Photo
- - - - -
Declined

Make the need for Mumble in tf2c more obvious.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryan

ryan

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

And by that I mean, have a pop-up on the main page when a player visits the site for the first time (the same sort of pop-up as the ready up window.

Right now if I'm a new player to tf2center and I join a lobby I'll see this http://puu.sh/aCbnf/588f2bca7e.png next to a lobby and I have absolutely no idea what this icon is.  So straight away there are new players joining mumble required lobbies who dont have mumble installed.

So I've joined the lobby and I see this http://puu.sh/aCbv9/a051f1c836.png and don't really bat an eyelid and just let the lobby start without joining mumble.  From experience in many, many lobbies this happens when you ask a player to join mumble in a game only to be told "I don't have mumble installed".  It can get pretty frustrating hearing it time and time again and it not changing.  

I know there is the dropdown http://puu.sh/aCcoD/e92b30d33d.png but I think it is a bit late and possibly a bit obscure (clearly for some users anyway) But I think a little window when you open the site that says "note that some lobbies require you to be in mumble, a voice communication program which you can download here"  with a little button that links you to the mumble.

This will catch new players eye a lot more and will increase the quality of mumble required lobbies.

Excuse any bad grammar its 1:50 AM and I'm tired but I thought this was a good idea.

• The Once and Future King and Neidii like this

#2 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

This does get on my nerves as well.

#3 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

This is a good idea.

Posted Image

#4 Neidii

Neidii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

I support this idea, it's very frustrating that in a mumble required lobby someone says they don't even have the program installed. Maybe the mumble thing needs to be more obvious, a pop up would be a good idea.

#5 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Or maybe a download link to SourceForge that says "Click here to download mumble", similar to the map download?
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#6 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

1. The main problem with Mumble that many players just refuse to join it in "Mumble required" lobbies. The only way to solve this issue is implementing Mumble reliability (Mumbility) and tighten the rules. The work on this feature is in progress.

2. Constant appearance of the little window with the warning about strict Mumble lobbies will be frustrating for those players, who already know about Mumble and follow the rules. On other hand, people who are ignoring Mumble will continue ignore this window also.

3. In the final release the big illustrated guide will be released. Mumble usage will be carefully explained there.

4. The big Mumble icon in the lobby header is already the link to download Mumble.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined