• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NoahWanger

NoahWanger

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

After having equally wonderful and terrible experiences with the players in the game, I think it would be a good idea for users to apply markings/nicknames on other users. For me, knowing which users I had a bad experience can help avoiding another bad experience.

The opposite is also true too. If I had a good experience with a user, I could join with the same user in order to have a better experience.

There is two ideas that could happen:

1. The entire labeling/marking/nickname thing is completely private and only connected to the TF2Center account:

Players can set nicknames/mark others with a "+", "-", or add a nickname. The nicknames/marks will not be seen anywhere else and is used for self-reference.

Pros:

• It is a safe way for users to make a decision whether to play with a user or not, making quality lobbies more likely to happen than nightmare lobbies.
  • Players who constantly give other TF2Center users non-bannable problems will have a harder time finding other users to play with.
  • Players who have a lot of positive experience with other players will have lobbies filling quickly to gain a more positive experience.

Cons:

• Lobby hosts can just kick people from their game if they received a negative mark or a negative nickname given just because someone was new.
  • Offensive nicknames can be put on other users as a form of bullying, and the victim has no chance of knowing.
  • Players with so much hidden negative ratings (regardless of reason) on TF2Center will have a harder time finding other players willing to play with them, leading to delayed starts.

2. Marking is public, nicknames are not:

Players can rate their experience with another user with "+"s or "-"s. These are fully visible to others, but nicknames will only be seen by the user to prevent bullying.

Pros:

• Other players can see if a user has the potential to bring up a bad experience for other users, and choose to play with that user or not.
  • Players with positive rankings can bring other players to the lobby quicker, due to the expected positive experience.
  • Server owners can kick individuals with negative rankings to improve the quality of the lobby.

Cons:

• New users can gather a ton of "-"s because they are usually inexperienced with lobbies and can frustrate those who do.
  • Players with so much negative ratings (regardless of reason) on TF2Center will have a harder time finding other players willing to play with them due to the possibility of being kicked.
  • False ratings will be come a problem.

• Pazer and Hummus like this

#2 Hummus

Hummus

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:04 AM

this would be neat!

#3 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

I don't think this system is necessary. I have seen this system on other forums known as 'karma'. My reason is, if you know that person is bad and don't want to play with them again, wouldn't you know and have a bad image of them? I don't think you need a '+' or '-' to mark players. Players with low rep will be generally known to the public, or you may remember that time when they did something bad, so there isn't need for this. By proposing this system, aren't you just saying that you don't want to play with bad players? Then how will they get any better? This system will be turned into a 'hate list' even if it is public/private.

My tip to you and the way I avoid bad/annoying players is to judge base on their reliability in ratio to their games played. If they had low reliability and a low number of lobbies played, you can make an educated guess that that player likes leaving in between games. By looking at their hours in ratio of lobbies, you can tell if a player is experienced. etc. etc.

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

#4 NoahWanger

NoahWanger

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

I don't think this system is necessary. I have seen this system on other forums known as 'karma'. My reason is, if you know that person is bad and don't want to play with them again, wouldn't you know and have a bad image of them? I don't think you need a '+' or '-' to mark players. Players with low rep will be generally known to the public, or you may remember that time when they did something bad, so there isn't need for this. By proposing this system, aren't you just saying that you don't want to play with bad players? Then how will they get any better? This system will be turned into a 'hate list' even if it is public/private.

Whenever someone implements a system where people rate other users, it should not be surprising that hate will start to come out everywhere.

Also players can change their in-game name so players do not recognize someone bad

The consequence for getting too riled up on bad players is it's own consequence. The more unwilling a person is to play with bad players or players who are marked bad, then good luck trying to find a game.

My tip to you and the way I avoid bad/annoying players is to judge base on their reliability in ratio to their games played. If they had low reliability and a low number of lobbies played, you can make an educated guess that that player likes leaving in between games. By looking at their hours in ratio of lobbies, you can tell if a player is experienced. etc. etc.

You can also have reliable players who are unpleasant or too salty to play with. This system warns user/s about those players who sit the entire game, but are still unpleasant to play with.

#5 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:56 AM

This system promotes too much negativity than positivity. Even though I can't make any calls if this will be implemented, I know for sure that it will be low priority and is not very important to have at the moment. Thanks for your input though :)

Edited by Nerdz, 08 March 2016 - 03:56 AM.

#6 The Recluse

The Recluse

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:15 AM

People are terrible at grading others in the heat of the moment. People will mark negatively when they see someone screw up but will not positively rep others for not screwing up, only when they make hugely visible clutch plays. Ultimately I predict people with established good images getting huge + and otherwise most everyone sitting close to neutral or negative. 

Plus does anyone really want another stupid DOWNVOTE UPVOTE +REP +FRAGZ system to tell us what to think? 

I'm fine with personal notes like "dude is terrible at medic despite having 750 lobbies as such"

Edited by The Recluse, 09 March 2016 - 05:15 AM.

• Kengur and Hummus like this

#7 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

People are terrible at grading others in the heat of the moment. People will mark negatively when they see someone screw up but will not positively rep others for not screwing up, only when they make hugely visible clutch plays. Ultimately I predict people with established good images getting huge + and otherwise most everyone sitting close to neutral or negative. 

