20 replies to this topic

#1 xenith

xenith

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

http://www.reddit.co...experience_the/

Saw this, looked very interesting to say the least. Thoughts?

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

Very exciting stuff, looking forward to the release! 

I am 'WOW-ed' by the 5000 matchmaking servers.

#3 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

It'd  be interesting to see this if it ever actually comes out. Interesting how they can support '5000 matchmaking servers' that are up to par with no donations..

#4 icy

icy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

It'd  be interesting to see this if it ever actually comes out. Interesting how they can support '5000 matchmaking servers' that are up to par with no donations..

billGates_large.jpg

#5 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

They can't, simple as. That costs tens of thousands of dollars a month. It's either a wild exaggeration, or bullshit :)

#6 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

They can't, simple as. That costs tens of thousands of dollars a month. It's either a wild exaggeration, or bullshit :)

it's easy to spawn 5k instances of TF2 servers :/

#7 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Recommended 512 MB ram per server puts it at 2.56 Terabytes of ram. Plus, thats ten servers for every active player on the site.

#8 OpenCenterTV

OpenCenterTV

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:16 AM

I'm one of the developers of TF2Games, I don't know though do I have freedom of speech here.

We operate our own machines that run on proper hosts around the world. It is not something a single person could do, or even few. You need kinda active team to make that happen. As far as I'm aware though about this project, it will indeed be little bit pricey for the service, but since every team member has promised to donate regularly, it should be possible, according to our "boss".

But I can't speak over the project all by myself, as I'm just part of it. I understand the whole server thing can cause some confusion though.

• Roxanne likes this

#9 icy

icy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:49 AM

I'm one of the developers of TF2Games, I don't know though do I have freedom of speech here.

We operate our own machines that run on proper hosts around the world. It is not something a single person could do, or even few. You need kinda active team to make that happen. As far as I'm aware though about this project, it will indeed be little bit pricey for the service, but since every team member has promised to donate regularly, it should be possible, according to our "boss".

But I can't speak over the project all by myself, as I'm just part of it. I understand the whole server thing can cause some confusion though.

or we can just go back to my inference:

#10 xenith

xenith

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:09 AM

or we can just go back to my inference:

What are you even contributing to this discussion?

#11 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I welcome anyone trying giving attention to the competitive TF2 community. You can see from the tone in this thread that everyone is a bit skeptical on how a monthly cost of tens of thousands isn't being addressed in the reddit post or dismissed as "pricey".

that plus the promise of making something in a short timespan on which most of us worked for over a year

#12 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

5,000 servers LOL... Why would any one launch with 5K servers, thats ridiculous.  Start small and build up as needed.

Start with 50 servers (should be more than enough honestly).

#13 ManSkirtDude101

ManSkirtDude101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

People could abuse the servers and make joke lobbies if they really have that many servers.
76561198074630755.png

#14 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

It is up to 5000 servers actually. Our team member have been going and spreading that information without "up to" and that might cause some misunderstandings. We have ability to run 5000 servers but that will be an absolute limit. We have no intentions to run less or much more servers that are required. Most likely (really most likely) those 5000 servers will be too much so we will run fewer better working ones. Still we will host enough servers all around the world to fulfill the needs of TF2G and each game. People who want to play the game casually most likely would choose public servers over ours.

^^ on their group page

So basically exaggeration

Edited by kyumin2lee, 07 October 2014 - 05:42 PM.

• ManSkirtDude101 likes this

76561198143384608.pngAddFriend.png

b_560_95_1.png

#15 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

...it should be possible, according to our "boss".

So, is this "boss" paying for your efforts?

#16 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

http://np.reddit.com..._but_has_there/

DRAMA

They do need to step up on PR and transparency  -_-

b_560_95_1.png

#17 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:55 PM

They're probably using the domain games.tf, as another person already bought tf2games.com/.net and it forwards you to the troll song xD
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#18 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

They're probably using the domain games.tf, as another person already bought tf2games.com/.net and it forwards you to the troll song xD

As many web masters say.... BUY YOUR DOMAIN FIRST. XD

Can't believe that he actually spent money just to troll then. But then again his Reddit profile suggests he's a guy about computer internals.

b_560_95_1.png

#19 ManSkirtDude101

ManSkirtDude101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:57 PM

Can't believe that he actually spent money just to troll then. But then again his Reddit profile suggests he's a guy about computer internals.
More suprising people are idiotic enough to believe hIm.
76561198074630755.png

#20 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

More suprising people are idiotic enough to believe hIm.

Welcome to the internet.

Specifically, /r/tf2.  B)

b_560_95_1.png