Photo
* * * * - 2 votes
Declined

Private lobbies (entirely locked by password)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

This idea is a bit out-there.

Create a lobby that doesn't show up on the main page with a password.

Share the link with your m8s

Use it to set up a PUG and/or scrim.

• Roxanne likes this

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

You know, ninja, we have a big discussion of this on a members forum. But I agree, this might be useful as a very first step towards something bigger.

#3 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

As it is couldn't you essentially accomplish the same thing by locking every class?  Only difference is it would show up on the lobbies page and people would enter pass when signing up for their class and not when trying to enter the lobby.

#4 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

If you're providing the server and the players, why make a lobby at all?

#5 Boba

Boba

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I'm thinking as Tereza said, a first step to something like tournaments.  Registered players/teams are given a password to join a tourney lobby, or to gain access to another page of just tournament games or perhaps ranked games that you must first register for?

#6 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

:-)  Good point.  Maybe it's just hard to organize 17 gamers to do anything at one time.  I've had a couple house pugs "head to the lobbies" because we had like 15 players.

#7 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

:-)  Good point.  Maybe it's just hard to organize 17 gamers to do anything at one time.  I've had a couple house pugs "head to the lobbies" because we had like 15 players.

That's why people likes good UI - it helps to make life easier.

#8 mizx

mizx

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I second this. I've been thinking about this for a while now, and decided to do a search to see if it has been talked about before.

If you guys perfect it, it could be much more useful than just having everyone get in-game and wait and wait and wait sometimes. I find with TF2C, a lot of people don't launch their game, play a pub, etc while game is waiting on players. People can see it as a waste of time waiting on people. The only potential problem between readying up the lobby and launching is someone crashing--which can happen with or without TF2C.

It also makes it easier to see what classes you're missing. When waiting for a scrim a lot of my teammates are off-classing and having fun, meanwhile it's hard for me as a leader to see what one or two classes we are missing.

Few things I would change/think about with TF2C for private matches though if this was to be implemented (disabling some features of normal TF2C):

• Would you just have it join by link? Or link with password? Possibly determined by server owner?
  • Instead of having TF2C set a random password, have the server owner pick something. Alternatively, have a link anyone spectating TF2C during the match to click in order to join (For a sub for example). Now that I think about it, maybe just have two team leads that do !rep and it counts instantly? Then subs can click the spot and insta-join?
  • Don't include your rep system into this. Sometimes with our team we will use two different pyros for example, depending on if we are offense or defense, for example.
  • Don't kick people who join and are not a part of the lobby (unless they are not in spec maybe?)
  • Have a join/connect link to SourceTV (could be linked to: http://forums.tf2cen...ngbroadcasting/ ?)
  • Exec a different config (I saw that you guys have a custom config that exec's and disables sv_pausable).

I'm sure there might be more things you want to modify if you implement this, but that should get some thoughts going at least.

I hope you guys do decide to implement something like this, I think it could be a next big step for you, as well as give it potential for the future.

#9 Roxanne

Roxanne

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

+1

Highly in favour of this idea as it would certainly make it easier to organize an in house pug. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined