5 replies to this topic

#1 georgebaii

georgebaii

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

I'm a big fan of Scout, Soldier and Medic and end up practicing them a lot on pubs. But considering 6's requires a lot of knowledge of all the classes in TF2, should I practice offclasses as often as my main ones and is It necessary to have sense with every single class in the game or just one or two offclasses?

#2 icy

icy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:56 PM

You need a basic understanding of all the core classes in 6s. If you plan on maining scout in 6s, you need to have lots of knowledge for 6s scout.

In 6s, you need to learn:

• Positioning
  • Map Knowledge
  • Communication
  • Knowing your type of medic
  • Some more stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I suggest you playing Highlander first, then slowly move on to 6s. When it comes to types of lobbies, Center is generally at the lowest. If you get comfortable with center, move up to tf2.mix.na on IRC, and then eventually tf2.pug.na.

Edited by icy, 17 September 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#3 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

You need a basic understanding of all the core classes in 6s. If you plan on maining scout in 6s, you need to have lots of knowledge for 6s scout.

• Positioning
  • Map Knowledge
  • Communication

I suggest you playing Highlander first, then slowly move on to 6s. When it comes to types of lobbies, Center is generally at the lowest. If you get comfortable with center, move up to tf2.mix.na on IRC, and then eventually tf2.pug.na.

I wouldn't necessarily say the lowest. It depends on what level of players you are playing with.

• Shea likes this

#4 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

It depends what you end up playing. Obviously the more knowledge you have of other classes the better.

As a Medic main you would need to play scout + solly at least a bit (which is good since you're already doing this). Demo is not so required because it's actually pretty similar to medic on a surprising amount of ways (positioning, movement etc).

As a Pocket soldier you would need to play a lot of medic and probably a lot of scout just so you can understand their movement patterns and how they work. Most important thing with pocket is probably practicing killing stuff really quickly with the rocket launcher + shotgun because you will need to do this really quick and just general practice of DM. Pockets always need good DM because they're getting a lot of the heals and they need to be able to do something with that.

As a Roaming soldier, play jump maps. Lots and lots of jump maps. The better you are at rocket jumping the more mobile you'll be. Try practicing "bombing" certain players especially medics and also watch a few roamer PoVs just to get a sense of what a roamer does and when.

Tbh though if you put the work in you could go far as playing those 3 classes a lot is a great start. The big mistake I made was fixating on one class (medic) and therefore my surfing at least initially was pretty bad and I still don't really fully understand how pockets are supposed to be played.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#5 icy

icy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

• Positioning
  • Map Knowledge
  • Communication

I wouldn't necessarily say the lowest. It depends on what level of players you are playing with.

It's generally the lowest. Sure it does depends on the type of players, but you won't be seeing high open+ or plat players on center too much.

#6 ProfessorCake

ProfessorCake

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPixels

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

What you really need over-all (and applies for every class) Is game sense. 

You need to know how much damage your class can take, when to push, when to backup, when to shoot... ect!

The main Issue you don't ever want to have Is feeling that your class cannot be killed, then you over-extend to the enemy's spawn.. .AND, get yourself killed. Like I said, game sense is the most important part, you really need to focus and you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Also an Important thing Is always stay calm In comms. In case you don't know what comms are, It's basically how the team communicates. Mumble, Team Speak, Skype.. ect..

Anyways, like I said, it's important to always stay calm and call out what the enemy is doing. But don't spam it all at once, say out short sentences that people can understand. Example: Spy as Spy on mid

But yeah, besides the skill part, this is the "knowledge" part about it. My personal advice.

Good luck!

Yes mom, I'm thou Heavy main.