Plus does anyone really want another stupid DOWNVOTE UPVOTE +REP +FRAGZ system to tell us what to think? 

I'm fine with personal notes like "dude is terrible at medic despite having 750 lobbies as such"

Exactly what I meant when its going to used negatively than positively.

• The Recluse likes this

#8 Pazer

Pazer

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

This sounds like an amazing system. Seriously, we need something like this to mark people so we can remember to ban them from our lobbies if we don't like them/they're assholes that don't *quite* warrant a TF2C ban.

• NoahWanger likes this

#9 NoahWanger

NoahWanger

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Exactly what I meant when its going to used negatively than positively.

I am just going to say I am fine if you are going to use the system for hate rather than it's purpose to help make a better judgement on playing with other players. If you keep up the hate, then good luck trying to find a lobby where there is not one person that you do not hate.

Plus I think it is a better idea to make all ratings private so users can only see what they have given other users. Public is where the hate comes out like you said.

Edited by NoahWanger, 10 March 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#10 Kengur

Kengur

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

1) Open gedit

2) Copy-paste player id and mark rating next to them

3) Save in your /home/user/Documents/hatelist.txt

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

Seriously though, I would find at least 1 day a week when I would join only bad teams (all the time) which would loose miserably. I would have that hatelist filled up pretty fast I guess. Rest of the week I do fine and topscore  :)

Edited by Kengur, 10 March 2016 - 06:14 PM.

• Waffle likes this

#11 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

1) Open gedit

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

Seriously though, I would find at least 1 day a week when I would join only bad teams (all the time) which would loose miserably. I would have that hatelist filled up pretty fast I guess. Rest of the week I do fine and topscore  :)

That method sounds good. :)

#12 NoahWanger

NoahWanger

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:15 AM

1) Open gedit

4) ???

5) PROFIT!

Your idea is good, but it is impractical.

First, are you really going to dedicate that much time to making a hate list?

Second, there is no real way of including people that you enjoyed playing with, and do you really want to make another sheet? If so, what about someone else?

Third, are you really going to keep track of any time that they might change their name. That takes more dedication than even the most saltiest player would like to invest.

How I see the rating system is for user personal use to make a decision whether to play with another player or not based on previous games the user has played with the user.

Good step-around, but not a practical way.

• Pazer likes this

#13 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

I personally don't find the TF2C that bad that it requires any sort of hate list or a system like you proposed. If you would like to play with the people you enjoy playing with, then why not use the 'Add friends' option on Steam?

Also, name change would not matter if you copy and paste their unique steam id into a text document like Kengur proposed.

#14 Waffle

Waffle

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

1) Open gedit
4) ???
5) PROFIT!

Second, there is no real way of including people that you enjoyed playing with, and do you really want to make another sheet? If so, what about someone else?

Third, are you really going to keep track of any time that they might change their name. That takes more dedication than even the most saltiest player would like to invest.

How I see the rating system is for user personal use to make a decision whether to play with another player or not based on previous games the user has played with the user.

You do not hate them enough I guess.
  • Highvlass Heavy likes this

#15 swanick

swanick

• Users
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

being able to mark people only for yourself and nobody else would be just fine.

• Pazer likes this

#16 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Players can rate their experience with another user with "+"s or "-"s. These are fully visible to others, but nicknames will only be seen by the user to prevent bullying.

Pros:

• Other players can see if a user has the potential to bring up a bad experience for other users, and choose to play with that user or not.
  • Players with positive rankings can bring other players to the lobby quicker, due to the expected positive experience.
  • Server owners can kick individuals with negative rankings to improve the quality of the lobby.

Cons:

• New users can gather a ton of "-"s because they are usually inexperienced with lobbies and can frustrate those who do.
  • Players with so much negative ratings (regardless of reason) on TF2Center will have a harder time finding other players willing to play with them due to the possibility of being kicked.

Similar kind of "social" ranking currently is in development and will be included into the upcoming release of ALs 2.0. But with one significant difference - there will be only the positive ranking to avoid all of these cons that you pointed out. And it will be accessible only for advanced players.

• nrd. likes this

#17 NoahWanger

NoahWanger

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

1) Open gedit
4) ???
5) PROFIT!

You do not hate them enough I guess.

Eh. If I give hate, I give into these trolls and make my problems worse. Suggesting a system that will encourage it is not my intention.

Pros:

Cons:

Similar kind of "social" ranking currently is in development and will be included into the upcoming release of ALs 2.0. But with one significant difference - there will be only the positive ranking to avoid all of these cons that you pointed out. And it will be accessible only for advanced players.

Any reason why only for advanced players? Testing it or just a bonus for being an advanced player?

#18 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Any reason why only for advanced players? Testing it or just a bonus for being an advanced player?

One of our main purposes to change the widespread belief about lobbies - "it's just a lobby, why should I take it serious?" Advanced lobbies are aimed to raise the game quality and change that mistaken belief. By implementing some special features accessible only for advanced players, we want to incentivize more players to step into ALs in order to play in a real competitive environment.

• Highvlass Heavy and Hummus like this

#19 Hummus

Hummus

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

i personally find youtubes thumbs up shtick to work, you cant go below zero, only up. *thumbs up icon*

#20 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

Marking as Denied.

Archiving. Please submit another form if you would like to bump this idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined