• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSapphire

BlackSapphire

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

Well this happened to me today, I joined the mumble required lobby and almost everyone on my team joined it, but still, there were barely 4 people active there. After the mumbility'd beein implemented, people just tend to join mumle and block both voice and sound so they don't get repped. I'm personally fine with people not talking, but it completly changes when they don't even listen. And it's always too late when we actually figure out that these people is ignoring your calls, so repping them before the game start is not an option neither. Any ideas on how to avoid it? 

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:33 AM

This is avoided. People who have deafen themselves aren't counted as being in Mumble.

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

Given the fact that this guy says it's too late to rep by the time you realize they are not listening to calls I think it is safe to assume that they are not using the me or Deafen feature in mumble. Seriously, do you people even read these posts before responding? Or did you read it and are you saying that TF2C has some kind of way to magically tell when people are using the system mute instead of the mumble mute?

#4 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

Given the fact that this guy says it's too late to rep by the time you realize they are not listening to calls I think it is safe to assume that they are not using the me or Deafen feature in mumble. Seriously, do you people even read these posts before responding? Or did you read it and are you saying that TF2C has some kind of way to magically tell when people are using the system mute instead of the mumble mute?

people just tend to join mumle and block both voice and sound so they don't get repped.

Which does strongly suggest that the deafen feature is being used here and not the system mute, which means they'll be punished regardless. Even if a system mute was used to attempt to circumvent the system, it's pretty easy to tell when it's being used or not (not following commands, roaming aimlessly as Pyro etc).

Posted Image

The river Styx is calling your number.
The hot winds of Hell breathe your name.

#5 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

. And it's always too late when we actually figure out that these people is ignoring your calls, so repping them before the game start is not an option neither. Any ideas on how to avoid it? 

This sentance very strongly implies they are not using the deafen feature.  If they are using the deafen feature the overlay will show it and you would know before the game starts and not after it is too late.

#6 marqueee

marqueee

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:31 AM

The way mumbility is being implimented is really inconsistent. I shouldn't be punished for closing my mumble when I have to restart it to get into the proper channel. This has happened to me 3-4 times now, with one time with me auto connecting properly with no need to restart. This makes subbing a landmine, since I might get restricted for an hour after subbing for 5 minutes or less over something so asinine. This really needs to be adressed.

#7 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

Subs aren't punished if they haven't been in the lobby for at least 10 minutes. That way if a sub joins, and the lobby closes a second later, the sub won't get punished because they didn't have a chance to get in mumble.
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#8 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

. And it's always too late when we actually figure out that these people is ignoring your calls, so repping them before the game start is not an option neither. Any ideas on how to avoid it? 

This sentance very strongly implies they are not using the deafen feature.  If they are using the deafen feature the overlay will show it and you would know before the game starts and not after it is too late.

If you have TF2 open before Mumble, the overlay will not be displayed over TF2.

Posted Image

#9 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Okay, maybe I'm giving too much credit to the TF2 community.  Guess I should do like you and assume everyone is an idiot and therefore won't have an overlay instead of assuming that most people are smart enough to start mumble before TF2.

But then, they could also alt+tab out of the game and see on the lobby screen (used to be able to shift+tab but ya'll took that away) to see who is muted/deafend by the mumble icon, so no I guess I was right the first time.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 18 November 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#10 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

That's what I'm getting at, by the time they've managed to get the time to Alt + Tab, they're too late.

• marqueee likes this

Posted Image

#11 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

That's what I'm getting at, by the time they've managed to get the time to Alt + Tab, they're too late.

Seems unlikely given that lobbies never get their players in and start immediately.  Even if it started right after the last person entered the game and the last person was on your team you would have had the time to check the other 7 players on your team so there would be at least 8 active in mumble, not 4 as stated in the original post.  There is no way that you don't have enough time to check 3 of those 4 who you seem to think are muted/deafened (It's also highly unlikely the overlay isn't on anyway so you don't even need to do the alt+tab to check).

#12 RTC

RTC

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

You're really splitting hairs here at the moment. What's important is that we've solved the deafen issue, it's now a matter of working to combat a relatively troublesome issue with users manually muting Mumble. I personally think it's cretinous that people will go to those lengths to not hear people in Mumble, but if it's a reoccurring issue, it needs to be addressed.

