• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Catboycat77

Catboycat77

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

I've played TF2 to the point where I am not improving just by playing pub servers anymore. So I started looking into the competitive scene. I found this site, and have played a few matches, but there's one problem.

Everyone hates you if you aren't already good.

I've been bottom of the leaderboard in every match, and been constantly insulted about my lack of skill. People say I just need to watch some videos, and I have. The one biggest piece of advice they give is I need to practice, but how do I do that when nobody wants me on the team? I don't want sympathy, but I don't know if I should put up with the dislike and just try and get better, or leave and stick with pubs. Is there some other way I'm supposed to get better?

Edited by Catboycat77, 08 June 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#2 loop

loop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:31 AM

Your biggest mistake in TF2C is taking too much of feedback from people that don't matter and on matches that don't matter, haha. People are generally mean, and constructive feedback is basically non-existent, so don't take it to heart. TF2Center in the end are just competitive public matches where team work is rare. It generally doesn't mean anything.

If you're part of a team and you're consistently bottom scoring in scrims, then you can review your demos with someone that's had more experience than you to go over constructively what could be improved.

tl;dr insults != constructive criticism. Don't take it to heart.

Edited by loop, 08 June 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

There are multiple reasons you might not be doing well: you lack game sense, or "raw skill" (aka aim).

For game sense, watching POVs is pretty good. Once you've done that, watching your own gameplay from demos lets you figure out what you're doing wrong. But don't expect to simply absorb it, when you play you want to keep some 'tips' in mind (such "as check for sticky traps").

As for aim, MGE is a good way to practice, along with DM servers. They're a bit of an ego stomper because you will get rekt to the max, but over time you should get better aim.

As of bottom scoring, it also depends on what class you're playing. Roamers don't often top score. And someone needs to bottom score by definition. If you're med, demo or heavy, there is a problem though.

#4 Vortex

Vortex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

I feel for you. I started out in TF2lobby and was consistently made fun of for how bad I was at demoman at the start. Rather than discouraging me, this just made me want to play better. 

As Matt said above, there are some things you should know before you start out that follow the general "gamesense" guideline. You should know what the role of the class you pick is. You should know the rollout of whatever map you're playing. 

If you care enough about your DM and feel it's the main thing holding you back, you can grind DM mod or MGE until it improves, but really DM just comes with practice in any gamemode. 

If you play 6s you can add me and I can try to help you out on specifics. If you play highlander I can't help you too much there, but if you ask around in mumble there's usually at least a few helpful people for every person who just throws insults around.

#5 Caffie

Caffie

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Me too, They kicked me out at the ending.. some people are mean (or just dicks)... It mad me mad, i tried to join other match, okay. IT happens, Steam decided to make full crash... It is my mad day

#6 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

I would like to point out that pubs usually don't stop being a thing people do in TF2. Also, if you truly are lacking in skill pubs can be a good place to continue to practice in a more passive way (not specifically trying to work hard at practicing by analyzing a demo or playing mge). Although it definitely doesn't do the same thing the others do preparing you for a more competitive type of play.

But the most important thing is to continue to practice if you want to get better. As others have pointed out, practice doesn't mean simply continuing to try the same thing over and over. You don't get better simply by practicing, you only get better by practicing well. And if you're trying to do something too difficult, or you simply don't know how to do, it may be a sign that you need to take smaller steps rather than just throwing yourself in.