13 replies to this topic

#1 CardDont Shoot

CardDont Shoot

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:58 PM

Hello everyone.

After playing on the tf2 center lobbies for roughly a week, I feel that I am continuing to run into an issue.

Mainly, when I am unable to connect to a server (timeout, undownloaded map, bad adress w/e). While this isn't normally a problem, the issue comes in the distribution of a rage quit.

I understand why the system exists. it is to keep players in the game for the duration of the round. It encourages sportsmanship and generally fosters a good community. The problem that I am having with this is that while only using the client for two weeks, I already have two of these. My percentage has plummited to 80.

This can be a problem, and a frustrating one especially for those who gain these rage quits by simply glitching out, or not be able to join the server. My browser has now crashed twice when trying to connect to a lobby once all players have chekced their ready status. I feel that there should be something that I could do to prove that I am fully doing my best to connect to the game.

If not, I fear that I will no longer be able to use this client. Which is a shame because I really do love playing highlander here.

Long story short, is there anyone I can speak to about this? Can anyone help?

Thank you for your time.

• Tury, Knightfall, mariPr and 1 other like this

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

The issue is that you are, in fact unreliable. It is more likely for you to drop a game than the average player.

Think of it from the other player's perspective; they just play a lobby and then their teammate drops from the game. They then need to wait for a sub, etc.

Perhaps we shouldn't call it a ragequit, but the reliability system is built so that it would also count glitching out and whatnot. Additionally, reliability is just counted over the last bunch of lobbies. Therefore, if you play a bunch of lobbies with no issues, you'll be back to 100% in no time.

My advice would be try to get everything to work. I use a different browser for playing TF2 and close the usual one when I play. Make sure it's updated and whatnot. Make sure you download all the appropriate maps. Keep track of which servers you tend to timeout from using the tags.

We will implement a system in the future in which you need to sub for 5 games to remove a ragequit. That should help.

• Mother Tereza, Captain Pegleg and Tury like this

#3 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

From UX view I can say that probably the main issue with the "rage" word. I can understand players which got a ragequits due their PC's crash or something isn't connected with the actual rage state. I do agree, this is unfair. So probably would be a good idea to simply rename the "ragequits" to "failquits" or something like this.

• Captain Pegleg likes this

#4 obla

obla

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSydney

Steam Profile

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

I believe the 'quit' part has quite a strong negative connotation too. Perhaps 'Disconnects'?

-poke-

#5 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

"Left Early"

#6 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

I like 'Disconnects'. Single word and to the point.

In our meeting last week, we were also toying with 'Games Left', Abandonned, etc.

One issue that isn't negligible is the angelic karma achievement.

#7 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

Quit is not that huge of a negative connotation, especially when that's exactly what it is.  People quit the game and abandon their team.  If you don't have a computer or internet connection that can handle playing a lobby and you have a lot of unintentional disconnects then maybe you should get your shit fixed.

#8 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

The cooldown system for ragequitters will be implemented soonish. In particular we will rename this parameter to soothe the feelings of players which has been unjustly considered as ragequitters.

#9 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

good call pander to people who get hung up over words instead of focusing on improvements.

#10 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

It's not pandering as much as it is not misleading users. Our usage of the concept of Reliabilty changed since the beginning, and as it turns out, so does what we call a Ragequit. Not to mention this is not a very difficult change to implement.

#11 Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:44 AM

Disconnects is a good term. Maybe "Premature" or "Early" Disconnects? "Incomplete Games" or something similar could also work, just something to describe not seeing a game all the way through for any reason.

76561197964522552.png

#12 cart

cart

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

The issue is that you are, in fact unreliable. It is more likely for you to drop a game than the average player.

Think of it from the other player's perspective; they just play a lobby and then their teammate drops from the game. They then need to wait for a sub, etc.

Perhaps we shouldn't call it a ragequit, but the reliability system is built so that it would also count glitching out and whatnot. Additionally, reliability is just counted over the last bunch of lobbies. Therefore, if you play a bunch of lobbies with no issues, you'll be back to 100% in no time.

My advice would be try to get everything to work. I use a different browser for playing TF2 and close the usual one when I play. Make sure it's updated and whatnot. Make sure you download all the appropriate maps. Keep track of which servers you tend to timeout from using the tags.

We will implement a system in the future in which you need to sub for 5 games to remove a ragequit. That should help.

Is the sub to removea ragequit a thing yet?

#13 jmomo

jmomo

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

The term "rage quit" is definitely problematic and it seems like a consensus has been reached that it should be changed to "disconnects". I agree with that.

However, I see this as a larger issue of players determining the reputation of other players.

One issue that I have with the current page is the "Reliability" counter. It's not what it says it is. How is that calculated? It's either rounded, based on recent time period or play count.

Let's look at an example:

http://tf2center.com...561198165163405

Whopper here has a whopping 11/50 rage quits, which is a 22% ragequit/disconnect rate, meaning his reliability is 78%.

What if Whopper cleans up his act for six months and doesn't rage quit at all. He ends up with 11/200 disconnects.

But then Whopper relapses and starts quitting again. Within a one week period, he has quit 40% of his matches.

His new total is 15/210, but his stats are now a <1% rage quitter with a reliability of >99%.

Both his total history and recent history are valuable information to me as another lobby player. I want to know both, but mostly the recent history.

The current profile display is too simplistic. We need a better way to determine a players reliability and reputation.

Info clutter is bad, but the current information provided is insufficient or confusing to making a determination as to what kind of player another player is.

#14 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:20 AM

Ragequits has been completely removed during the last update:

http://tf2center.com...elog#2015-06-11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed