• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lamp

Lamp

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

Basically, instead of choosing from a preset of 9v9, 6v6, 4v4, etc, you could choose "custom".

You would be prompted with a window that allows you to add classes, and it would generate a server config based on what you chose.

So you could choose to set up a lobby with 9 spies on each team, or make a game with 5 demoman on each team. How about scout, soldier, demo, medic, sniper, spy? What about just 4 medics vs 4 medics?

This also allows for new forms of gameplay/gamemodes to emerge. Who knows what'll become popular.

The only downside to this is that there would be an increase in "joke" lobbies.

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Interesting idea. I would say only forum members would get to do that (not sure how that would be done though), to limit the number of troll lobbies.

I'm afraid that normal lobbies would disappear.

#3 Saga

Saga

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Those customizations would also be pretty much needed if you were to add tournaments and/or duels where players can agree on a stake.

Something I hope you´re gonna add eventually.

#4 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

One of the problems I would see with this is that the !rep system would have to be redone. If you are running 4v4 snipers, you can't do !rep their sniper as this would rep then all.
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#5 Lamp

Lamp

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Although I don't know exactly how the current rep system works, but couldn't a rep "config" similar to the one used for repping scouts in 6s be generated when you put the lobby up?

#6 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

I like the base idea of this, but I think there are a lot of inherent problems with it as well. One such problem being that often there are too many lobbies open as it is and having something that not a lot of people would want to play open is only increasing the problem.

#7 Lamp

Lamp

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

There could be two different tabs for the main page. Approved format lobbies, and then custom lobbies.

#8 <basically deleted>

<basically deleted>

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Mmmh... Tf2center is an introduction to the universe of competition. I think tf2center should stay only with the standards. It's better for beginners i think. :(

#9 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

There could be two different tabs for the main page. Approved format lobbies, and then custom lobbies.

This could actually be a decent idea. It would keep them separated so they don't drive away general traffic from the standard lobbies that everyone is used to. However, that raises the problem of the custom lobbies having enough traffic to be filled at all.

#10 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

Implementing custom lobbies can make a serious negative impact on the fragile TF2C balance. This can open the ways to turn TF2C into another sort of public servers hub. The idea seems funny, but it can distract players from the normal lobbies thus waiting time will become longer.

I think this idea could be the part of TF2C public servers. Like a sort of fancy warm up before/between normal comp matches.

• TheMattgician and LastTalon like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined