• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hamaham

hamaham

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

I know we have a min lobbies/hours cap to keep new, or not-so-experienced players away, but can there be a cap to keep more experienced players away? For example, when I create a lobby it's annoying facing an hugely stacked team.

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Not too bad an idea.

#3 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Another suggestion we've had is to be able to put a "suggested skill level" on lobbies which would either give a range of divisions (6 to prem) or would have a colour e.g. green for beginners, yellow for intermediate and red for pro.

• TheMattgician likes this
Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#4 Widd3rshins

Widd3rshins

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

I was about to post about this, I don't think having fewer game hours logged should preclude you from playing. I've created lobbies with my friends, and and most of us have less than 1k hours, but ended up playing with people with1/2k hours +.

An hour cap for certain lobbies, or at least graded lobbies would be great, there are lots of us with less experience that are interested in playing comp, and getting stomped on by really experienced players doesn't help us learn anything.

I'm not saying challenges are bad, but if you can't even get out of spawn or win a midfight because the other team has about 10x more game experience, most people would end up feeling pretty demoralized.

#5 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

This is a lot like what was being talked about in the thread suggesting lobbies be randomized in order to prevent stacking. I noted that a better way to prevent stacking would be to be able to suggest a skill level for a lobby or possibly even having hard restrictions.

I support this idea.

#6 glitter

glitter

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

I agree that there should be a recommended skill level for lobbies to prevent stacking. However, I don't think the max hours/lobbies is the best way to go about it. Player hours and lobbies played do not correlate directly to their skill level. Someone with 3000 hours could be steel and another with 1200 could be gold.

Definitely like the idea of having lobbies with suggested div. It'd be great to have an option that does not require a specific skill level, too, so that players new to comp can interact with more experienced players. I've learned a ton from better players, even if it was a roll.

I'm curious as to how it would be enforced (if at all... there's no way to actively prevent stacks or trolls) or if it'd merely be a suggestion to players. 

• The Once and Future King likes this

#7 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

I agree that they aren't the statistics best correlated to a player's skill, but at the moment we don't have a lot of data collected on individual players other than that to determine their skill.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined