#1 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

Our team had a heavy and Demo who were not in mumble so I unreadied the team several times trying to get the !repped, and instead my team decided to !rep me for no reason.

Players are as follows:

Name: Timsworth.exe

ID: 0:1:20809720

Name: barycenter

ID: 0:1:47167904

Name: MerCow

ID: 0:0:17968296

Name: Kardbored

ID: 0:1:30809778

Name: xD. HumpStumpsRump  (he !repped me after so his didn't count, but he was the one telling everyone to !rep me)

ID: 0:1:52053588

It was a mumble required lobby.

It happened before the game started so I don't have logs and no lobby# since I couldn't see the lobby page once I was kicked, but I do have my console output which can be found here:  https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Edited by The Once and Future King, 20 August 2014 - 05:03 AM.

• JanJellego likes this

#2 smax

smax

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

At first, The Once and Future King politely asked if our demoman and heavy forgot to join mumble.  I explained to him that both of these persons could not use mumble because alt+tabbing out of their current game could cause a game-crash.  I further explained that the two individuals were in ventrilo with me (the demo and heavy, I was medic) so I could relay the information between the two VOIP clients.  

This did not satisfy The Once and Future King; he continued to threaten "forum reporting" and other things after he continually delayed the game through "un-ready"-ing the lobby.  He also said he would "troll the lobby" if these two players (these are new players to competitive) did not join mumble immediately.  We had to resort to reporting him to start the lobby.  Thank you.

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:53 AM

At first, The Once and Future King politely asked if our demoman and heavy forgot to join mumble.  I explained to him that both of these persons could not use mumble because alt+tabbing out of their current game could cause a game-crash.  I further explained that the two individuals were in ventrilo with me (the demo and heavy, I was medic) so I could relay the information between the two VOIP clients.  

This did not satisfy The Once and Future King; he continued to threaten "forum reporting" and other things after he continually delayed the game through "un-ready"-ing the lobby.  He also said he would "troll the lobby" if these two players (these are new players to competitive) did not join mumble immediately.  We had to resort to reporting him to start the lobby.  Thank you.

I never "threatened" forum reporting for not being in mumble since I know that you will not ban people for that anyway (since we are always told to just !rep them, but that only works if 3 other people will do it.)  After they all reported me I simply stated that I was going to be reporting them here for !rep abuse since I always feel it's fair to inform people that they will be reported so they can defend themselves should they choose to (it was not a threat, it was a statement of the facts[notice I didn't report the people not in mumble but only the people who abused !rep]).  Naturally I un-readied the team since we were not ready with it being a Mumble required lobby and not having a full team in mumble, I don't see why that should be a problem.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 20 August 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#4 smax

smax

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

The Once and Future King is right, there is a requirement for certain lobbies.  However, the manner in how this was handled seemed to contradict the point of growing the game as a whole.  New players are intimidated with the lobby/competitive system (please, look up the above referenced lobby players) and the hostility expressed above has turned these players away.  Personally, I have introduced about six members to the lobby/TF2Center universe within the past week.  Unfortunately, this experience has turned these newer players away because these issues aren't relevant to the contrary TF2 experience: Pubs!

#5 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

I explained to him that both of these persons could not use mumble because alt+tabbing out of their current game could cause a game-crash.  I further explained that the two individuals were in ventrilo with me (the demo and heavy, I was medic) so I could relay the information between the two VOIP clients.

I shouldn't really be posting here as this is not a disucssion forum but your friends in vent could have quite easily joined the mumble first before joining the game, I do this quite frequently as alt+tabbing out of the game can take a while even in windowed mode and can cause my desktop to bug out. Also it's not a case of you relaying the information to them it's them being able to quickly relay information to the rest of the team, heavy and especially demoman are very important classes in HL as they are 2/3 of the main combo along with the medic. They have to be in mumble in order for it to be a balanced lobby otherwise the team with those classes in mumble will most likely have a much easier time.

New players are intimidated with the lobby/competitive system (please, look up the above referenced lobby players) and the hostility expressed above has turned these players away.  Personally, I have introduced about six members to the lobby/TF2Center universe within the past week.  Unfortunately, this experience has turned these newer players away because these issues aren't relevant to the contrary TF2 experience: Pubs!

TF2C do their best to try and make their site as inviting as possible to newer users. Having said that, you and your friends chose to join a mumble required lobby rather than a non-mumble required lobby and you chose not to open mumble before TF2 and so you chose to inconveniance your team, I'm sure OP will have been totally fine with your friends closing the game and then booting up mumble and then reopening TF2. I know this because I have to do it myself sometimes if the mumble overlay is not working.

Honestly I think you and your friends could have handled this a lot better and I would suggest that perhaps the site is off putting because you aren't using it correctly. Also whilst mumble server communication is not important in pubs it is the entire point of comp TF2. The major difference between comp TF2 and "pub" TF2 as you put it is that it is organised and organised solely through the use of mumble. If your friends are not willing or able to do this then comp TF2 is not for them and TF2C can't really help them with this aside from offering non-mumble required lobbies as it's rather implicit in the format of comp TF2.

Edited by R.E.M., 20 August 2014 - 02:27 PM.

• The Once and Future King, <basically deleted> and Tury like this
Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#6 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

Our team had a heavy and Demo who were not in mumble so I unreadied the team several times trying to get the !repped, and instead my team decided to !rep me for no reason.

Sorry guys, I'm going to end this lively discussion.

TOFK, your claim of !rep without reason has been discussed, and is not true.  The reason may have been unfair, but they had a reason.  they were  frustrated at someone unreadying in protest.

Until there is some systematic structure imposed about mandatory mumble (it is being discussed,) I am not sure that they broke enough rules to cause bans.   I am frustrated at players not being in mumble as well, but dealing with it once the lobby starts can be just as destructive to the game or more so than having players not in mumble.

It is my belief that structure leads to behavior leads to culture.   We can't just jump to culture and behavior and expect it to work.  I have lectured people on this at work many times.  Let's give this issue time to work out through system solutions.

I have to reject.  I hope these players know I am glaring at them.

200px-Yukiakari%27s_Glare.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rejected