Photo
- - - - -
Community Input

Max hours cap

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Cap on hours (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be an option for a cap on hours?

1. Yes, it would make it easier for players with less hours to find similar people. (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. No, it would be pointless.. (15 votes [46.88%])

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Bank

Bank

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

I was thinking about this earlier. With the influx of new players from Muselk's video, there is quite a big gap in "skill-level" with the newbies and existing TF2 Center veterans. I think it'll be a better experience for everybody if there is a way to make the lobbies a similar skill level for newbies and vets

Edited by Bank, 07 May 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#22 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

I was thinking about this earlier. With the influx of new players from Muselk's video, there is quite a big gap in "skill-level" with the newbies and existing TF2 Center veterans. I think it'll be a better experience for everybody if there is a way to make the lobbies a similar skill level for newbies and vets

At first lobby leaders are too lazy to set up the requirements for their lobbies, after that "vets" are whining "Muslek has ruined TF2C". What a bullshit! Just use these damn requirements to prevent noobs join your pro lobby! Meanwhile, lobbies without any requirements must serve newbies as the entrance point.

#23 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

At first lobby leaders are too lazy to set up the requirements for their lobbies,

I actually think that it has nothing to do with people being lazy, but rather with the fact that people have this notion that lobbies with req's take longer to fill.

While that is technically true it shouldn't be ... most people meet the requirements that I generally see (or set myself) when there are actually lobbies with req's.  As a result the conclusion can be drawn that if people would join lobbies that they are interested in playing (regardless of the reqs) then they would not take much (if any) longer to fill but because of this rediculous notion of "lobbies with req's take forever to fill" people instead do not join those lobbies even when they meet the reqs, thus making that statement a self-fulfilling-prophecy.

Instead what I see happening is leaders will make a lobby with no req's and then kick anyone they think has too low of hours.  Nothing is done to stop them so that is what they will keep doing.

• TheMattgician likes this

#24 Emily

Emily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

I tried to post this earlier so if this is a duplicate, please just delete the thread.

I watched A Duck try to create a lobby today with only newbies but it epically failed because he was unable to keep the more experienced players out of the slots. Would it be possible to add a maximum hours/lobbies restriction to complement the minimum?

Benefits

• Help avoid getting steamrolled by stacked Gold/Plat HL Lobbies
  • Allows new players to avoid getting steamrolled by aforementioned players
  • Allows new players to play with their own skill range

Drawbacks

• More splintering of the community. Rebuttal: all restrictions are optional anyway.
  • Does not prevent alts from getting into low hour lobbies. Rebuttal: I'd say we should cite basic critical thinking skills on their behalf but sometimes people are mean/stupid/oblivious.
  • Will not be used as readily as minimum restrictions. Rebuttal: at least one person one time will use it and the community will benefit.

Is this possible?

Edited by Mother Tereza, 12 May 2015 - 12:37 AM.
Merged threads; Original title: "Implementing maximum hours/lobbies as well as minimum"

76561198073989911.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community Input