• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pallas

Pallas

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

In other words, any beginners tips for starting to become a comp pyro?
1) Best loadout? (I use degreaser, shotty and axtinguisher)
2) Most important thing to remember when playing pyro (mainly in HL)?
3) How to practice projectile reflecting and where to practice in general?

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

2) Make sure to what out for the spy near your medic and engi.

3) Dodgeball servers.

• UL7RA likes this

#3 mizx

mizx

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

1) If you can get really good with the flare gun it can be extremely useful to use against burning players (especially scout running away). It can also be used against the sniper as an annoyance.

#4 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I don't know too much about pyro but I believe the most common loadout for highlander is Degreaser, Flare gun, Powerjack / Axetinguisher but the powerjack is better after the recent Axetinguisher nerf.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#5 Pallas

Pallas

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

I don't know too much about pyro but I believe the most common loadout for highlander is Degreaser, Flare gun, Powerjack / Axetinguisher but the powerjack is better after the recent Axetinguisher nerf.

Not really a fan of the powerjack myself and to me the axtinguisher still packs a hefty punch if not a bit more situational, besides im only really gonna be using the melee if cornering someone into a wall or in a tight space, most of the time I ignite, airblast and then shotty them do death, but maybe if I get more accurate with the shotty I can then switch to the flare and deal even more dmg.

3) Dodgeball servers.

I think that'll mostly be for practicing timing...plus there's no situation you're going to get in with homing crit rockets...

#6 Roxanne

Roxanne

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Backburner all the way yo!

#7 Aphex

Aphex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

From a pyro main, use the flare gun or the shotgun in the same match, using your best discretion. If the pyro is a big danger, or people are consistently getting all up in your face, the shotgun is the obvious option. But given some more space the flares are very powerful, dropping scouts, medics and snipers with ease, and able to do the same damage as the shotgun at close range with its crit, and considerably more than the shotty at a longer range. And in the matter of the ax vs powerjack, I compare the new axtinguisher to the dead ringer. Yeah it's good for dealing with a bad situation, but the powerjack is like the invis watch: Positioning, and dealing with a bad situation easily, rather than just the latter

How many binds could a pyro spam if a pyro could spam binds?

#8 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Not really a fan of the powerjack myself and to me the axtinguisher still packs a hefty punch if not a bit more situational, besides im only really gonna be using the melee if cornering someone into a wall or in a tight space, most of the time I ignite, airblast and then shotty them do death, but maybe if I get more accurate with the shotty I can then switch to the flare and deal even more dmg.

Powerjack gives health on kill so can be used to save your ass in a 1v1 situation, speed increase means you can get to the fight quicker and/or use it to escape (like the escape plan). I think it's a pretty neat weapon and yeah the axetinguisher is great for cornering people but realistically against smart opponents how often is that gonna happen?

Plus if you like ignite + airblasting you should definately use flares, they're stupidly powerful in that situation - much better than the shotty.

Edited by R.E.M., 31 July 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Former TF2C Moderator

#9 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

I usually prefer the powerjack, I've never actually used the axtinguisher outside of a pub setting and have not used it once since the nerf, so I can't speak to it's current viability, but what I like about the powerjack is mainly what R.E.M said in that you can get to the fight faster especially on longer PL maps after you cap 1st but spawn hasn't moved up yet (and so on) and use it for quick getaways.

I'm surprised I haven't seen the homewrecker mentioned though some people would disagree with this, I have always been a fan of using the Homewrecker on Defense on any maps where my engineer will be using Level 3's.  It's tough loosing the speed though for you not using the powerjack anyway it might not be as big of a deal as it is for me.  It can make a hold significantly longer if your engi goes down and his buildings get sapped but you are able to save them.  By keeping the building up there is a higher liklihood they will need to use an uber, and even if they can get it with spam it buys your engi a little more time to re-spawn and either rebuild if your team is holding or start setting up at the next point.  On the rare occasion the homewrecker can even save a gun adn with some good airblasts the gun can still be up when the engi gets back.

I've only mained pyro for about three weeks at the end of a season though so maybe I am wrong.  I can tell you though that earlier that season when I was maining engineer I always loved when my pyro was running homewrecker while I had level threes.

• UL7RA likes this

#10 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

I'm surprised I haven't seen the homewrecker mentioned though some people would disagree with this, I have always been a fan of using the Homewrecker on Defense on any maps where my engineer will be using Level 3's

That's a fairly legit choice it's just in proper comp play when your engi knows what he's doing it's really not at all required.

Edited by R.E.M., 31 July 2014 - 06:13 PM.

Former TF2C Moderator

#11 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of this song...

Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#12 Pallas

Pallas

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Why do you think I made that title in the first place ^_^
  • Luop90 likes this

#13 Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Best loadout:
Degreaser

Shotgun/flaregun/detonator/reserve shooter(eww)

Powerjack

Ever since the powerjack buff, the powerjack has been the best melee weapon for pyro hands down. Thanks to to the Ax nerf, this is superiority is even more enforced. 

As for spychecking, you're the first line of defense against spies. The second line is everyone else on your team. Lower division players will try and persuade you that your only job is to spycheck, but that isn't true. Also, you should only spycheck for your combo. The engineer can handle a spy himself as long as he has a modicum of gamesense. The only time that this isn't true is when the enemy team is pushing. IF he's busy with sentry stuff, then you should probably put down a few flames around him. 

Now, on the next thing:
The biggest mistake that I see lower level or beginner pyros make is that once the spy is dead, they stay with their combo, and they still spam flames. While it is okay for you to stay with the combo after the spy is dead, spamming flames is just wasting your ammo. Personally, once the spy is dead, I typically leave my combo and rotate onto the flank to help out my scout and soldier. Now, there is a trick to this. You have to constantly check the scoreboard and keep up with the enemy spy being alive or dead. Once the enemy spy is up, you should rotate to your combo as quickly as possible. IF this isn't possible, you should call out that the spy is up, and at that point it's up to your combo. 

As for dm: 
The most important thing you should realize as a pyro main is that your flamethrower isn't your main source of damage. Most of the damage you do should come from your secondary. If it isn't, then you probably aren't doing nearly as much as you can. That being said, personally, I tend to switch between shotgun and flare gun. The shotgun and flare are both really good for combo play as both of these can output large amounts of damage. The shotgun can output more, but the flare has a much higher burst damage potential than the shotgun. On the flank, the flare gun is generally the best choice. This is because of the burst damage allowing you to take out most classes in one crit flare. Now, a lot of people think the flare guns biggest weakness is that it is useless against shotgun pyros. That is completely untrue. If you get good enough with the timing, you can easily crit flare a pyro. That being said, shotgun is generally better for pyro v pyro as pyro flare punching is probably the hardest technique on the pyro class. As for the detonator, I use that as a replacement for the flare. The only difference is that I will constantly spam detonator in order to do as much damage as I can. Basically, the flare is for burst damage while the detonator is for dps. The reserve shooter is good in a few situations. If the other pyro is running it, always run it too because otherwise you probably won't win pyro v pyro. It is also extremely good for damaging jumpers and people who just jump too much. Otherwise, the shotgun is a better choice in general as you have 6 shots vs 4. 

Uhhhhhh, I can't really think of anything else, but if you have any questions, feel free to add me on steam @ http://steamcommunit...id/tralfamadore

3) Dodgeball servers.

I think that'll mostly be for practicing timing...plus there's no situation you're going to get in with homing crit rockets...

You shouldn't be using the powerjack as a melee in the first place. It is good for rotating between flank and combo quickly. That added speed bonus means that you have more opportunities to output damage with your primary or secondary weapon.

#14 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

Good pyros listen to this song.

Not many people knew that satan sang this song in his band before he became super famous.

#15 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Good pyros listen to this song.

Not many people knew that satan sang this song in his band before he became super famous.

2KPSO.gif

:ph34r:

Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#16 Pallas

Pallas

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Best loadout:
Degreaser
Shotgun/flaregun/detonator/reserve shooter(eww)
Powerjack

Ever since the powerjack buff, the powerjack has been the best melee weapon for pyro hands down. Thanks to to the Ax nerf, this is superiority is even more enforced. 

As for spychecking, you're the first line of defense against spies. The second line is everyone else on your team. Lower division players will try and persuade you that your only job is to spycheck, but that isn't true. Also, you should only spycheck for your combo. The engineer can handle a spy himself as long as he has a modicum of gamesense. The only time that this isn't true is when the enemy team is pushing. IF he's busy with sentry stuff, then you should probably put down a few flames around him. 

Now, on the next thing:
The biggest mistake that I see lower level or beginner pyros make is that once the spy is dead, they stay with their combo, and they still spam flames. While it is okay for you to stay with the combo after the spy is dead, spamming flames is just wasting your ammo. Personally, once the spy is dead, I typically leave my combo and rotate onto the flank to help out my scout and soldier. Now, there is a trick to this. You have to constantly check the scoreboard and keep up with the enemy spy being alive or dead. Once the enemy spy is up, you should rotate to your combo as quickly as possible. IF this isn't possible, you should call out that the spy is up, and at that point it's up to your combo. 

As for dm: 
The most important thing you should realize as a pyro main is that your flamethrower isn't your main source of damage. Most of the damage you do should come from your secondary. If it isn't, then you probably aren't doing nearly as much as you can. That being said, personally, I tend to switch between shotgun and flare gun. The shotgun and flare are both really good for combo play as both of these can output large amounts of damage. The shotgun can output more, but the flare has a much higher burst damage potential than the shotgun. On the flank, the flare gun is generally the best choice. This is because of the burst damage allowing you to take out most classes in one crit flare. Now, a lot of people think the flare guns biggest weakness is that it is useless against shotgun pyros. That is completely untrue. If you get good enough with the timing, you can easily crit flare a pyro. That being said, shotgun is generally better for pyro v pyro as pyro flare punching is probably the hardest technique on the pyro class. As for the detonator, I use that as a replacement for the flare. The only difference is that I will constantly spam detonator in order to do as much damage as I can. Basically, the flare is for burst damage while the detonator is for dps. The reserve shooter is good in a few situations. If the other pyro is running it, always run it too because otherwise you probably won't win pyro v pyro. It is also extremely good for damaging jumpers and people who just jump too much. Otherwise, the shotgun is a better choice in general as you have 6 shots vs 4. 
Uhhhhhh, I can't really think of anything else, but if you have any questions, feel free to add me on steam @ http://steamcommunit...id/tralfamadore

3) Dodgeball servers.

You shouldn't be using the powerjack as a melee in the first place. It is good for rotating between flank and combo quickly. That added speed bonus means that you have more opportunities to output damage with your primary or secondary weapon.

Well...that pretty much was what I needed to know. Cheers :D

#17 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

All you, young whippersnappers posting the prodigy when you could be posting this:

• Luop90 likes this
Former TF2C Moderator

#18 Shortcut

Shortcut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIn a Better Place

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

A few things I've watched...

1. Don't just spycheck, protect your med from EVERYTHING! This includes reflecting rockets and pipes, checking for traps, killing that pesky scout by running in circles holding m1, and extinguishing the combo.

2. In pl, some teams want their pyro hanging out by the gun instead of the combo. In lobbies this wont happen as often, as there is no planning. In these cases stand in between of the spammer and the gun and reflect reflect reflect.

3. When turning a blind corner hold fire BEFORE turning so you can catch other blind turners in the act.

4. Aggro pyros work when they get enough heals. I dunno much about that stuff, talk to TMP or something.

5. Get hats.

Good luck!

I represent the quarter of hl players on TF2C that are not spy mains.

#19 UL7RA

UL7RA

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

From my own perspective, the payload defensive pyro: homewrecker, scorch shot, degreaser.

While the degreaser is widely used, the SS and HW not so much. HW has the clear benefit of de-sapping sentries of a recently deceased engie and I've had instances of hitting buildings in a drive-by flank while getting back to my position, not wasting time on tele/dispenser picks, or conveniently placed minis where they get off very few shots before I bring the hammer down.

I've been using SS to annoy as much as possible, I'm not sure how effective it has been, but surely it's not pleasant being 24/7 on fire due to the weapon's very forgiving radius. Plus on payload... you know the scout and engie are going to be on cart. The one area I'm 100% convinced it's effective is dealing with snipers. My hits have been mostly successful and a burning sniper can't aim properly for sure. Anyway on defense I'd fire off and hit with 6 shots with this weapon before somebody would even come in my effective flare range. 

Still trying to get better at it and find more ways to use it, but that's pretty much it. It's way more consistent and forgiving than other loadouts.

Attacking I'm pretty much degreaser/flare/powerjack. 

#20 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

From my own perspective, the payload defensive pyro: homewrecker, scorch shot, degreaser.

While the degreaser is widely used, the SS and HW not so much. HW has the clear benefit of de-sapping sentries of a recently deceased engie and I've had instances of hitting buildings in a drive-by flank while getting back to my position, not wasting time on tele/dispenser picks, or conveniently placed minis where they get off very few shots before I bring the hammer down.

I've been using SS to annoy as much as possible, I'm not sure how effective it has been, but surely it's not pleasant being 24/7 on fire due to the weapon's very forgiving radius. Plus on payload... you know the scout and engie are going to be on cart. The one area I'm 100% convinced it's effective is dealing with snipers. My hits have been mostly successful and a burning sniper can't aim properly for sure. Anyway on defense I'd fire off and hit with 6 shots with this weapon before somebody would even come in my effective flare range. 

Still trying to get better at it and find more ways to use it, but that's pretty much it. It's way more consistent and forgiving than other loadouts.

Attacking I'm pretty much degreaser/flare/powerjack. 

I think the reason that the Flare is preferred to the scorch shot is that you can "Flare Punch" (ignite, airblast, switch to flare, fire, get crit flare shot) which can be very useful if the enemy has gotten into range of your flamethrower.  The flare punch is the reason that I never ran Axetinguisher even before the nerf, since if I was running flare I was usually going to switch to that over melee anyway and the Powerjack could give me the speed bonus (and doesn't get damage reduction from non-burning players) or the homewrecker can help and engie out on Defense.

Most people seem to consider the Scorch Shot to be an un-viable weapon due to the reduced damage and no crits on burning players (which is essentially a furthur damage reduction.)  If you don't use the flare aggressively and are mainly using it to inconvenience the other team I can see how the scorch shot would be beneficial in having the forgiving hit radius and being able to ignite multiple enemies (Like everyone on the cart), but if you can get good with the flare you can do more damage, and for close range (but still out of flamethrower range) the shotty would also do more damage.  Damage output isn't necessarily the most important thing though (especially for most pyros) so depending on your play style that may not be as large of a concern.