Photo

Post/sticky a topic explaining the meta.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _shotaway

_shotaway

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

There should be a post somewhere that's easily accessible that explains the meta of highlander, 6s, bball, ultiduo, etc. This would allow new players to understand how to play or why more experienced players might be annoyed with them. This would generally improve the quality of lobbies as less experienced players would have an idea of what to do. I don't think I need much of an argument about why this should exist because it's kind of a given.

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

Moved into TF2 forum.

Go ahead. Write a post. If it will be good, we will stick it. And btw, we have a special forum for that.

#3 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

There's a post up in the guides forum detailing the current/most of the current meta for medics. I can't write other ones due to not knowing how to play those classes for sure, and their metas.

#4 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I think a fully comprehensive post would be ridiculously long. I think what would be better is for people to find awesome videos or written guides and then provide the user base with these sources. That way we can rely on the advice as most good guides are written by prem to div 2 players and we can also save a huge amount of time writing these guides ourselves.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#5 Lazyfinger

Lazyfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I know that it's kinda unorthodox but when as far as new players are concerned, I prefer not to spell out the meta in order to not be bound by it. If that makes any sense.

#6 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

I know that it's kinda unorthodox but when as far as new players are concerned, I prefer not to spell out the meta in order to not be bound by it. If that makes any sense.

It does but the only thing I would say to that is if we don't explain at least a general outline of the meta then people will just do whatever the hell they want and won't even try to play properly.

Former TF2C Moderator

#7 Lazyfinger

Lazyfinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

What I think the general audience is supposed to abide by are only what's restricted [like class limits] or at least hinted [like distinguishing between pocket and roamer soldiers] by the system.

These are the tools you have as developers to gently direct people towards the "meta".

Want some examples? Sure.

- Make some 6's icons for distinguishing between passive and aggressive scouts on 6's

- Put a tiiiiny divider between the classes in 9v9 to ephasise the fact their positioning is similar:

Scout Solly | Pyro Demo Heavy Medic | Engie | Spy | Sniper

But...

If you don't like my approach here's something you could do that'd be as gentle as a hammer to the head:

Add a tip at the bottom of the lobby page screen according to the format, class, and map type.

Would work best looking like the TF2 class tips at the bottom of the screen.

The system will fetch the format, class, team color and map type the player signed up for, and display a relevant tip for them at the bottom of the screen.

Red\Blu pyro on cp? Move with the combo and protect them from spies and flanking enemies.

Red\Blu engie on ctf? Camp the intel with as much firepower as you can.

Red soldier on cp? Control the flanks, distract the enemy, jump the med to create advantage

Blu scout on pl? Guess

If everyone likes it I'd like to lead the team who writes the tips as a consolation prize for coming up with it even though I think it's a doorway to hell. :)

Edited by Lazyfinger, 01 May 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#8 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

I actually like your idea I think it could work. We already have class guides for the some of the classes on the site and a whole section dedicated to guides/tips etc so maybe we could direct them to that.

Former TF2C Moderator

#9 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

I like that idea too. People could send their suggestions about these, and players could disable them. Dandy.