• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NotPsycho

NotPsycho

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

I timed out during a game, and was not even gone for a full minute. By the time i rejoined i have had already 3 people report me and i was kicked once a sub entered. The 2-3 Minute grace period is useless if people are so report-happy.

Suggestions on how to avoid this.

• Don't let people report players that have left the server until their grace period is up.
  • Only let people report players on their own team.
  • Increase the amount of players needed to replace player.

Edited by TheMattgician, 21 July 2014 - 02:01 PM.
Initial Title: "Make amount of reports to kick player larger."

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I think that the first suggestion is a good one. I would say that the players could report as soon as the player leaves, but the report could only kick in after the grace period.

Not a fan of the two other ones, since the idea is that it's possible to report people. If anything, you could argue that at least two of the reports should come from the team.

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

I think that the first suggestion is a good one. I would say that the players could report as soon as the player leaves, but the report could only kick in after the grace period.

The problem here is that someone can be !repped for reasons other than being AFK, once the !rep happens there is no point in waiting unless you are going to reset it after the person is back and force the team to !rep again if they were repping for a different reason.  What if they are !repping the guy because he keeps disconnecting and coming back and is basically never in the game?  sorry but if you have that bad of an internet connection you should not be playing any games in a competitive format and making a !rep not count if the person is not in game would make it impossible to get a new player for someone like that.

The best solution to the OP's problem is to join mumble when playing lobbies.  If you are in mumble and the game crashes or has connection issues then you can tell your team that you will be back.  Personally if I am in a game and someone discconects I always !rep before the time limit unless the person responds to me in mumble when I ask why they left(I only play mumble req'd lobbies so there is no reason they shouldn't respond if they are coming back.)

• LastTalon likes this

#4 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, to be honest, although this sounds good on paper, there are a lot of issues with it. If a fully automated approach to this was best the !rep system wouldn't be there in the first place, would it? If after the grace period is the only time !reps would count, would it not be best to simply have the lobby automatically request a sub and ignore the !rep? Like The Once and Future King said, there are a variety of reasons people use !rep and for the most-part players don't abuse it, rather they use it for legitimate reasons.

When a round may only last 4-5 minutes, having a player gone for 3 minutes is a long time. They can't always wait for the full grace period and then ontop of that wait for a sub to actually join the lobby and then join the server.

There are a variety of things that !rep can be used for, again, like repeated disconnects, near disconnects and lagging out repeatedly, being AFK without disconnect, trolling/griefing, etc. And on the rare occasion you feel you're falsely reported, the most you miss is part of a game, and you could try to appeal it if you feel it was truly unfair.

• The Once and Future King likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined