#1 icy

icy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

This could be useful when you need to speak in private with a staff or a friend in the main chat box. The argument could be like !pm [steamname] "message". I've set up an example situation:

MY CHAT POINT OF VIEW-

12:45:03  Random Person:    nahl badwater pls

12:45:09  icyfrenzy:    !pm ninjaMooCow the leader of the upward lobby is trolling

12:45:10  TF2Center:    [PRIVATE MESSAGE] ninjaMooCow has been notified about the private message.

12:45:28  TF2Center:    [PRIVATE MESSAGE] ninjaMooCow --> you:    ill look into it

NINJA'S CHAT POINT OF VIEW-

12:45:03  Random Person:    nahl badwater pls

12:45:10  TF2Center:    [PRIVATE MESSAGE] icyfrenzy --> you:    the leader of the upward lobby is trolling

12:45:27  ninjaMooCow:    !pm icyfrenzy ill look into it

12:45:28  TF2Center:    [PRIVATE MESSAGE] icyfrenzy has been notified about the private message.

Of course the argument won't be visible to others. The only problem I could think is that some people are lazy to search up the SteamID of the person they want to private message.

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

I believe a notification system is somewhere on its way. Depending on how that's implemented, it might not even be that hard to implement your idea. The problem is that it could be abusable (spamming mods and whatnot).

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

Talked with the team, the general consensus is that although it's a nice idea, it involves a lot of design issues, could potentially raise a lot of problems related to abuse etc. I'll mark this as declined, but this'll be in the back of our head and might be reconsidered depending on coming features.

• Lescalm likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined