26 replies to this topic

#1 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:17 AM

Would be nice to make some games for newbies only. So the idea is not to allow you to provide a range (3000-5000hrs), but select either lower or upper limits for each of the requirements users can currently enter. Lower by default, of course.

So I might put upper limits at 50 lobbies and 1000 hours, so only newbies can play -- and the lobby leader, like how you can unrestrict individual slots anyway. You'd like to hope in most cases the leader wouldn't pick classes they're great at which can carry teams, so maybe choose medic or something but whatever. The point is, it could help beginners stick with beginners so they don't get overwhelmed in this particular match by gamers with far more experience than them, or straight up amazing DM. Well, depending on the limits. But it's a start.

I suppose it's almost the opposite of ALs but in a positive way. Or rather you could look at it like ALs for beginners, they can be roughly evenly matched too -- not just the AL players.

Thoughts?

• The Once and Future King, TUNE, ITasteLikePaint and 3 others like this

#2 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

This has been brought up many times. It's quite a good idea, but there's a big issue - alts. If these become popular higher level players will simply play on alts to feel like superstars. It'll be like Iron in UGC, half full of newbies who really need the experience, and higher-div players sandbagging to increase their imaginary E-Peen.
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#3 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:09 AM

Really? I think that would be a small minority of nerds who would do that, not enough to have an impact and truly ruin it for many people.

#4 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

You could always stop allowing alts if that would really be a huge problem...

As it is I've been in some lobbies in which I've heard newbies receive some pretty harsh ridicule which (I would think) probably turns people off to the comp scene or at least to trying to use TF2C to get into it.

That or experienced players just stack a team against a bunch of <1000 hour, < 20 lobby players and then the lobby is not really fun for anyone involved, this isn't neccissarily intential it's just hat when joining a lobby one is generally going to pick the team with the better Med/Combo and will avoid teams with a lot of low hour/lobby players on it.

#5 shinso

shinso

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:43 PM

So, as you all know on the currect TF2Center you can have restricitons regarding minimum hours, lobbies, reliabillity.

Imagine if there were restrictions such as, a certain minimun and a certain tops of hours, lobbies, etc.

Right now it can happen that someone puts a minimum of 1000 hours, so one team gets stacked as hell, and other is full of ~1200 hour gamers or something like that.

For example, minimum 1000 hours, maximum 1800; minimum 50 lobbies played, maximum 300 and stuff like that.

It's an idea, I don't know if it's good or not, but I'd sure like some feedback on it, so comment away mates!

• seexemima likes this

#6 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

bumperino

• Brightly likes this

#7 Carnage

Carnage

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

i would be gratefull if you could also put restriction soo the player wont have less or more hours and lobbies ,it is a good idea ,right?

Edited by Dreamcat, 19 October 2015 - 05:18 PM.
Topics Merged; Original Titel "Hours and lobbies"

#8 licklake

licklake

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hey Guys,

first of all, i am still a beginner in competitive with around ~1300 hours ingame.

I have the problem, that most lobbys i create (mostly bball, best mode :3 ) are getting joined by realy good an experienced players who stomp us/me in a 2v2 matchup. This is realy no fun to play against and i think, they dont have to much fun either.. So why dont add a advanced option, that limits the amount of hours a player has in tf2 or the number of lobbys he allready played like the minimum option.. That would create an even skilled balance in each team.

Pls write your opinion on that suggestion down :)

regards licklake

Edited by Dreamcat, 19 October 2015 - 05:19 PM.
Topics Merged; Original Titel "Add Maximum Requirements"

#9 Highvlass Heavy

Highvlass Heavy

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

We've tossed the idea around of having a maximum hour count or having new player focused lobbies. I like the idea, although I'm not sure if segmenting the community will end up being very beneficial to anyone. You gotta play better players to get better. 

But I agree it's an interesting idea. 

#10 Dreamcat

Dreamcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

This has already been talked about a while ago, the link matt had in his document just didnt work anymore, so i putted this on my list for next meeting

#11 licklake

licklake

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

Sure, you have to play against better players to get better, but if they stomp you without any chance to win that wont help anyone either. What do you think about setting a fixed range on example the ingame hours? So you have the options:

[opt 1]

unlimited (everyone allowed)

[opt 2]

rookie (300-1500 hours)

[opt 3]

advanced (1501-4000 hours)

[opt 4]

pro (4001-unlimited)

As i said, just an example of my idea to get started. I am sure there is a better way to do it ^^

#12 sarCey

sarCey

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

Could it be possible to have a new option for server hosts that is called something like max lobbies played? I'm pretty new to competitive and it would be grate to have a match with people that have similar experience and skill. It's really dull to be playing against players have over 2000 lobbies played.

This option would make the lobbies more balanced and interesting at the same time.

This would be a grate option and it would encourage more new players to the competitive seen.

Edited by Dreamcat, 25 October 2015 - 08:59 PM.
Topics Merged; Original Titel "Max lobbies played option for servers."

#13 Dreamcat

Dreamcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

Has already been suggested many times, its being considered. Merged this one with the older thread :)

Will not happen as specific as you guys are asking for, but will be used as input for other things.

• sage78 likes this

#14 Hoxy

Hoxy

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

Is it okay to bump threads if this is something I want implemented too?

Having JUST the lower limit settable would be nice, doesnt really have to be a range, but... It's great to get beginners into TF2C. I would like to get some friends into it but would prefer us to not get rolled by veterans and have a good time.

#15 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

I think the admins have hosted newbie lobbies before, maybe it's died down now. Sounds like a good idea though. You could also host your own newbie lobby but mention it in chat that it is for under ___ lobbies only or add a tag when creating the lobby. Make sure you don't abuse your kicking/banning though if people don't listen.

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

#16 Hoxy

Hoxy

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

Ah, that'll be hard to do - because honestly I've seen several people 'round here who just do what they want. The best thing I could do is reserve the entire lobby and send the slots to people individually. Making my own restrictions is bound to not end well..

Then again I dunno i'm fairly new.

#17 Highvlass Heavy

Highvlass Heavy

Former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Ninja would reserve all slots and only allow new players to join. It's an interesting idea, but they took ages to fill, and didnt always turn out great considering skill and hours don't always coincide. 

• Mother Tereza likes this

#18 nrd.

nrd.

Former TF2C Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

I can imagine the difficulty, it would be an organised pub. It's always better to play with good players as well to balance and learn the structure of games. My suggestion of being able to vote scramble players of the same class in the two teams would be good for this scenario.

• Mother Tereza likes this

It's been fun, thanks for the ride.

#19 Hoxy

Hoxy

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

I'm well aware that with the unknown of what class a certain person plays in lobbies, whether they have idled their hours or not, what kind of mentoring they received, and also existence of alts, it can get inaccurate, but..

I dunno, I just think... Having the option present for lobby leaders to dispute without having to worry about excessive kicking wouldn't hurt.
Setting the limit to 10 or less WOULD make it an organized pub as nrd said, but if the min settable limit's like... 100? People with ~50 lobbies already have a rough clue what to do, save for minor mistakes. So if there's the minimum of the cap to be 100 or higher then it shouldn't be that of a problem.

It has also happened before that most of the lobby has like ~0-300 lobbies and the lobby leader well stated in chat that he doesn't wish for prem players and high-tier players to join but only could kick so many people, and then someone dropped out and suddenly a 2000lobby prem soldier joins as substitute, and as the lobby leader couldn't kick anymore, the solly destroys a lot of people (this lobby btw)

And if all else fails, lobby lead can decide to unlock it, as with minimum-requirement lobbies. 

I hope you understand what I mean.

#20 TUNE

TUNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

Would be nice to get 2 high level players as medics, in coaching roles. 2 pros, 16 n00bs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Under Review