Photo

When am I ready to play a Competitive for the first time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeeJay28

BeeJay28

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hi there,

I play TF2 for almost 400h by now. I like to play mostly spy, followed by medic. I wanted to start playing competitive tf2, because in pubs, the game is often missing the "team" in Team Fortress 2 (if you know what I mean). The thing is, even though I read that the minimum requirements are 100h, I don't feel that confortable. I wanted to join a lobby recently and when I joined, I saw the others having like 1000h-4000h of gameplay and I was just too scared (you know, either suck at my role and getting flamed by my team how bad I am, or just get rekt by the enemies). 

So I wanted to ask you, what do you think is a good way to see when you are ready to play competitive? I mean I play spy and medic alot and the only time I (usually) die as a medic in pubs is when I get ambushed by an enemy pyro or spy. But I still don't know if I feel ready for playing the most important role (at least in 6v6, not too sure about Highlander). And playing spy in Highlander I feel especially uncomfortable because spy in pubs is just about what the enemies let you get away with so even if I dominate some games from time to time, doesn't automatically mean I'm a good spy.

Tl;dr How many hours should I play tf2 before starting playing Competitive? 

• Furycymn likes this

#2 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

Why set the minimum hours at 100 and still require an "additional" requirement? It's about your attitude: are you willing to listen to your team mates, ask them for help even. My advise is to start with Mumble-required Lobbies and explain to your team that you could use a little help ;-)

#3 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

Since you have the attitude of someone thats willing to learn, I think you are almost ready to start!

My personal advice would be to watch some video youtube tutorials of competitive gameplay so you know roughly what to do and what is expected of your class.  Then become familiar with a couple maps and play some pubs on those maps.  Then pick the class that you feel most comfortable on.  I would advise against playing main classes like demo and medic in highlander, or pocket or medic on 6's when you are just starting off.  I'd recommend highlander first, as it is more forgiving, and if you mess up and die at a bad time its usually no big deal as there are 8 other players to back you up.  Mumble required lobbies are also a much better place to learn as you will hear people making calls and gradually learn the callouts and general strategies of the game.  Have fun!

#4 BeeJay28

BeeJay28

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:25 PM

@MasterNoob I have no idea how the TF2 community in general is like. I have bad experience from cs go, because there you can be good or bad, your team (or at least someone in your team) will always find a reason to blame and flame you. League of Legends is kind of similar with like 75% beeing indifferent, 15% flamer, 6% Superflamer and 4% kind player (consider having 5 ppl in a team and 21% chance for a flamer = theres a flamer in every game).

Anyway, how about spy in Highlander? I can keep distance to medic in my first games but what are classes that you would categorize as beginnerfriendly in competitive?

#5 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

Sure, spy, scout, soldier or sniper; maybe pyro as well.