The issue at hand in this thread here DOES sound like a deafen problem though, but I do appreciate your input for pointing out another way to cheat the system. My best advice is to use some perception to analyse those who truly are using Mumble (obviously those speaking are, and those responding in game chat to any comms).

Posted Image

#13 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Okay, maybe I'm giving too much credit to the TF2 community. Guess I should do like you and assume everyone is an idiot and therefore won't have an overlay instead of assuming that most people are smart enough to start mumble before TF2.

But then, they could also alt+tab out of the game and see on the lobby screen (used to be able to shift+tab but ya'll took that away) to see who is muted/deafend by the mumble icon, so no I guess I was right the first time.
I'm one of those idiots, since I've been autoreported more than once because my game took too long to load, and I use Chrome so it doesn't autoconnect me the first time anyway (and I'm not the only one!)

I guess we'll have to wait for OP to clarify; it sounds to me like he thinks people get reported and replaced in Mumble lobbies if they are deafened, though of course that is just how I am interpreting him.

Edited by Captain Pegleg, 18 November 2014 - 10:26 PM.

• Captain Pegleg likes this

#14 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

You're really splitting hairs here at the moment. What's important is that we've solved the deafen issue, it's now a matter of working to combat a relatively troublesome issue with users manually muting Mumble. I personally think it's cretinous that people will go to those lengths to not hear people in Mumble, but if it's a reoccurring issue, it needs to be addressed.

The issue at hand in this thread here DOES sound like a deafen problem though, but I do appreciate your input for pointing out another way to cheat the system. My best advice is to use some perception to analyse those who truly are using Mumble (obviously those speaking are, and those responding in game chat to any comms).

You are probably correct.  Even though the language used does imply that it is not a deafen problem I have seen plenty of threads where I assumed one thing based on the language and someone responded with a post that was not even close to what the original post was saying but instead assumed the original poster was and idiot who can't use English properly so answered a different question/comment than the OP actually made and it turned out the response was right even though it didn't answer the post based on the correct understanding of the language used.  There is a strong chance that is the case here and this guy just didn't word his original post correctly.

Regardless I have not noticed people using the system mute or not using their mic/not having a mic despite not being muted, I'm sure it happens (especially people joining mumble without actually having a mic) but doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem.

#15 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

Regardless I have not noticed people using the system mute or not using their mic/not having a mic despite not being muted, I'm sure it happens (especially people joining mumble without actually having a mic) but doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem.

There is a huge difference in Mumble usage between EU and NA. There are far more problems in EU, where people do not show up, mute and/or deafen themselves, etc... It must have something to do with English not being their first language.

So we're dealing with a "cultural problem" (as I'm told by really smart people), which is really hard to solve by technical solutions. It will over time tho... 

#16 JohhnyTopside

JohhnyTopside

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

I really don't like the new system for mumble. Sure it encourages more people to use it which I like, but I've been temp banned twice now because my Mumble is buggy and often requires a restart. (Sometimes mid round) I can't say it's fair to punish me because mumble is unreliable and I think bans should be left to players to sort out rather than a bot.

#17 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

I really don't like the new system for mumble. Sure it encourages more people to use it which I like, but I've been temp banned twice now because my Mumble is buggy and often requires a restart. (Sometimes mid round) I can't say it's fair to punish me because mumble is unreliable and I think bans should be left to players to sort out rather than a bot.

I really like the new system for mumble. You should get your shit in order and join Mumble, just like everybody else does.

• The Once and Future King likes this

#18 Walnut

Walnut

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

This new system is a bit annoying. Mumble crashed, didn't even know because no one was talking, and I've recieved a ban. No one talks any more than they used to sinced I've started playing in lobbies.

#19 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

This new system is a bit annoying. Mumble crashed, didn't even know because no one was talking, and I've recieved a ban.

You really want us to take you seriously? Sigh....

• The Once and Future King likes this

#20 Walnut

Walnut

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

Not going to be taken seriously lol, good hospitality from a staff member. This system is useless and broken as it is now and nothing has changed. The past 20 or so lobbies I've played recently have had either 1-3 talking or no one talking. It's pissing people off with all the false bans being delivered.

• Captain Pegleg likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed