7 replies to this topic

#1 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

If a few mods are here I was curious as to how bans were decided on this website. I've seen people banned for saying the N word for two days by a mod. Then I see another thread of someone saying the N word, but they get banned for two months by a different mod. Are the bans done off of personal opinion and how offensive that specific mod takes it? That doesn't seem like a fair solid system?

#2 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Essentially, it all depends on the context. The ban is first decided on if a rule was broken. From there, there is a guideline, but of course every case varies. Also, past offenses come into play. If someone is known for swearing out when he gets angry, his ban will be longer than lets say someone who just said "Fuck you" to someone else. The context is always changing, as not every case is the same. The really only solid "Do this, get banned this long" are in cases of Hacking and Map Exploiting, because those are both perms :P

Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#3 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

I don't get it. I see someone who was banned for a one time incident for two months while someone who has said much worse (or equally offensive to some people) get banned for two days. It was a one time incident and he just happen to get a mod that really wasn't happy so he got banned much longer in comparison to bans on similar cases.

I tried to get information out of REM regarding the ban and comparing it to the two day ban for similar offenses and his reply was

1LEqtqT.jpg

From what I see specific mods get more pissed at specific situations and things said. So, if someone gets reported for spamming binds some mods would ban them for 2 days while more aggressive mods who get easily annoyed at that sort of thing would ban them for 7 days.

Look at how aggressive this guy types to me. I feel like most ban cases done by him would be longer than the next mods judgement. Surely, there has to be a set amount of days for the offense and not just the better judgement of the mod.

Edited by Taddy, 09 July 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#4 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

Perhaps you'd like to show the whole conversation next time.

I0Gl1Fn.png

The fact is Taddy, you sent me a passive aggressive post out of the blue challenging a ban that has already been upheld once by our mod team. Even though this ban is absolutely none of your business since it does not concern you at all, I took the time to politely explain to you why the ban length was that long. I also politely explained this to the person who was banned (Pistolvania) in steam chat and mumble. If you don't believe me ask him.

You then decide that you don't like this answer and tbh I get a bit fed up of you coming onto these forums and posting here like you own the place. You are constantly shit-posting in ban requests trash talking players, you get involved in ban threads that have nothing to do with you, you taunt players that you've successfully banned on the forums in-game (I've seen evidence of this) and frankly you're nosy and I think you get some kind of a kick out of getting players banned.

So when you, with your reputation, PM me in this manner and then (obviously seeking an argument) start being obtuse and passive aggresive with me over a ban that was made literally weeks ago and after I resigned from TF2C as a moderator I'm going to get annoyed at you.

Frankly you have no business acting the way you do on the forums and there's already been discussion amongst the mods about your behaviour so I'd be very careful if I were you.

Also it's extremely bad manners to post private messages onto the public forum without permission but then I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Edit:

Also Taddy, the ban policy (which is not made avaliable to the public for some reason) was written by me and it does give specific ban lengths for different offenses but it also says to use your discretion and to judge it by context. For instance it is very clear in the policy that instances of intentional trolling are to be handled much more severely than cases where players just lose their cool. In the case of Pistolvania he was obviously attempting to troll other site users and that is not ok and is a totally different situation to someone just flaming.

In addition I encourage you to take a look at my previous bans and honestly tell me that they are any longer than what the other mods give because I know for a fact they are not.

Anyway I'm fed up of reading your posts, they're such a waste of my time so I'm just going to block you now so don't bother replying to me because I won't even see it.

Edited by R.E.M., 09 July 2014 - 11:18 PM.

• Luop90 likes this
Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#5 Pistolvania

Pistolvania

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Can people stop PMing me this thread? My ban has been sorted out already. Thx.
  • Marty likes this

#6 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

Why are you PMing me this thread? I don't care about your opinion? That's a great way to explain something politely to someone. You are basically flamming me because YOU feel like I'm acting a specific way when I feel a completely different way. You give me the biggest ass hat reply of I don't care yet you continue to talk to me showing care. Reminding someone of their ban in the past isn't necessarily taunting them. I see people like will who get banned for binds yet they come back the next week doing the EXACT same thing. Why does everything have to be related to someone attempting to grief someone else or causing an argument? Such a shallow thought process...

If you want to have an argument with me please speak to me directly there isn't a reason to make these forums look like trash. I don't care about reputations or how you feel about me this isn't the place for this. You think I'm seeking an argument when I was looking for a rational explanation (maybe he had past bans). So far you've done nothing but prove how personal and judgmental you handle things. Again funny how you reply like the biggest stuck up ass hat yet you talk about my manners with you. I don't get it did I hurt your feelings? Again writing I'm wasting your time yet your the one who decides to read and reply to my posts.

If you want to trash the forums further and continue an argument with me please don't and take it to PM. If you don't want the conversation posted which you also posted yourself ask me nicely to remove it. 

EDIT: More cleaned up post.

So I simply ask you why someone was banned for a specific duration of time and you automatically assume it's some sort of argument. My very first PM to you wasn't rude at all or negative. You replied back like a complete ass, saying "Why are you PMing me this? I don't care about your opinion on this ban." Then I write you a second time still not being rude to you and you reply, that you don't care for my opinion and tell me that I should go back to making "stupid stuck up posts". I guess this is you being polite??? Now you're playing victim and pretending I was the one who was extremely rude seeking an argument just to grief you when it clearly shows you being the ass. You told me you don't care, so I told you to stop replying to me if you don't care. Again in this thread you write you don't care to read or reply to my posts, yet this is exactly what you're doing. I don't get it.

Stop assuming people are acting a certain way when they have an entire different outlook on the situation. This negative judgement towards people and instant assumptions makes you a bad moderator in my opinion. 

As far as the taunting players for being banned, players like Will get banned for spamming binds yet they do it again a week later as if nothing changed. If he feels taunted by being reminded then so be it.

You've done nothing but show to me how emotional and judgmental you take posts. If you wish to discuss this further with me, please take it to a PM. There is no point in making these forums trashy because you want to have an argument with me. If you want me to delete the chat message which you also posted also you can simply ask me. 

and yes I do get a thrill out of getting players banned for doing extremely offensive and moronic things with the intention to grief and cause harm to someone else. Should I not? The full conversation being posted makes you look like an even bigger ass than the one I posted alone. Thank you.

Edited by Taddy, 10 July 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#7 Marty

Marty

Clown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Steam Profile

• Marty - Offline
    Since: Feb 12 2023 03:36 PM
    3.7 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

EDIT: More cleaned up post.

So I simply ask you why someone was banned for a specific duration of time and you automatically assume it's some sort of argument. My very first PM to you wasn't rude at all or negative. You replied back like a complete ass, saying "Why are you PMing me this? I don't care about your opinion on this ban." Then I write you a second time still not being rude to you and you reply, that you don't care for my opinion and tell me that I should go back to making "stupid stuck up posts". I guess this is you being polite??? Now you're playing victim and pretending I was the one who was extremely rude seeking an argument just to grief you when it clearly shows you being the ass. You told me you don't care, so I told you to stop replying to me if you don't care. Again in this thread you write you don't care to read or reply to my posts, yet this is exactly what you're doing. I don't get it.

Stop assuming people are acting a certain way when they have an entire different outlook on the situation. This negative judgement towards people and instant assumptions makes you a bad moderator in my opinion. 

As far as the taunting players for being banned, players like Will get banned for spamming binds yet they do it again a week later as if nothing changed. If he feels taunted by being reminded then so be it.

You've done nothing but show to me how emotional and judgmental you take posts. If you wish to discuss this further with me, please take it to a PM. There is no point in making these forums trashy because you want to have an argument with me. If you want me to delete the chat message which you also posted also you can simply ask me. 

and yes I do get a thrill out of getting players banned for doing extremely offensive and moronic things with the intention to grief and cause harm to someone else. Should I not? The full conversation being posted makes you look like an even bigger ass than the one I posted alone. Thank you.

I think the reason why he immediately assumes that it's some sort of argument is because you are pretty well known for posting in a lot in ban threads that does not concern you, reporting people constantly and generally being sort of an argumentative parasite. Hell, he wasn't even wrong was he, even after he clearly stated that he didn't care and that he wasn't going to change his opinion on the matter you still continue to make it into an argument, like a child that doesn't understand that no means no.

He asks you the question "Why are you PMing me this" which is totally a valid question, since R.E.M. is no longer a moderator. He stated that he doesn't care about your opinion - obviously showing that he doesn't want you to message him anymore about it, but you still continue to bug him about it. I had this exact argument with R.E.M. earlier and we already figured this out internally and I think it's important for you to understand that we do not need your help. If you want to show that you are better or holier-than-thou than some of our moderators you are not doing a very good job at it.

And on the topic of "not caring", I think you are misunderstanding him. If me and R.E.M. are on the same page, we do not care about who you are, what you think and how cool you think you are. We do care about what you are writing to us on this site, whether privately or publicly. However, your "opinion" doesn't change anything. It doesn't matter to us, it might as well not have been there. However, when you keep stating all of your concerns and opinions we get annoyed with you. We care about the way that you are acting towards us, as if we needed your help, but we do not care about your opinion in its core. Only about you spewing said useless opinion.

Stop assuming people are acting a certain way? We know you Taddy, and we recognize your name. We've gotten complaints and we are annoyed with you. Therefore we handle situations with you in it different than we would handle others. "This negative judgement towards people and instant assumptions makes you a bad moderator in my opinion. " sick opinions biro, why don't you take it to tumblr?

And now you ask him to take it to a PM because you don't want the forums to look trashy? Weren't you the one posting private messages and constantly spamming the forums with your "opinions" on things you know nothing about? He's not going to ask you to delete the chat message, you've already posted it and people have already seen it, so retracting it would be pointless. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, and therefore he had to post the entire message thread, showing how annoying and persistent you are, even though you have been declined multiple times.

"and yes I do get a thrill out of getting players banned for doing extremely offensive and moronic things with the intention to grief and cause harm to someone else. Should I not?"

If you honestly get a kick or a thrill out of getting someone banned there is something really wrong with you. A moderator is supposed to look into each case fairly and judge whether or not the person did anything wrong. Even if they did, exceptions can be made depending on the circumstances. A moderator is not supposed to seek out any minor "wrong-doing" and immediately get said persons banned even if they didn't actually offend anyone or they did something unintentionally. And the way that you seek out to get wills attention about his ban and people saying that you are "friends with the admins". What a guy you are huh.

I have had my own personal encounter with you, where we played some lobby and you kept antagonizing me in Mumble. I'm sure it was all in good fun - and I didn't report it because honestly I can't give a shit about you, but don't you think it's a bit weird how you report people for saying the exact same stuff that you said to me? Then again, I don't have any video evidence so I suppose its just my word against yours.

On a last note, I think it's very important that you understand that you are not "friends" with the admins. You don't have any power other than reporting about rule-breaking - Hell, we can even retract that privilege from you.

btw you shud chang ur profil pictur to this: http://imgur.com/oHSmCYf

• R.E.M. and Luop90 like this

#8 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

• The site is still not live yet. 
  • We have guidelines on moderation
  • We have mods with common sense
  • All bans are on case by case basis
  • Bans can be appealed with sufficient evidence.
  • Drama is for kids. Stop it.

• ninjaMooCow likes this