Flemming

• Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:44 PM

Steam Name: Days since shower: 47
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:58130061

Dear Pittsburgh,

I am writing to appeal my ban for harassment on TF2C. I believe that I have been falsely accused and unjustly punished for behavior that I did not engage in.
I understand that harassment is a serious issue in online gaming communities and I fully support efforts to create a safe and respectful environment for all players. However, in this case, I believe that I have been unfairly targeted by false accusations.
I would like to request that you provide me with specific evidence of the alleged harassment that led to my ban. I am confident that once you review the evidence, you will find that there is no basis for the accusations against me.

Relevant TF2Center rules

The only two rules that could be argued for are 2.1 and 2.5 under the "Chat Rules". 2.5 states that racism and bigotry of any kind is strictly prohibited. I did not engage in activities that could be perceived as such, which I believe is evident in the screenshots below.

[screenshot 1] https://imgur.com/XNtIdZg
[screenshot 2] https://imgur.com/lSGKcPl
[screenshot 3] https://imgur.com/YaPY5Ha

Rule 2.1 states that "Language with the potential to cause offense to other players, including but not limited to: general derogatory language, directed derogation, discrimination, sexual language, or general disrespect towards other players."

I find it fitting to go through each example laid out in rule 2.1.
The definition of derogatory per Merriam-Webster :"expressive of a low opinion : disparaging".
The definition of derogation per Merriam-Webster :"to cause to seem inferior : disparage"
The definition of discrimination per Merriam-Webster :"a

:prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment
racial discrimination

b
: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually"

The definition of sexual language per ReversoDictionary :
"1 of, relating to, or characterized by sex or sexuality

2 (of reproduction) characterized by the union of male and female gametes"

The definition of disrespect per Merriam-Webster : "to lack special regard or respect for :to have disrespect (see disrespect entry 2) for"

I believe that the screenshots provided above clearly show that I did not share, engage or assert any of the following: low opinions of Aura, cause to make Aura seem inferior, prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment towards Aura, sexual language towards Aura or general disrespect towards Aura. I was merely acting in good faith and partaking in the TF2C community through the lobby chat. I request that you reconsider the ban.I am confident that a review of the evidence will show that I am innocent of the charges against me. I would be grateful for any assistance you can provide in clearing my name and restoring my ability to play TF2C.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Sincerely, Days since shower: 47.

#2 Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 03:41 PM

Dear Days since shower : 47

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that you read the rules and wanted to make sure that what you were doing was not going against any of the rules that you've quoted.

However, I would like to remind you that on that same rule page, we have a section clearly stating the following : "These rules are general guideline for what is and isn't allowed whilst using this service. The staff reserves the right to impose punishments on individuals providing disruption to the service that aren't explicitly laid out in these rules."  This means that even if your behavior isn't 100% what is mentioned in the rules, you can still get banned.  

Since you want to bring a dictionary into the matter, let me provide you one of the definitions of harassment : illegal behaviour towards a person that causes mental or emotional suffering, which includes repeated unwanted contacts without a reasonable purpose, insults, threats, touching, or offensive language; behavior that annoys or troubles someone -  https://dictionary.c...lish/harassment

Aura told you to NOT talk to her and to NOT add her. You instead decided to antagonize her, belittle her and wrote to her in a clearly condescending tone, and persisted with that behavior throughout different lobbies. And that is the final reason to why you are currently banned. Please take this time to learn how to take no for an answer. Perhaps a shower too, my friend :)