5 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

I feel kinda useless in HL PL defense. I've been just hanging around the sentry and spychecking, and picking anyone who pushes up alone. But good players don't suicide like that, so what should I do?

I love offense, though. I'm one of those lame-o's that actually likes being on the cart (if there aren't 2 people on it already) cause, well, I like to win!

#2 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

Generally, you want to get picks on the flank classes, like Soldier, Engineer, Spy, Sniper and the opposing Scout. Work with the combo by focusing on the classes that threaten them, especially whilst they aren't concentrating on those classes in particular. Coordinating attacks with your Soldier and Spy is usually the best way to get picks on PL defence.

• Schalla likes this

Posted Image

The river Styx is calling your number.
The hot winds of Hell breathe your name.

#3 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:21 AM

When I play scout (which it is rare), I generally play with the soldier. Him and I become buddies, and I usually try to harass the sniper, as keeping the sniper down is one of the most important goals. When it works, you can keep the sniper out of the way, and your own sniper can eat up the combo, which helps a lot. 

When it doesn't work, well, there's always the next life xD

Generally if they're pushing last, I run mad milk + sandman, and just be a nuisance. Stun the medic whenever possible, and milk the players on the cart if they group on it. On upward, I try to hold the upper room on the right, and use it to keep anyone from going up there uncontested. 

On swiftwater, last is more tricky. I generally keep to the vents on the left of the cart, and jump in and out attempting to draw attention away.

On badwater, I try to hold tires, and keep the sniper out of the window. Its all about being a nuisance :P

• Captain Pegleg likes this
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#4 Kaelan Frey

Kaelan Frey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's the same thing as in 6v6: you watch the flank, pick overextenders, pick <100hp players and capture objectives twice as fast.

Though, HL Scout has an added bonus of being able to use the Mad Milk, which is stupidly useful if your team wants to push versus a large amount of players in the same spot.

• Luop90 and Captain Pegleg like this
div5 player

#5 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

A lot of what was said here is dead on.  Work with the soldier to help cover flanks, pick low health classes and anyone that someone calls as having dealt high damage to (finish off low health players), pick overextenders, and Milk large groups (or extinguish your medic if the pyro is not around and he is on fire).

The one thing I don't see mentioned is that as a scout you are the fasted player in the game (other than maybe the soldier with jumping) as such when anyone on your team calls for help you can probably have the fastest response, so if you are not otherwise occupied go help them out.

You can also work with other classes like solly/demo/heavy to have them hid behind a corner and try to draw the other team in.  Since scouts are weak they might chase you when they shouldn't and as soon as they turn the corner or get through a choke instead of finding you alone they hit a sticky trap, take a rocket to the face, or are mowed down by a minigun.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 23 December 2014 - 12:17 AM.

• Kaelan Frey and Captain Pegleg like this

#6 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:46 AM

I've mainly played 6s so I had no clue Mad Milk was allowed in HL, this is really good stuff, thanks!