Photo

TF2Center Public server Discussion Thread (nocrit / whitelists)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: TF2Center Public Server (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Is a TF2Center Public Server (nocrits, comp maps, whitelists) a good idea?

1. Yea, sure! (34 votes [89.47%])

Percentage of vote: 89.47%

2. Nah, don't think so... (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. Not sure (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Domaytoe

Domaytoe

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

^ this. We just have to try it ... so just hope that the admins of Tf2Center agree and implement a kind of this feature.

#22 JP-

JP-

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

But there are already US nocrit severs in US.

We might expand them but for now lets just make one for EU players, okey?

#23 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

I can provide the server(s) happily, but not the time to admin it on a day-to-day basis. I would be totally up for trying this.

#24 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

+1; we have a ton of servers idling all day, would be nice to put them to good use ;-)

#25 FromZero2Hero

FromZero2Hero

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

It also attracts people that don't know about tf2center. If they notice the servername, the might come take a look and play some lobbies.

#26 Domaytoe

Domaytoe

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Awesome you guys agree ^^. So we can provide the server too. Now it is in your hands to kinda implement a plugin for this to work properly or smth like that. Our server is completely ready to play on,too. As I said we tested that yesterday and it worked properly.

#27 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

IMO, start with EU, test out the idea. Then move on to other areas.

This would probably be your best bet.  Give it a try and see if it is used.  If anything use donated server for testing this to see if TF2C wants to start paying for for them when (if?) they start taking donations assuming the donations are sufficient to cover them after paying for arguably more important TF2C servers for lobbies.  Maybe post the server(s) IP(s) at the top of the main page so that people are aware they are there, with a caption saying something along the lines of "Need a place to warm up while waiting for your lobby to fill?  Then try our No-crit pub server in your region."

When and if you get into wanting to ad and NA (U.S.) server talk to me, I could probably donate my server (for 6mo+, maybe longer but that's the length I usually rent for at a time.) for this since I have too many slots on it anyway, and just get myself another server with only 19 slots for lobbies.

Some things to think about that even if the servers were privately donated is how they should be set up, since they would be TF2C server we would want them to be quality so as to not reflect poorly on the site.

• What Plugins are wanted?
    • For easy admining at least basic Sourcemod would be wanted.
    • Probably and RTV? (skip immediately after vote or wait until end of current map?)
    • Votescramble?
    • Voteskip? (would skip current map but unlike RTV would go to next on rotation instead of voting on next)
  • What Map rotation is desired?
    • The obvious is the current seasons UGC, ETF2L, and Oz map schecule.
    • Maybe include maps in previous 2-5 seasons that might not be on the current schedules
    • Any other maps?
  • Do we want class limits?  If so what classes and what limit?
  • Should a whitelist be enforced?
    • Each league has it's own whitelist so it would be hard to enforce a universal whitelist
    • Probably at least ban any weapon that is banned on all whitelists
    • Maybe a vote (poll) on the forums?
    • What about High 5?  Yeah you can look around corners, but it is a pub and high-fiving people is fun
  • What about map time and round limits?
    • One universal time and round limit? (I personally do not like this as it has several downfalls.)
    • Map specific .cfg's
      • This I think is the best way as it allows each map to have it's own time/round limit.
      • This way you can set PL maps to no time limit so that each team gets a chance to attack and defend without time running out and just end the map after 2 rounds (1 attack 1 D for each team).
      • Stalematy (5CP) maps can be set with a lower time limit/round count so as to keep them from dragging on forever.
      • This would be a little work as it requires setting up a .cfg for each map in the server files, but once we get the map list and decide on these limits then they could be worked on by multiple people and put on a file sharing site (Dropboxe, etc.) and the server operator can then just upload them to the server. (I would be happy to volunteer to help with creating map .cfg's)
    • What about the server .cfg and autoexec?
      • Would you leave that up to the operator (assuming donated servers) or come up with one server.cfg to use for all?
      • At least would need a minimum requirement of cvars needed in the .cfg and autoexec so that the server would meet a minimum standard so that if it is considered a TF2C server it meets a quality requirement. (i.e. things like sv_pure, sv_alltalk 0,  sv_pausable 0, etc. etc.)
  •  What about admining the server?
    • Only use current admins/mods/devs?
    • Add some server only admins so the current admins are not overwhelmed?

That's all I can think of right now, though I'm sure I missed something (If I think of it I'll edit this post later).  This seems a little more complicated than just here is a server someone is donating, now use it for pubs ...

That being said these questions could easily be handled by a small team of around 5 people to work together to decide what would be the best server setup for an official TF2C pub.

#28 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I would offer to help set up the server, I've done it before but I can't do any admin work until June due to my exams. So if June comes around and the server isn't up by then then I don't mind helping set it up.

I also don't mind administrating it but I think we should let the nice and active players play on the servers as I think all the current admins and devs are either too busy or won't be active enough on the server.

We need to decide what the server is for. Is it to practice on comp maps or is it just to have fun? Perhaps we should have 2 servers in the future, one which has no restrictions on maps, weapons, classes etc and one that does.

I would like to add one thing to The Once and Future king's post, we need the sourcemod advertisements plugin so we can put up adverts in the chat about our site or for upcoming events on our site.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#29 jayserp

jayserp

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Is there anyone willing to take the lead on this project to get stuff moving? Be good to take this out of the discussion stage and get implementing...

I'd be happy to write a SourceMod plugin to interface with our current ban system. That way, current mods and admins can have a central place to manage bans, as well as make use of our growing ban database.

jayserp | steam

#30 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Is there anyone willing to take the lead on this project to get stuff moving? Be good to take this out of the discussion stage and get implementing...

I'd be happy to write a SourceMod plugin to interface with our current ban system. That way, current mods and admins can have a central place to manage bans, as well as make use of our growing ban database.

http://forums.tf2cen...rs-idea-thread/

I've decided to take the lead on this.

#31 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Bump.

Are there servers?  Can I help by:

1. Setting up a NA server/servers

2. sourcemod plugin?

etc.

I'm excited about this idea.

Also, rather than plugins - I feel that a lot of this could be taken care of by just replicating some of the files (admin lists, ban lists) instead of plugins hourly or whatever.

#32 Prophete

Prophete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

I can provide a server hosted here in Kentucky. That way we can have a decent spread of regions for better ping ect.

Let me know if you guys want me to and provide the whitelist/plugins/configs you want!

#33 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

this would be awesome. Sometimes, I don't feel like joining/making a lobby and waiting for it to fill. Joining a pub that feels like a lobby would be sweet.

Posted Image

#34 JP-

JP-

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

http://forums.tf2cen...rs-idea-thread/

I've decided to take the lead on this.

yup.

Edited by JP-, 20 August 2014 - 07:41 AM.