• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Loveclop

Loveclop

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Having a proper ping display would be nice, but was suggested a long time ago, so it can't be that simple.

So,  as an interim measure, how about just having a link with a steam connect url for the server ? The server has a password and the url doesn't, so this will bring up the steam server-info/connect/password panel. Which has a ping on it.

#2 Lex

Lex

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Slight necro, but it concerns me so I'll bump anyway.

I have to deal with bad routing issues (shitty ISP) and I'm definitely not the only one. Being able to check my ping to a server before joining a lobby would be great, that way I won't unknowingly make the game unenjoyable for myself (and perhaps other players too).

The only thing you really need to ping or tracert is the IP, port/password are not necessary.

#3 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

IPs are hidden until connect to provide a layer of security against DOS attacks as well as some others that I can think of.

Also ping is based on your client -> tf2 server.  It doesn't matter what the tf2c server -> tf2 server ping is.

On the side, I wonder if a small bit of javascript network code could do the trick.  Hide the values from the user (unless they show source.)  Ping the server with a udp packet and do this type of server query:

https://developer.va.../Server_queries

In any event, this seems a bit hard to do.

#4 slayer

slayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

Why not have several regions.  TF2C can run some kind of a WHOIS query to find out where the server is located, it can then display an icon that says west coast, central or east coast.  Then people can pick servers that they will ping best at.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scheduled