Photo
- - - - -
Community Input

Max hours cap

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Cap on hours (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be an option for a cap on hours?

1. Yes, it would make it easier for players with less hours to find similar people. (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. No, it would be pointless.. (15 votes [46.88%])

Percentage of vote: 46.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ATH

ATH

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

So, I'm new to the competitive community (8 months), but my team and I have hours lower than 1k. It's really hard to practice on TF2center with them, because when we all join a team, people with 3k - 4k hours always join. And we just get wiped. This really is insufficient for us, and I came up with the idea of setting an hour cap. This way, we could go against others with less than 1k hours.

I believe this will make more balanced lobbies, instead of the everyday pub roll.

Please, comment on thoughts.

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

This idea has been tossed around before. It makes sense in my eyes, though I have the feeling some problems might arise. Not sure which though.

#3 teebs

teebs

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Alt accounts are the only thing that could cause a problem, but it's an inherent flaw in any skill indexing system. It's up to the TF2Center devs to accept the flaw or not.
  • Brightly likes this

#4 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

ATH,

So I am thinking that one of the reasons that a <1000h user would come to tf2center is to have the opportunity to play with some seasoned players and pick up your game.  Every time I have played with and/or against players that are better than me, I have become better myself.

Would you really not want the (mythical) 8000h medic to join your team and give you calls?

#5 ATH

ATH

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

ATH,

So I am thinking that one of the reasons that a <1000h user would come to tf2center is to have the opportunity to play with some seasoned players and pick up your game.  Every time I have played with and/or against players that are better than me, I have become better myself.

Would you really not want the (mythical) 8000h medic to join your team and give you calls?

Not sure if you understood what I said. The people who are insanely good join the other team, and I'd appreciate it if they were good, but it was to the point I was learning. But it's to the point where they are so good that we don't get a chance to play at all.

I'd love playing with an 8kH med, but that doesn't happen when someone comes in the lobby, sees the hours on both teams, and leaves because there's no way in hell they'd waste their time joining the obvious losing team. 

#6 Damien

Damien

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Here's the thing though. If your team is playing pugs against a team made up of randoms, shouldn't your superior teamwork give you a massive advantage? Even if not, why can't you just set up scrims with people your level and use tf2c as a learning experience? Just suggestions though I see your point.
  • Tury likes this

#7 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

One of the things I love about this site is the ability for people who are new to comp like me to play with people of a much higher skill level. I've made tonnes of friends who've helped me and advised me on tactics and strategy and I would never have met these people if they were seperated from me somehow. I think finding a way to balance lobbies and introduce a variety of skills onto the same team is better than this.

• Tury and Moist Penguin like this
Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#8 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Proposal:  Make a checkbox that can be checked upon lobby creation:  Newbies.  This would cause an indicator on the lobbies page "newbie".  Also in the specific lobby page. It wouldn't block anyone, but encourage newbies and disourage 1337 pros.

This is a more unstructured approach.

• Tury likes this

#9 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

Your idea might work assuming said 1337 pros aren't willing to 'lobby stomp' and ruin those games.

But if we're going through the trouble of having newbie lobbies, why not go wild and have newbie-intermediate-1337 level lobbies?

However, in the grand scheme of things, I think it's better to have another lobby page where the lobbies are serious and there is a ranking system. Though the first step for that is to get down the ranking system, for which I need Ulysse, though he has exams around the corner and isn't that much available.

#10 Clootie

Clootie

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

If there is software for minium hours/lobbies played, maximum for newer players would be great so they dont get stomped

#11 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

So basically have a requirement not to have over a certain number of hours/lobbies.

This has lightly been discussed before, I'll take this to the devs.

#12 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

Talked with the devs.

We'll see if this is necessary after we implement Advanced Lobbies

#13 disLudo

disLudo

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:46 AM

Well I'm going to try to not speak for others, so here I (attempt) to go.

I wish to add a Max Hours System to the Lobby creation system. 

What?

Well, essentially, some players are trying to get into a game or try to get into Lobbies for the first time for one. You don't want some G+ Divisioned Player trashing them because they are better. Sure this will possibly create smurfing, but last night, I had to deal with five platinum players trashing me for three consecutive games. This was annoying, it made TF2center annoying to play and instead of cooperation, we dealt with people making us feel bad about our skills compared to theirs. 

Why?

I'll bullet this one out with a medium description under it.

• Change

This'll allow players to feel relaxed and welcomed. This also allows the more skilled players to play in a more fair way.

• Players

New players can enjoy the fun of doing lobbies by interacting with their team instead of having to push with a ton of frustration due to a Platinum player or Two.

• Balance

Sometimes, you get into a game where somebody just wants to crush you. It's okay, everyone loves the feeling of being victorious. Yet, Gold+ Players only feel little to no desire in wanting to actually try and play the game. If we were implement this suggestion, we'd have a balance of hours in who's been playing how many games and hours.

I hope this suggestion is read with seriousness and consideration. Thank you.

Edited by TheMattgician, 03 January 2015 - 05:53 PM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Add a max hours limit"

#14 pisshead

pisshead

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:02 AM

There's an option when creating a lobby for a minimum number of hours and lobbies, but why not the opposite? A lot of lobbies are ruined by experienced players who expect everyone to telepathically understand their leet strats and have a tantrum when everyone isn't as good as they are.

A maximum limit on experience would enable newer players to enjoy a lobby without the pressure of a Div 4 superstar screaming down the mike and typing 'gg' when you lose the first mid fight.

Edited by TheMattgician, 01 February 2015 - 03:38 PM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Options for maximum hours/lobbies"

#15 Sufir

Sufir

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

Max requirements for lobby - good idea. For newbies it's will be good.

Edited by TheMattgician, 19 March 2015 - 03:13 AM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Max Requirements"

#16 Kengur

Kengur

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

You can use my browser plug-in https://steamcommuni...roups/stars-tf2to get a better picture of player skill levels in a lobby

#17 Tury

Tury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

Skip down to the bottom for the tl;dr version

I honestly am sick and tired of seeing people being unfairly banned from lobbies because they have high hours or they play in a high division. It's really unfair to those who get banned.

If the lobby leader doesn't want plat players joining, then there should be some sort of hour restriction or lobby restriction (if you have over "x" hours you can't join).

It's gotten to the point where people who keep getting banned from lobbies due to their hours or div they play in have started using alts so they don't get banned.

It's ridiculous that someone should get banned because of hours, whether it's because they have too little or too many, it needs to stop. 

14:03:49 TF2Center: BLUE Heavy is now unlocked
14:04:13 TF2Center: Rue was banned from this Lobby by SuperPoxie! lfp latinos
14:04:15 TF2Center: falling and laughing was banned from this Lobby by SuperPoxie! lfp latinos
14:04:22 Tury LFT: ?
14:04:23 SuperPoxie! lfp latinos: platinos u.u ....
14:04:25 Tury LFT: wtf?
14:04:32 Tury LFT: Why did you ban them?
14:05:04 SuperPoxie! lfp latinos: They were platinum
14:05:21 Tury LFT: Rue is a silver heavy
14:05:41 SuperPoxie! lfp latinos: lol 9000 hours + scout = gg
14:05:43 SuperPoxie! lfp latinos: pls ...
14:05:47 SuperPoxie! lfp latinos: Is my lobby lol

It's obvious if the lobby leader is purposefully banning people with low or high hours on purpose, all you have to do is check their TF2Center profiles. 

tl;dr

What I'm suggesting is

Lobby leaders should have an option to make a max number of hours limit just like they can a min number of hours limit. If they don't and they start banning people because of their hours, they should get banned or something. 

#18 TUNE

TUNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

I think hours is the wrong way to track this. Time spent does not equal skill, and it is very easy to create an alt or reset your tf2 hours. I think the easiest suggestion is for your team to admin your own lobby and kick people that you think will off set the balance too much.

Another point is that you need to be setting up a scrim rather than practice on tf2c. You will get a better idea of what your competition will be like by scrimming.

#19 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

What I'm suggesting is

Lobby leaders should have an option to make a max number of hours limit just like they can a min number of hours limit. If they don't and they start banning people because of their hours, they should get banned or something. 

This definetly seems preferable to kicking people, but then people with low hours get banned from lobbies because the leaders are afraid to add restrictions (due to the shitty perception that restrictions make lobbies take forever to fill) and so they kick people instead of making the restriction.  As it is those leader receive no preconceptions so that would need to be addressed.  Before adding a max hours cap restriction would accomplish anything.

#20 Kengur

Kengur

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:27 AM

I really saw this happening only twice. And then it was prem players only. Get rekt  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community Input