15 replies to this topic

#1 Zantza

Zantza

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hi there,

I think, as the title states, the community is very corrupted. By corrupted I mean that constantly, in most lobbies, there is some asshole trying to make others feel bad. I'll give you a few examples of what has happened in my 250 lobbies played. So, one time there was a guy joining random lobbies' mumble channels and just talking shit. There was one kid he really teased the fuck out of. The kid complained about it in in-game chat, and no one gave a shit. After that he joined the mumble channel of another lobby I was playing in. You can guess what happened in that channel. Like, how can I report someone trolling on mumble? He's practically untraceable, isn't he?

And it doesn't end there. Endless spamming in chat (both mumble and in-game voice chat AND in-game text chat), not letting the noobs play, reporting a medic instantly for dropping an uber,(has happened to me, this is exactly why people don't play medic..)or some other gameplay mistake (like not getting a single score 1 minute into the game) and BOOM! here comes the rep hammer, saying someone is a faggot/gay/retard/noob and generally just constantly the players are insulting each other. When the painful matches are finally over you get the top scorers of the other team saying: " haha noobs get rekt". If you start complaining about something mid-game then you get "shut the fuck up and play faggot" or something similar. I bet I forgot some other stuff I've encountered in the past few months.

Also, does the site have some quick way to report this assholeness? So far the only thing I've found is the forum section where you can maybe get someone banned.

So, have you encountered any of this stuff? I'd love to get a conversation up.

• Enginty likes this

#2 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

A mumble channel block is going to be implemented as soon as the mumbility feature can get the slight bugs grinded out of it.

As for tracing them, yes, it is possible. Mumble keeps track of a ton of logs. Post the player names, channel #, and rough time of day, and we can track them down.
  • TheCapeKid likes this
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I've alway been fine, but I usually have the TF2C tag. I try to take the side of the newer player, insisting that the more skilled players help rather than bash.

Also, you can always record on Mumble.

#4 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

I've alway been fine, but I usually have the TF2C tag. I try to take the side of the newer player, insisting that the more skilled players help rather than bash.

I would not necessarily recommend recording without asking - if I was being recorded without knowing i'd be pretty pissed.

#5 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

I would not necessarily recommend recording without asking - if I was being recorded without knowing i'd be pretty pissed.

Nothing really to get pissed about there.  The government is already doing it, nobody knows who you really are, and in most states 1 party consent is all that is legally needed to record a conversation.  What is the problem that would make you so pissed?

Edited by The Once and Future King, 16 September 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#6 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

Nothing really to get pissed about there.  The government is already doing it, nobody knows who you really are, and in most states 1 party consent is all that is legally needed to record a conversation.  What is the problem that would make you so pissed?

It just feels kind of creepy. Also, My state is a two-party consent state so..

#7 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

It happens to be that the only way for us to give any proof to comms issues as to what was and wasn't said in mumble is to record it as such I record a lot of my TF2C mumbles in case I ever need them.  Until steamers start notifying/asking permission to have me on their streams I'm not going to worry too much about people's seemingly increasingly obsessive paranoia going on these days.

#8 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

yeah the mods expect proof of trolling in mumble, which is what recording is for, and then you say to not record mumble? makes sense.

Posted Image

#9 Zantza

Zantza

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Stuff like this happens..This is another huge problem. We were practically spawntrapped 50% of game time, and the leader being on the red team didn't want to close the lobby. -_- Why the fuck doesn't TF2center scramble the teams in the browser according to game time and lobbies played?

4cddDd7.jpg

Edited by Zantza, 18 September 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#10 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Stuff like this happens..This is another huge problem. We were practically spawntrapped 50% of game time, and the leader being on the red team didn't want to close the lobby. -_- Why the fuck doesn't TF2center scramble the teams in the browser according to game time and lobbies played?

This has nothing to do with the thread, and this isn't tf2center's fault really. sometimes a team gets stacked. it happens.

Posted Image

#11 Zantza

Zantza

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

It could easily be solved by a forced scramble before the game starts..

#12 Marty

Marty

Clown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Steam Profile

• Marty - Offline
    Since: Feb 12 2023 03:36 PM
    3.7 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Eh, I don't think the "problem" is the TF2 Community in itself, the "problem" is that we're on the internet, and people are anonymous. Some people feel the need to put others down and lash out insults, as long as they aren't traceable.

If you have trouble with someone in mumble (as in, joining your channel and talking shit etc.), try calling a moderator in the main chat of TF2center (there are often mods online) and we'll come deal with them.

You shouldn't take the "get rekt noobs xD" so hard, it's just new players who play in a very low div who are insecure about their lack of skill or ability to play well, and need to put others down every time they win anything just so they can feel okay about themselves. These people need not be reported, as there isn't a rule against laughing at others after a victory, and there shouldn't be one. I expect everyone to be grown enough to not take these things so personally and rather pity them.

#13 Superpoke

Superpoke

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

From what I've seen, the community in TF2C has been fairly positive. People are a bit full of themselves but that' the extent I've seen. I haven't been in too many games, however.

"That's not what the academy taught me!"

#14 marz

marz

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Going around trolling in random mumble channels I don't agree with. But for assholes in-game, I think it's all about your ability to stomach the rude remarks and insults. It's a part of playing a game within a community, some people are assholes and you'll never get away from that. Should we start banning people from TF2C for not being nice? That doesn't seem fair. It's freedom of speech, thought and expression. You can always local mute someone who is annoying you, or straight up leave the game. I'm sure you don't want to do the latter which brings me back to my original point, it's all about your ability to stomach it.

I've had my share of shit lobbies with rude people who have nothing to do but pick on those playing worse. Personally I find taking the time to joke around in pre-game sets a much more enjoyable and relaxed environment in the game. Have a positive outlook in pre-game and it might carry over during the game, or at least make you rage less hard. You never know if you're gonna get rolled or roll on TF2C, so just take it in stride.

#15 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

(This isn't directed at anyone, but I've used "You" for emphasis)

We understand that in any competitive environment there will be banter / trash talk, but its important to know the limits.

Players on TF2C shouldn't have to "stomach it" or "local mute, or just leave". If what you are saying is making someone else get to the point of leaving the game, then you are in the wrong not them. I agree that friendly banter in pre-game can make the whole experience more enjoyable, but that doesn't mean you can freely (and persistently) insult another player.

#16 enstage

enstage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

This is going to happen anywhere by the way, this is the internet, where people can do stuff faceless in the crowd and be cowards. I just ignore them half the time, if their being an ass hole and no one cares, what's the point? Plus, it makes the person feel really dumb for being an idiot :D

• Captain Pegleg likes this

76561198065405581.png

Click above to go to my profile, feel free to add me whoever you are.

b_350_20_5A6C3E_383F2D_D2E1B5_2E3226.png

My server for reference.

~enstage