Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hello.

A question here.

What is the 'average minimum' needed to become a member?

Like, is it hard to become one?

It is as hard as becoming an admin or dev?

Does one need any special skills or have used tf2center for very long to become one?

Hard to explain... but what 'tier' is a Tf2center member?

76561198143384608.pngAddFriend.png

b_560_95_1.png

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

There's not necessarily a requirement. It all depends on your application. Generally, special skills are valued, but at the same time knowledge and knowing the game inside and out is also very good.

Members are one step up from general players. They get a forum where they have more access to the moderators/devs, and at this point that's basically it - they are generally people who want to help the community.

Also, becoming an admin or dev is much, much different. :P

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

Basically, being a member is your first step towards being a part of TF2C. There's a private forum just for them. It's really not that hard to become one, just show your engagement and don't be banned (which seems to be less straightforward for some people).

To become an admin, we expect you have have been around on the forums, be an active part of the community, etc.

Becoming a developer is I think unheard of. All of them have been here from the start (more or less), so I suppose you'd have to at least be an admin for a while.

Applications don't hurt though! It usually takes a while for them to get processed, it's not always on top of admin's priority list.

#4 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

Sorry for this necr, but may I ask why one has to state their real name and age?

Just asking, it isnt a problem for me, but I can imagine many people feeling uncomfortable posting such stuff online.

b_560_95_1.png

#5 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

Age is there so we won't get immature spammers. (Also something about the USA's Online Child Protection laws)

Not sure why name is required, but there's probably some reason behind it.
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#6 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

Age is there so we won't get immature spammers. (Also something about the USA's Online Child Protection laws)

Not sure why name is required, but there's probably some reason behind it.

Oh right but surely the application process deals with immature kids. Also, its not hard to lie about ages (i.e Facebook) But anyway its a thing.

The name... yeah, can someone give us a answer to this?

b_560_95_1.png

#7 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think people just get way to paranoid about that kind of stuff.  It's not like people knowing you real name is an actual issue.  What is someone going to do with that kind of information?  Nothing it is absolutely useless, oh so you know my name, big deal what are you going to do with that information?  Nothing that's what.  Unless your a troll who thrives on anonymously being a giant ass hat why does the loss of anonymity matter?

I mean, I'm a generally paranoid person.  I always sit in restaurants with my back to the wall and I assume everyone is out to get me.  I believe in a lot of conspiracy theories that many think are absurd and I assume that a 1984 type world is not far away.  I just don't give a shit about a lot of online "privacy" concerns that people have.  This whole online privacy issue has been so over worked by the media that now they have the general public thinking that it really matters.  Back in the day you could look up anyone's address and phone number in a phone book and now the idea that someone could go online and find your phone number scares people.  cause what they are going to call you and force you to take it instead of ignoring the call?  I just don't understand the obsession

/rant.

Back on topic, if your going to be doing something so irresponsible that you don't want to provide your first name (not even your full fracking name) in fear of loosing anonymity then you probably shouldn't be applying to be a member of anything.  Maybe the better question is "Why should providing a name be a problem?"

Edited by The Once and Future King, 28 October 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#8 kyumin2lee

kyumin2lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

I think people just get way to paranoid about that kind of stuff.  It's not like people knowing you real name is an actual issue.  What is someone going to do with that kind of information?  Nothing it is absolutely useless, oh so you know my name, big deal what are you going to do with that information?  Nothing that's what.  Unless your a troll who thrives on anonymously being a giant ass hat why does the loss of anonymity matter?

Exactly what I think.

Read 

Just asking, it isnt a problem for me

I was just asking dude. No need to shout at me.

b_560_95_1.png