from both.

• cyrus, Pazer and Waffle like this

#8 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:07 AM

Marking as declined.

Archiving. Please submit another form if you would like to bump this idea.

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined