Photo

Competitive TF2 in Balloon_Race Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SQbuilder

SQbuilder

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:05 AM

Would Competitve Balloon Race Be A Good Idea?

Attached File  balloon.jpg   47.16KB   0 downloads

I always wondered how competitive tf2 would be like in a balloon race map (v2 or v1 or v2b). Most of the time, the balloon race maps are filled with afk players and everyone being a sniper. Being born and raised in pubs, I always wondered what competitive balloon race would be like, I couldn't make a lobby because the map type is not allowed.

When people do play the objective in balloon_race and there are a variety of classes with a decent amount of players, gameplay could be very intense and enjoyable. Perhaps someone could edit the balloon_race_v2b map to suit competitive requirements. 

Basic Overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you didn't know, let me describe balloon_race to you. It is a TF2 map were RED and BLU race in balloon ships to capture a central point in various locations, think of it like a extended KOTH map. There are four capture points and the map goes in a loop. In order to win, a team must capture three points, or tie and make it to the end first. To capture a point, you must have your team's airship there. To make the ship move, players must stand in front of the balloon ship near the steering wheel to make the craft move (Scouts makes the craft move faster). The longer people are on the steering wheel, the faster the ship will go. The speed of both teams are listed on the screen out of five. Every time you capture a point you will receive a speed boost. Don't fret when the enemy are ahead, though, there are shortcuts in balloon_race_v2b to drastically remove time needed to catch up. In order to board your ship, go into the portals in your spawn room, or manually 'climb' up the ladder on the side of your ship. Your enemies can aboard your craft as well, however, In balloon_race_v2b, you will be damaged a little at a time when on an enemy craft to discourage spawn camping.

Attached File  balloon4.jpg   8.87KB   0 downloads

The airship has a few features: breakable glass windows to shoot through, an indestructible lvl3 dispenser, and a lower layer with said dispenser and breakable glass.

Attached File  balloon3.jpg   184.93KB   0 downloads

To clarify, there is land below the aircraft in certain parts of the maps, perfect for advancing ahead as engineer/demo to build defense, for a pyro/scout to flank enemy aircraft enemies, for soldier/sniper to harass enemies that are aboard the ship, and for strategically placed sentries to halt enemy aircraft movement. Gameplay varies from close quarters, (Capture point locations), to long ranged sniping (When enemy is ahead or you are on ground sniping), and to medium ranged combat, (When the aircrafts are near each other).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached File  balloon2.jpg   15.24KB   0 downloads

Here is a list of pros and cons I have gathered up.

Pros

------------------------------------------

Unique map layout and gameplay

Many opportunities for flanking and defending

Shortcuts and balancing are added in the v2b version make sure race is fair

Is technically an extended KOTH map

New gameplay concepts, strategies, and ideas to be made

Gameplay varies from close quarters, to long ranged sniping, and to medium ranged combat.

All classes are important in this map

A more unique way to play TF2

Could be a very nice addition to TF2center if unbanned

------------------------------------------

Cons

-------------------------------------

May not fit competitive scope

No shortcuts in the original balloon_race map

Not many people might play

Spawn camping may be inevitable in beginning without version v2b or a competitive or 'pro' version of the map

-------------------------------------

I would love to hear your guy's opinions.

Is Competitive TF2 in any balloon race map a good idea? How would it turn out? Would it fit the competitive scope? Do you think TF2Center should alllow a balloon race map? Should someone make a competitive or pro version of balloon race?

#2 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:33 AM

Hey,

No offence, when I first read this, I thought it was a joke, but I understand it's not now. As you have said, balloon_race does not fit the TF2 competitive whatsoever. Over the many last years of competitive TF2, this was never even thought about, and I personally think it would be interesting to imagine playing balloon_race competitively but never in reality. I appreciate the time you have taken to create this thread open for discussion, but I can say that there is a very slim/no chance of this happening. Balloon race was designed purely as a fun custom game mode, like Saxton Hale, Prop hunt, Randomizer etc. Although I have no say, I don't think TF2C to approve this idea, but thanks for your input :)

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

#3 Jaros

Jaros

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location0xDEADBEEF

Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

This leads me to thinking... I think I've heard somewhere that tf2lobby had similar options... such as randomizer, x10 etc? Wouldn't it be nice to have some fun gamemodes implemented as well?. It would attract more players probably too, cause you don't need to be serious all the time, and just play for fun!
(Think about noobParty back then)
chieƒ : omg brony bitch reported

#4 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

But that was a one time April Fools joke. I believe TF2Center's sole purpose is to organise competitive matches and aims to help bridge the gap between public and competitive play for Team Fortress 2. If we modify this so much to include fun gamemodes, it wouldn't be TF2Center anymore. Although I think we can organise some fun events in the future though for these gamemodes.

#5 Jaros

Jaros

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Location0xDEADBEEF

Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

Well, as 3-stage maps were removed... This probably won't happen anytime soon.

chieƒ : omg brony bitch reported

#6 Highvlass Heavy

Highvlass Heavy

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:23 AM

I actually suggested giving admins the ability to create "fun lobbies" that could consist of any number of funny mods or plugins on a server that would just serve as something different. It was met with a lot of resistance on the forums. 

I cant find the old topic because the suggestions part of the forum is currently broken for me.

#7 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:53 AM

I guess we can have events once in a while to chill and have some fun for those that want it. Keeping it admins only to create would be a good idea and keep these lobbies controlled and limited