Photo
* * * * * 2 votes
Completed

Latest players are readying up as less-favored class, hoping that a popular class won't ready up

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Stop people from fake joining (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Should this be implemented?

1. Yes of course! (10 votes [34.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. No (19 votes [65.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Aspire the Pyro Main

Aspire the Pyro Main

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

So obviously there's a problem with users in a lobby which for example is needing an engi. The players will join as engi with no intention of actually playing the class, then hoping that the spy for example, does not ready up, and then taking that spot for themselves. Leaving engi STILL open and all the players in the lobby let down because they thought the match was going to start. 

My solution: Once you have joined as a class, you would be completely unable to switch to any other class for that lobby!

So basically, if you joined as engi, no matter if you left the lobby and returned, you would not be able to switch to any other class for that lobby.  This would solve the problem mentioned above.

Issues (that I can think of): 

Miss-clicks [accidentally click on a class that you didnt mean to.] Well too bad. Pay more attention next time. 

Changing your mind [I dont want to play that class anymore] Again, sucks for you. 

I beleive that this is a serious issue, especially in HL, which I play.  Its really really frustrating and implementing a simple feature like this should be able to prevent it!  :)

Let me know what you guys think, and maybe it can be added! 

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

This is a known problem, but I disagree with your proposed solution. Doing so, we will break down fragile balance of the lobbies. There is a lot of situations that you didn't list, when you need to change your class. So my conclusion - the problem that you have lifted is important, but your solution doesn't suits.

We have a similar topic in the Members area. The solution that has been suggested there is more promising:

"Some people are taking the last slot and leaving it immediately, to replace players, who didn't confirm their readiness. To avoid this trick, players who joins latest, should becomes ready-up automatically."

I would like to hear community's opinion about this solution.

#3 Yoda

Yoda

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

I don't see any actual problem with this. Yes - it is annoying a bit, but the main reason it happens  - afk people hugging on slot.

If you need to go away for a minute - use coffee button.

Mother Tereza's solution sounds good, when you join as last person auto-rup makes sense as you expected to do it.

The only problem I can see - is a lot of med subs request for the first few weeks after fix as people never read patch notes.

In reality it doesn't change whole lot, though. Instead of quick join-leave bait, this players could just wait in spec.

This issue is more about how this false alarm is annoying to you.

#4 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

One thing as a lobby leader that can be done (and I do), is if you see anyone doing something like this and then they are actually successful in getting their spy/sniper spot that they are hoping for is to immediately kick them from the slot (could probably even use the ban from lobby button but I just use kick because I would let them retake the spot they originally joined to make the lobby full, just not any other spot.)  It obviously doesn't do anything to help you immediately because you are still stuck in that almost ready position, but maybe it will make them think twice before they act like an asshat next time.  I realize you might not be the one creating the lobbies that this is happening in and if not you can't do this, but since there is little else we can do about this other than wait for the changes that MT is talking about it is at least some kind of action for those of us who create lobbies.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 11 April 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#5 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Another suggestion. This could be a part of progressive automated ban system:

"People who join and leave/don't ready up get warnings and eventually get bans".

#6 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

I didn't realise that's why they did that until seeing this topic! But is it really a problem? You can pre-ready up so you don't lose your place for 2 minutes.

• takram likes this

#7 Feel the burn

Feel the burn

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

There should be something implemented for sure, just not what Aspire has proposed.

My proposal is this : Last person to join the lobby is auto ready up, that way they won't be able to hit and run.

And that should eleminate the problem to a large degree.

#8 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

There should be something implemented for sure, just not what Aspire has proposed.

My proposal is this : Last person to join the lobby is auto ready up, that way they won't be able to hit and run.

Did you get that idea from this earlier post in this very thread?

"Some people are taking the last slot and leaving it immediately, to replace players, who didn't confirm their readiness. To avoid this trick, players who joins latest, should becomes ready-up automatically."

Also, when you implement this you should definetly not tell anybody ... that way when one of these idiots joins a heavy/med slot with the intention of leaving right away they find out about the new feature the hard way.

#9 Feel the burn

Feel the burn

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

I didn't read all the posts. Either way saying the same thing, is like agreeing.

