Photo

Why is everyone in tf2 coverd in gasoline ? Except for the pyro ofcourse.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jera

Jera

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

If a tiny flame pixel hits your bod, you COMBUST VIOLENTLY!!! why is that ?

#2 Marty

Marty

Clown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Steam Profile

• Marty - Offline
    Since: Feb 12 2023 03:36 PM
    3.7 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Clothes are usually made of cloth - when fire touches cloth and similar it usually spreads fast

#3 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

What Marty said. Humans are not at all combustible but almost all types of clothing they wear are. Since this game is based in the late 60s / early 70s it's likely that at least the scout would be wearing polyester clothing which is very flammable as is cotton, will and silk.

The speed at which the clothes combust is not unrealistic either. Just to show you how quickly flames can spread here's a video I found:

However if you want a piece of ridiculous game logic.

Airblasting friendly players does not push them back and puts out fires

Airblasting enemy players pushes them back and does not put out fires

Also airblasting supposedly puts out the fire by depriving it of heat (by blowing away the hotter air molecules) and oxygen. But as you might know blowing on fires can actually seek to spread the flames as flammable matireal gets blown around and can set unaffected areas ablaze. Just like in a forest fire.

Edited by R.E.M., 10 July 2014 - 02:23 PM.

• Tury likes this
Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#4 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Also, the airblast theoretically reflects projectiles instantly. Given the mass and speed of a rocket, changing it's momentum that much requires a huge force, which is difficult to get from air. Because of that force, the Pyro should be flying the other way every time he airblasts.

I'm actually kind of curious to look at the math.

• R.E.M. and Tury like this

#5 Roxanne

Roxanne

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

BECAUSE VIDEO GAMES

• Tury and Harmony like this

#6 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Also, the airblast theoretically reflects projectiles instantly. Given the mass and speed of a rocket, changing it's momentum that much requires a huge force, which is difficult to get from air. Because of that force, the Pyro should be flying the other way every time he airblasts.

I'm actually kind of curious to look at the math.

I would be interested in that too actually. Maybe we should meet up and discuss this some time. I've found out from the TF2 wiki that:

1 hammer unit = 1/16th of a foot = 1.904 cm

Also from the page on the rocket launcher it says that the projectile speed of a rocket is 1100 hammer units per second which works out at 47 mph. Sounds extremely slow for a rocket propelled grenade but hey it's TF2 not real life and in the comics Mann Cos equipment does suck pretty universally. Putting this in perspective the RPG-16, which was used in the late 60s and early 70s (i.e. the time that TF2 is set in) by the soviets (soldier would not be pleased), has an initial muzzle velocity of 130 m/s (291 mph) and can reach speeds of 350 m/s (782 mph). In fact I figured maybe the soldier's rocket launcher was stolen army surplus from WW2 but even the first Panzerfaust, the Panzerfaust 30 klein - a very early rocket launcher used by the nazis, had projectile speeds of 30 m/s (67.1 mph).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a side note this means that the scout who moves at 400 Hammer units per second (133%) travels at 17 mph. Compare this with the world record speed of a human at 27.44 mph and that's pretty damm fast considering that the scout is running at this speed all the time (and jumping). In fact I took the liberty of calculating the fastest unofficial and official marathon speeds (as an average).

The official record was set in 2013 when the Berlin marathon was run in 2 hours, 3 mins and 23 seconds = 7403 seconds.

The distance of the Berlin marathon is 42.195 km (42,195m) giving us an average speed of 5.70 meters per second = 12.75 mph.

The unofficial record was set in 2011 when the Boston marathon (distance: 42,195m) in 2 hours, 3 mins and 2 seconds with an average speed of 5.71 meters per second (12.77 mph).

The scout is way faster than either of these times and if you consider that TF2 6s matches can be played for 30 mins to an hour and a half the scout must be one hell of an athelete. In 1.5 hours he'll run 97% of a full marathon (41.04 km). Wish I could do that this guy is superhuman.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway I digress. Now we know the speed of the rocket in both directions (in and out) we just need the mass of the rocket and the contact time the air from the flamethrower has with the rocket (we can estimate) to find the average force. Then we take the mass of the pyro to be that of an average human with body armour + a flamethrower and then see how the recoil speed is.

BECAUSE VIDEO GAMES

It's actually pretty sound IRL too. Even embers from a lit cigarette on for example, someone's sofa, can lead to a flaming piece of furniture in a matter of seconds.

Also something I forgot as well is the flamethrower the pyro uses is likely to be based on napalm. A highly flammable substance that will inevitably get on people's clothing when it's being sprayed at them. So I guess you could argue they are kind of covered in a gasoline like matireal.

Edited by R.E.M., 10 July 2014 - 05:15 PM.

• Cool Dad likes this
Former TF2C Moderator

#7 Marley

Marley

• Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

Should I bring up the fact that throwing piss and "milk" on burning enemies results in them continuing to burn and doing the same thing to a teammate instantly puts them out?

#8 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

Should I bring up the fact that throwing piss and "milk" on burning enemies results in them continuing to burn and doing the same thing to a teammate instantly puts them out?

MAGIC EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH

Edited by R.E.M., 10 August 2014 - 10:01 PM.

Former TF2C Moderator

#9 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

All I have to say