• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Walnut

Walnut

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Haven't been this nervous since my first spy day :D. I have over 1000 hours but I don't have a "main class", I play all classes pretty much evenly and I'm not too comfortable playing most of them with and against higher skilled players so I don't know which class I would even choose. Since valve servers came back, I've been playing those since they're always populated but they get me pretty frustrated sometimes. I play on community servers if I can find one with the map I like because I like playing with people that know how to play. I also don't take this game very seriously and I know some people take lobbies seriously. I have good and bad days where my aim is completely off, I don't want the day I choose to play my first lobby to be one of those and do terribly. One of the main reasons I'm nervous is because I know competitive players of varying levels frequent lobbies.

My comfortable classes in order are 

-Medic

-Soldier 

-Demo  

-Pyro

-Scout

-Heavy

-Sniper

-Engineer

-Spy

I know how important some of these classes are especially medic and demo and that's why I'm nervous to start playing with more serious people. I know the basics of pretty much all of them though. Don't know what I expect to come from this but I just wanted to get it out.

#2 VoidWhisperer

VoidWhisperer

Void

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Haven't been this nervous since my first spy day :D. I have over 1000 hours but I don't have a "main class", I play all classes pretty much evenly and I'm not too comfortable playing most of them with and against higher skilled players so I don't know which class I would even choose. Since valve servers came back, I've been playing those since they're always populated but they get me pretty frustrated sometimes. I play on community servers if I can find one with the map I like because I like playing with people that know how to play. I also don't take this game very seriously and I know some people take lobbies seriously. I have good and bad days where my aim is completely off, I don't want the day I choose to play my first lobby to be one of those and do terribly. One of the main reasons I'm nervous is because I know competitive players of varying levels frequent lobbies.

My comfortable classes in order are 

-Medic

-Soldier 

-Demo  

-Pyro

-Scout

-Heavy

-Sniper

-Engineer

-Spy

I know how important some of these classes are especially medic and demo and that's why I'm nervous to start playing with more serious people. I know the basics of pretty much all of them though. Don't know what I expect to come from this but I just wanted to get it out.

Just start off with whatever you feel most comfortable with. When I started with engi in lobbies I had no idea what I was doing.. But now I learned. :P

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'd recommend staying away from medic when you start, it's the one class that stands out. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, TF2C was made to bring people from the pubs to the comp scene. As long as you try (being in mumble helps a lot), you shouldn't have to worry about it. Hell, I've played around 250 lobbies and I'm still terrible, doesn't stop me from trying!

#4 Nodoka

Nodoka

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:32 AM

need more medics

vpgegi.jpg

#5 Roxanne

Roxanne

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

Don't be afraid! Video games are fun!!!

#6 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

With 1000 hours you know enough about how the classes work to start lobbies. You should take lobbies seriously and try your best in them because it's pretty obvious when someone is just not trying and it irritates other players.

Aside from that, just be honest with people. Tell them that you are new but that you want to learn and they will help you. Make sure you join mumble (this is very important especially as a medic) and communicate with people in mumble. Take a quick look through our guides section as there is some useful stuff in there and just keep going at it. You will have lobbies where people get annoyed at you, you will have lobbies where you do badly, it happens to everybody. Eventually however you get a feel for how these things work and you start to become more comfortable with it all.

The most important thing is to not listen to the mean bastards who yell at you / shit-talk you get to you because they're the vocal minority on the site and most people around here are reasonably friendly. If someone is being a dick in mumble then just local-mute them and/or make a ban request on the forums (with evidence) and we'll do the rest.

So in summary, just try it, ask around for help, join mumble, look at all of the information provided to you in the guides section and don't let the bastards grind you down.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#7 Walnut

Walnut

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for replying everyone. I think I'll get to them really soon after I sort some stuff out.