#10 TUNE

TUNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

This happens pretty often in lobbys that I host. I would love to simply ban the player from the lobby but It happens so fast that I can't tell who is to blame. Can you alert the lobby leader to who filled the last slot and initiated the ready up? That way the leader can decide if they should be allowed into the lobby or not. Also, can we ban specs from the lobby?

#11 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

This happens pretty often in lobbys that I host. I would love to simply ban the player from the lobby but It happens so fast that I can't tell who is to blame. Can you alert the lobby leader to who filled the last slot and initiated the ready up? That way the leader can decide if they should be allowed into the lobby or not. Also, can we ban specs from the lobby?

Yeah, that is always the problem.  Being able to kick/ban someone relies on knowing who the culprit is and unless you happen to be looking at the lobby screen when it happens that can be hard to know.

No, you cannot ban someone who is in a spec spot.

So yeah, my method does have some flaws but it's still better than nothing even if I can only catch the person 1 in every 4 or 5 lobbies it happens in that is one person who received repercussions for being a dirtbag.

#12 rhK

rhK

• Users
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

What if we do this for the non-popular classes like med, heavy, engi etc. Cause I chop and change classes and when not many ppl are online I say I will swap just plz play a class :P

#13 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

I don't like this idea because I will join a lobby that has friends in any class position.  Then, if a more favorite class opens up, I may switch to that.

My behavior shouldn't be prevented but encouraged.  It will fill lobbies with people's second choice class.

I'm not going to drop out at the ready-up prompt.

• Computer and takram like this

#14 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

This seems like manifestation of the AFK slot problem discussed at some length in Lobby Timeout thread.

The fake-join strategy only works if there is a good chance of AFK slots. If AFK slotholders become less common (by whatever means), maybe this trick will not be effective anymore.
  • The Once and Future King likes this

#15 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

As annoying as it is, I realized that it's fairly effective. On top of that, it sometimes gives the activation energy for the lobby to actually start: people seeing that a lobby just needs one medic to start are more inclined to join, for the sake of playing immediately.

#16 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

As annoying as it is, I realized that it's fairly effective. On top of that, it sometimes gives the activation energy for the lobby to actually start: people seeing that a lobby just needs one medic to start are more inclined to join, for the sake of playing immediately.

But if I joined medic and then left right away the way some of the asshats on this site do, you are right that medic might be the only class needed to start the lobby but guess what?????  As it turns out if I was the one who did this and nobody was AFK, the lobby would have needed only a medic to start weather I pulled some kind of stupid stunt like that or just waited for someone who wanted to play medic to join.

#17 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

What I was saying is that the idea that the lobby might start soon (seeing everyone has ready-uped) seems to actually push people to join. From my experience, when this happens the lobby starts fairly shortly. Really the only inconvenience is that the other people get a false sense of hope.

#18 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Really the only inconvenience is that the other people get a false sense of hope.

I would hardly say this is the only inconvenience.

While I am waiting on lobbies I will sometimes pub, when I hear the ready up I have to leave that game (or at least alt+tab out of it) to go ready up and then sit there and hope that the slot that some asshole filled only to bring the lobby left will get filled by somebody else which does not happen many times so now I just got pulled out of something else for no reason.

Or maybe I am in the bathroom when I hear the "who i not ready sound" so I have to pinch of a duece and rush to my computer to ready up, and now the lobby is not even full anyway.

just to name name a couple of the other inconveniences.

#19 cyrus

cyrus

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

when u check in as last u have to go spec and back again to ready up thats maybe the problem !

#20 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:13 AM

1) It's pointless, they're there, it's giving people another button to press.

2) Is often used to troll. If a lobby is taking ages to fill, and there are 17 people waiting to play and 1 medic, for example, is missing - often some people will join that and click 'Not Ready' just to annoy people. If you're the last person to join you should automatically be ready up'd.

The criticism of #2 is that people could just leave anyway, but it's not as easy when the box is ticked. afaik they need to join a slot on another lobby to get out of it. Also it gives people another few seconds to see their name and know who the trolls are.

Cheers.

Edited by TheMattgician, 26 May 2014 - 11:34 AM.
Merged threads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed