• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vortex

Vortex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

MOD EDIT: This topic was origionally a ban request, but it has been changed to a discussion thread.

• Steam Name: krownski
  • SteamID: STEAM_0:0:55973085
  • Lobby Number: #125611
  • Date and time: 6:20 AM pst June 8, 2014
  • Screenshots: bd675ba71f.jpg

More of a general question I guess. But is there any direct consequence for people who continually leave games besides a mark on their reliability? Or is it the responsibility of the lobby host to kick the players before the game starts? As you can see, this guy has played 184 centers and left half of them. That's ridiculous. He unsurprisingly left the center I just played with him. I feel like being this unreliable should be a punishable offense of some sort.

Edited by Kenneth, 09 June 2014 - 12:43 AM.
Clarifying thread.

#2 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Vortex.  I moved your topic, since it wasn't really a ban request.

Lobby owners can set requirements upon creation of a lobby.     I would suggest you shoot for 80%+ reliability.  From my experience, that is the sweet spot.  I am going to create a thread in suggestions about this, as a possible change.

#3 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

Since this is no longer a ban request, we can have a discussion about what we would like to do with low reliability. Personally, I think reliabilities are not very useful, especially if they never expire. Personally I'd be more in favor of a "cooldown" system somewhat like CSGO. Leave early, get 30 minute cooldown. If you leave another early within a week, that increases the ban length incrementally. This ends up punishing people who are not reliable in an automatic way and will make people reconsider joining if they can't stay the full length.

It's less about punishment though, it's about removing players from the player pool who cause the quality of lobbies to drop. Also broadcasting this information (Player kenneth abandoned the lobby and was given a 30 minute cooldown) would certainly make it fairly public that leaving early is not welcome in lobbies.

Here's the text from the CSGO blog

If you abandon a match then Classic Competitive will be unavailable for a period of time. The first abandon has a 30-minute cool down, the second is 2 hours, then 24 hours, and one week. If you haven’t abandoned for a week you would cool down by one level (for example, from 24 hours back to 2 hours).

Potentially don't go as intense on the lengths and add in a few more steps, But I do think it's a way better system than trying to get subs all the time.

Looking for feedback into my idea as well as others ideas for dealing with low reliability.

#4 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

The idea is interesting, but the times and implementation needs tweaking since a lot of people have to leave by 'accident'.

There are things like people not joining when they readied up that should be taken more seriously than others (so being AFK before the lobby starts).

#5 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

I think technical reasons (on their side) are reason for cooldown. If you can't play a full game, you shouldn't be able to ruin the experience for anyone else, no mater what the cause. 

#6 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

There are things like people not joining when they readied up that should be taken more seriously than others (so being AFK before the lobby starts).

Should it really be taken more seriously though?  What about the bad password instances?  Those are the people who have done nothing wrong.

The idea is interesting, but the times and implementation needs tweaking since a lot of people have to leave by 'accident'.

How exactly does someone leave by 'accident'?

Since this is no longer a ban request, we can have a discussion about what we would like to do with low reliability. Personally, I think reliabilities are not very useful, especially if they never expire. Personally I'd be more in favor of a "cooldown" system somewhat like CSGO. Leave early, get 30 minute cooldown. If you leave another early within a week, that increases the ban length incrementally. This ends up punishing people who are not reliable in an automatic way and will make people reconsider joining if they can't stay the full length.

It's less about punishment though, it's about removing players from the player pool who cause the quality of lobbies to drop. Also broadcasting this information (Player kenneth abandoned the lobby and was given a 30 minute cooldown) would certainly make it fairly public that leaving early is not welcome in lobbies.

Here's the text from the CSGO blog

If you abandon a match then Classic Competitive will be unavailable for a period of time. The first abandon has a 30-minute cool down, the second is 2 hours, then 24 hours, and one week. If you haven’t abandoned for a week you would cool down by one level (for example, from 24 hours back to 2 hours).

Potentially don't go as intense on the lengths and add in a few more steps, But I do think it's a way better system than trying to get subs all the time.

Looking for feedback into my idea as well as others ideas for dealing with low reliability.

Hmm, this seems familiar.  I think it would be a good idea though I don't know if it would be a good idea to make the times a lot shorter.  30min is nothing.  2 hours isn't bad and the progression seems logical from there at least if you really want to get these people out of the player pool as you claim.  Of course there are some factors to this that make it harder for people to get in game like the bad password thing and the likes, I mention some ideas on how to help account for that here: http://forums.tf2cen...y-rqban/?p=4277

Edited by The Once and Future King, 09 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#7 Vortex

Vortex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I made my response in the "suggestions" thread ninjaMooCow made, but I can summarize it here because the majority of discussion seems to be on this thread. 

Making it like CSGO seems like it could be really tricky. Do reported players get the cooldown? People are reported for bad reasons all the time and if a game-by-game cooldown was enabled on reported players this seems like a really easy way for a group of friends to grief players they don't like. If it doesn't include reports, then it's equally as pointless because someone can just AFK to avoid the cooldown. In CSGO ranked MMR, the fact that the outcome of the game effects your rank makes the overall tone more serious. Shit happens and sometimes people have to leave, but at the same time you're effecting the rank of 4 of your team mates if you do so. I feel like centers should be more lenient than that.

It's really just people who are proven to consistently leave by having like a sub-75 reliability with over 100 games played that makes me upset. I guess my 2 suggestions would be:

1.) A heavily tweaked version of the CSGO cooldown system/Kenneth's idea. Maybe every 3 leaves a week result in a cooldown? I don't know what the specifics would be, but it would be either percentage based or just multiple leaves.

2.) Something similar to what tracker sites do where if your reliability falls below a certain threshold you're blocked from playing centers. There's a chance for appeal of course, but if you honestly leave half of the centers you're consistently ruining the experience for everyone else and should be removed from the pool.