Photo
- - - - -
Community Input

Discussion about player level separation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Discussion about player level separation (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this is...

1. A good idea! (55 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. Neutral. (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

3. A bad idea! (17 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:56 AM

Only one dev working on TF2C right now; things need time ;-)

It sounds like that dev needs a Ferrari. Or was it a Lamborghini? Thanks for all the work though :)

(Other than that random thing, this post has no point)
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#22 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

Has tf2center given up on solving this problem?

Not at all, and especially if jon's site works I'd reckon we're the first to jump in.

It's a matter of priorities of TF2Center projects. We've got some big stuff coming in.

Why do you say "we" when it's a one man project? Call him by name.

#23 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Has tf2center given up on solving this problem?

Not at all, and especially if jon's site works I'd reckon we're the first to jump in.

It's a matter of priorities of TF2Center projects. We've got some big stuff coming in.

Why do you say "we" when it's a one man project? Call him by name.

I never said it's a one man project; there is only one dev.

#24 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

Why don't you get more devs? Features like team balancing has been requested for over a year now.

#25 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

Why don't you go find us a few...

On a serious note, this would require the following (almost) impossible combo:

• Experienced in Java, Spring, Hibernate (and Wicket)
  • Available for at least 10 hours per week
  • Known around the TF2 comp. scene

Apart from that, I need to bring this person up to speed, which gives me less time to fix bugs/develop new stuff. In the past I have tried this with several candidates and I can only say that Foxy has been the only one who could actually get things done.

Just to give you a bit of perspective: IT companies are having serious issues just getting the first bullet above, let alone the other 2...

MN

#26 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

That's fair enough, I'll just start playing tf2pickup.

• The Once and Future King and bumfreeze like this

#27 JNeb900

JNeb900

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

I agree with #3

I've seen a couple of plat snipers here on TF2Center. Really, why are they playing here if they are in platinum? Just to show off?

#28 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

They're probably playing here because it's the easiest way to get a game at any time of the day.

#29 snqx

snqx

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBadwater

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

It's looks like a good idea even I disagree with #3 but you didn't mentionned another idea (similar to yours) :

TF2C should add a feature in lobbies for leaders (like mumble required or hours/lobbies played restrictions), it can be called the "random scrambling".

The random scrambling should be based on player's skills or your "stars" plugin ranking (http://postimg.org/image/ibzhob7x5/) to be more efficient.

I explain myself :

In IRC (pickups) when you join a team, the BOT scramble automatically players to make a game more interesting. (at least it try to)

Especially in highlander mod, over 75% of lobbies are ruined, too much stack and not fun because it's very unbalanced.

#30 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

STARS is only for ETF2L players (we have players from ESEA, OZFortress, AsiaFortress and UG). and we allow roster riders. In that regard I would say fraac's elo system for teams or Jon's ranking for players http://beta.tf2playerrankings.com/is a bit more inclusive.

#31 Mista

Mista

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:50 PM

What would be best, would be to add a new type of lobby, one that would be a tf2pickup type, in which players wouldn't be able to choose a team, only a class.

#32 ALR18

ALR18

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

TF2 center should have a ranking sistem like cs in order to separate players and make TF2 center a bit more chalanging.

Edited by TheMattgician, 29 March 2015 - 02:52 PM.
Merged Threads; Original Title: "Ranks"

#33 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

What would be best, would be to add a new type of lobby, one that would be a tf2pickup type, in which players wouldn't be able to choose a team, only a class.

been suggested many times ... please take a hint.

#34 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

I agree with #3

I've seen a couple of plat snipers here on TF2Center. Really, why are they playing here if they are in platinum? Just to show off?

If you are plat, you still need to practice.  There are more high level players than you know.  They mostly alt, in order to stay low profile.

#35 TUNE

TUNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

I know that a lot of these solutions haven't been implemented because of the dev time required, so how about a very simple metric for team balance. Look at everyones tf2c Win/Loss record, average the teams w/l percentage and allow lobby leader to set a max variance before lobby can start. Leader has power to kick players to balance teams, and leader should also have the power to override the variance req. and start the lobby manually. 

As an example, let's say that I host an HL lobby, and for sake of easy math, everyone on Blu has a 60% win rate, and red has 9 players that only win 40% of the time. I've set my variance to 10% when creating the lobby so now that everyone is ready my lobby won't start because the variance of 20% is too high. At this point I know my initial idea is supposed to be low impact, but eventually tf2c could suggest which players to swap in order to balance the w/l percentage.  As an idea, Tf2c could also prevent players from joining a certain team if their record would off set the balance too greatly.

What does everyone think?

• The Once and Future King likes this

#36 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

I know that a lot of these solutions haven't been implemented because of the dev time required, so how about a very simple metric for team balance. Look at everyones tf2c Win/Loss record, average the teams w/l percentage and allow lobby leader to set a max variance before lobby can start. Leader has power to kick players to balance teams, and leader should also have the power to override the variance req. and start the lobby manually. 

As an example, let's say that I host an HL lobby, and for sake of easy math, everyone on Blu has a 60% win rate, and red has 9 players that only win 40% of the time. I've set my variance to 10% when creating the lobby so now that everyone is ready my lobby won't start because the variance of 20% is too high. At this point I know my initial idea is supposed to be low impact, but eventually tf2c could suggest which players to swap in order to balance the w/l percentage.  As an idea, Tf2c could also prevent players from joining a certain team if their record would off set the balance too greatly.

Would be weay better than what exists now, but hell so would many easy things that have been suggested like having people sign up for a class and not a team and then assign the teams randomly.

#37 Kengur

Kengur

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

STARS is only for ETF2L players (we have players from ESEA, OZFortress, AsiaFortress and UG). and we allow roster riders. In that regard I would say fraac's elo system for teams or Jon's ranking for players http://beta.tf2playerrankings.com/is a bit more inclusive.

Well this is old infos. STARS also use UGC and Steam hours (by class and map). I looked into ESEA at one time and they don't have any data API whatsoever...

At this point I know my initial idea is supposed to be low impact, but eventually tf2c could suggest which players to swap in order to balance the w/l percentage. 

Actually a swap button for leader would be great. Same class ppl get swapped with teams. Not too much work to implement.

#38 3rand

3rand

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

A simple separation of levels can be achieved by adding MAX hours / lobbies just like MIN is right now. This way people can create lobbies where only beginners can join. A range (MIN MAX) would be even better.

Then this can be inserted as a filter aswell to only see your level lobbies.

Im guessing this is the easiest to implement with the current system. My apologies if this idea is doubled i did not go through the whole thread.

#39 Quack!

Quack!

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

A mix of these two would be great; if a certain checkbox is checked during lobby creation, you will only be able to choose a class and not which team to play for. When everyone has readied up, everyone's skill (based on their TF2 Player Rankings ranks) is averaged and each player is assigned a team. This would result in fairly balanced teams.

Edited by The N00b, 16 May 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#40 Phoenix801

Phoenix801

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

A simple separation of levels can be achieved by adding MAX hours / lobbies just like MIN is right now. This way people can create lobbies where only beginners can join. A range (MIN MAX) would be even better.

Then this can be inserted as a filter aswell to only see your level lobbies.

Im guessing this is the easiest to implement with the current system. My apologies if this idea is doubled i did not go through the whole thread.

Horrible idea, you are just asking for people to make alt accounts.

not every 5k is actually good, and even if they are, who said they want to tryhard to win?
some people just want to relax.

• The Once and Future King and Luop90 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community Input