#1 fastgiga

fastgiga

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hi,

this is actually more a question than a suggestion:

Why not give users (the lobby creator) the abbility to choose between Teamspeak3 AND Mumble?

I know that in the TF2 community mumble is very popular, but to be honest, TF2 is the ONLY community I know which favors Mumble over TS. I don't want to start a discussion about which is better, just want you to know that there are many people outthere who favor TS over Mumble, and forcing them to use Mumble might not be the best idea to widen your community.

For example ESL Verus system has a very good integration of Teamspeak.

cu

PS: Ofcourse I'm not suggesting to have BOTH at the same time, but I mean that the lobby leader can decide what he wants, TS or mumble everytime he/she starts a game.

• WillieEl likes this

#2 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

I know you said this is more of a question but you actually are making a suggestion here and that is to allow lobby leaders to choose between TS and mumble. Also why is there no mention of Ventrilo and the other hundreds of VoIP programs out there?

If I have to install every program to be able to communicate in lobbies then that's going to be a lot of hassle (and a lot of used hard drive space) to deal with. Not to mention it makes it harder to track users in VoIP programs which is something we might want to do in the future.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

Also why is there no mention of Ventrilo and the other hundreds of VoIP programs out there?

If I have to install every program to be able to communicate in lobbies then that's going to be a lot of hassle (and a lot of used hard drive space) to deal with. Not to mention it makes it harder to track users in VoIP programs which is something we might want to do in the future.

There are many programs that are used yes, but Mumble and Teamspeak are probably the two most popular.  While I doubt a TS option would be used often there are some teams who do prefer Teamspeak (I was on one for a while and I was not a fan due to lack of in-game overlay).

Just because some people might want to use TS doesn't mean you would have to install the program.  If you do not have it already and don't want to install it then don't join a TS lobby and you precious hard rive space will not be used.

Hi,

this is actually more a question than a suggestion:

Why not give users (the lobby creator) the abbility to choose between Teamspeak3 AND Mumble?

I know that in the TF2 community mumble is very popular

That fact that you mention right there about mumble being popular in the TF2 community is probably the reason why not to do it.  In order for the devs to take the time to integrate another comms program it would need to be worth their time and since the vast majority of the competitive community in TF2 prefers mumble I don't really think this feature would get a whole lot of use and if anything filling a TS lobby would be harder than filling a lobby already is.

#4 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Another consideration, Teamspeak is commercial software. We would be liable for 300 dollars a year to licence the server software with the same number of slots we have for mumble.

#5 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

Supporting various software far isn't trivial work. Moreover this is one of most complicated tasks and for obvious reasons we aren't going to spend our valuable time just to please all fans of various voice programms. Insteed of this we would like to focus on developing really useful new features. Personally I also prefer TS, but for TF2C we have choosen Mumble for some reasons.

Declined.

#6 fastgiga

fastgiga

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

We would be liable for 300 dollars a year to licence the server software with the same number of slots we have for mumble.

Wait, I'm not talking about you should host the ts servers yourself. I was more thinking about the lobby creator being abled to use his own TS server.

But I can understand if it is too complecated or too much work

#7 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

We would be liable for 300 dollars a year to licence the server software with the same number of slots we have for mumble.

Wait, I'm not talking about you should host the ts servers yourself. I was more thinking about the lobby creator being abled to use his own TS server.

But I can understand if it is too complecated or too much work

The problem with that is people's TS servers might be a long way from the server you're playing on and the ping might be bad.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined