#1 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

A recent site update has now made it impossible to look at the lobby page while playing without alt+tabbing out of the game.  (See last bullet point of the 9/22 updated in the changelog.  Up until then I would use Chrome to join a lobby and then copy the url so that in game I could shift+tab to see the lobby screen which would tell me who was in the game, who was connecting, and who was/wasn't in mumble.  Now instead I am redirected to a page telling me that steam is an unsupported browser.

I get that steam has it's issues and you guys don't want to support it (or can't support it [or just aren't good enough to support it]) but instead of a complete re-direct couldn't you just put a banner on the page sating that steam is unsupported.  Just because we can't use the reconnect or join mumble buttons in steam (my join mumble doesn't work outside of steam anyway) doesn't mean it doesn't have a good use in that it allows a player to easily check who dropped from the game and weather they are trying to reconnect or not without having to alt+tab out of the game.

• JanJellego likes this

#2 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

So what's the problem with tabbing out?

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

It's just a matter of the fact that I'm not going to tab out of the game in the middle of it if I don't have to.  It's much simpler to just open the overlay and see who just dropped than tab out and oh by the time I am back look at that now I am dead.  Then there's the fact that from what I hear a lot of people apparently have pretty bad computers and can't alt-tab out without crashing (at least that's what I hear all the time while playing.)

What's the problem with allowing people to use the steam broweser?  I used to use it all the time and never had any major issues since I wasn't trying to connect to games or mumble from it.   Why does it need to be completely disabled?

#4 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

It's also a lot easier for us to just leave it like this.

#5 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

Steam browser doesn't support the techniques we require to send in updates

If you crash at alt+tabbing, I suggest you find the cause or enable windowed+noborder mode.

#6 marz

marz

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

Agreed, windowed+noborder mode might be what you're looking for as far as ease of tabbing out goes. But I'd be willing to bet you'll find performance loss with windowed+noborder if your computer already crashes on alt+tab. If you're trying to figure out which class dropped out of game, take a look at the scoreboard. As far as reconnecting goes, sounds like you might have to settle for quitting the game and reconnecting through your browser.

#7 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

Shouldn't be.   Check with someone who's more familiar with the architecture.  I bet they'll tell you it's very easy.

• MatVone likes this

#8 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Check with someone who's more familiar with the architecture. 

You're hilarious naknak; not even going to respond...

#9 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Who can argue with that logic?  I mean, why change anything.  Better to just keep everything as it is now since it is easier than making any modifications.  ( I mean sure it used to work and all you would have to do is revert whatever you did to re-route to the error message but hey that takes effort and who wants to put effort into anything)

On a side not, I love how everyone took this and turned it into a "how to fix crashing when alt+tabbing thread" instead of what it is.  How likely is it that people who crash are even reading this? (hint, I don't have that problem so not very likely)  I was only making the suggestion because alt+tabbing while in the middle of a game has this consequence of taking much more time than shift+tabbing and well when actually trying to play a lobby I prefer to not be spending a lot of time trying to figure out who left and needs to get reported but rather actually playing the lobby but hey once someone leaves what difference does it make anyway?  Guess I should just leave too at that point.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 08 October 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#10 ProfessorCake

ProfessorCake

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPixels

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Put it in this format.

Ask gaben, not TF2C.

Yes mom, I'm thou Heavy main.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined