• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NoOrdinaryPanda

NoOrdinaryPanda

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

I mean i just don't get it. I know I am new to competitive tf2, but give me a chance to play and not just kick me from the game just because I don't have a high amount of lobbies played. I know im not the only one this has happened to. I have only played 3 lobbies, the first one I played I won, the others I got kicked from because I lack "Experience". I just wish people would open there eyes and give people a chance.  -_-

#2 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

TF2C was created to bring people from pubs to comp, so obviously you have some newbies. If a lobby leader kicks just because you are new, imo that should be reported. But you can save yourself by avoiding classes such as medic, demoman, and even heavy for your first games, since those are highly important.

To me, it's fine to be bad, as long as you're trying. So don't give up!

• UL7RA likes this

#3 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

If you get kicked join another lobby or make your own using serveme.tf or buy your own server. Aslong as people have kicking power this will happen. 

#4 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

People give me a lot of crap for wanting to report someone basically ruining an entire lobby. I've suffered through zero game medics as well as zero game demomen. I'd recommend if you have no map awareness or map knowledge to avoid engineer, sniper, demo and medic. Most cases we didn't need an extremely good heavy to do fine. I'd also recommend avoiding sniper on maps designed with huge sight line. If the enemy sniper is a much better player he will wreck an entire team unopposed. It ruins the fun for both teams if it's a roll.

#5 Neidii

Neidii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Newbies don't bother me that much unless they chose to pick med, demo or heavy. Don't do that with your first lobby, it can ruin the experience for the entire team since those classes are very important and require knowledge about positioning and where to be at specific times etc. I'm sure not all "noobs" would fail playing as these classes, but most of them unfortunately do. It would be best that you also join mumble required lobbies, so that way you can learn from others.

#6 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

If only TF2C had a feature that allowed leader to set hour and lobby limits for each class so that leaders wouldn't have any reason to kick someone for low hours/lobbies.

#7 <basically deleted>

<basically deleted>

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

Ironic TOAFK is ironic.

And yes, that's just stupid, knowing that tf2center is, was, will be a place to introduce beginners to TF2's competitive world. But you are on the internet. And on the internet, if you lead something, you can do whatever you want to do, well hidden behind your screen... <_<

• TheDanger likes this

#8 jokleinn

jokleinn

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

i kick people if they have fewer than 300 hours or have absolutely terrible stats. otherwise i'm happy to let a new player come play. it's just a lobby.

#9 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

i kick people if they have fewer than 300 hours or have absolutely terrible stats. otherwise i'm happy to let a new player come play. it's just a lobby.

So why don't you just set a hour minimum of 300?

#10 icy

icy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

If only TF2C had a feature that allowed leader to set hour and lobby limits for each class so that leaders wouldn't have any reason to kick someone for low hours/lobbies.

iirc, you can set hour and lobby limits.

#11 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Well, most cases I'm not lobby leader so when we do happen to get someone that practically does nothing going like 5 kills 30 deaths I do try to convince a report. I normally don't do this if the player is on soldier, pyro, spy, heavy, scout or engineer depending on the map.

Having someone who doesn't even know basic sentry spots results in a frustrating game. 

Having a horrible sniper while the other sniper has 30+ kills is very frustrating.

Having a horrible demo doing zero pressure while you get rolled is frustrating. 

Having a medic that pockets the heavy or lack of heals towards everyone while running into things is frustrating. 

I get that new players need a chance to learn the scene, but good lord you can't just walk in with zero knowledge and make everyone suffer.

Go learn all the popular maps being played. You'll figure out where things should be placed, where the sniper has a good view, where you generally want to push from and where it's safe to hold.

Stay away from vital classes such as demo or medic. You'll cause the game to be a roll if you have no awareness or DM ability. 

That's the most frustrating thing to me, someone who doesn't have any knowledge or even attempted to review before playing walks in and treats it like a pub. This is why new players have developed this status to most people.

#12 Shortcut

Shortcut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIn a Better Place

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Are you trying to do 6s? Because that community is much more unforgiving to newbies. Learned that one the hard way. In HL as long as your'e in mumble (you better be) people will keep you in.

I represent the quarter of hl players on TF2C that are not spy mains.

#13 UL7RA

UL7RA

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well, we all started at 0.. people seem to forget that. I joined relatively late here and in my early games almost always playing medic, what I think made people 90% more open to me was the fact that I joined mumble 100% of the time (required or not, still do), check chat and communicate as much as possible. Ofc being decent at the class helps, but I only got better by communicating and being proactive and really, really fucking trying to be better with every game. And truly there were great people that made it all very enjoyable.

The exact opposite happened to me today, 1st lobby - demoman. Demoknighting (with the targe, no less!) on Upward.

Did not join mumble, did not respond to chat... and still, I almost always stand up for new players and help as much as I can.

1 instance of an inexperienced guy turned pr0 is some engie, he admitted that he didn't know the spots and hadn't played engie on HL. We managed to give him a brief instruction of using our weapons as metal, sentry placement and the fact that he should use L3 sentries on defence and gunslinger on offence. I even made him rent the gunslinger from the market for the game because he didn't have it. All that on lobby chat.

He was communicating, he was being proactive and we were supportive. Things went very, very smooth.