Photo
* * * * * 1 votes
Under Review

ALs: 1stars being able to play, non-communicators being able to play.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

Sorry, I can't find the list of stuff we had to agree to when we signed up. Maybe I made that up in my head, but I could have swore there was a list that said things like "must play seriously" and "must communicate using mumble" etc. If I could find it, I'd research my point a bit more but my suggestions stands:

Make there be some kind of punishment for gamers who will not communicate. The ones who join ALs, join mumble and say nothing.

I'm sure over the 5 or so I've played probably a bunch of people didn't speak once, but it stuck out twice when the medic did not speak at all.

Today, it happened here http://logs.tf/885023our medic was afk for the first round, we rep'd him, Albert4393 came along and did not communicate for the entire game. So when he was getting shot at by a spy, or flanked, jumped, whatever, our med died when he shouldn't if he were communicating. It's just less fun when your medic won't communicate and makes it harder. Just floating the idea, because these guys, in my humble opinion, should be playing regular lobbies instead of ALs.

The other suggestion is disallowing 1star gamers to play that class. This was very apparent in a lakeside I played, our sniper had 1star and was like a ball and chain on the team. http://puu.sh/iyTSJ/4c3c712de1.pngit was crap. I would have thought a minimum of 3stars would be fine, but 1star snipers...jesus! Do you just need to launch TF2 to achieve 1star?

In summary:

1. A punishment for gamers who refuse to comm/don't have a mic, in ALs.
  2. You can only play a class if you have 3 stars.

Thanks!

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

You are absolutely right, b33p, "must play seriously" is a part of AL pledge. But it is hard to catch players who refuse to communicate. The only thing that comes to my mind is ol' good "Report" forum. But obviously it is hard to provide a proofs in such a cases. But we are open for better ideas.

As for minimum 3 stars requirement, I think it is a bit strict. Ranking system is not ideal, sometimes experienced players do not have enough stars just because they don't have enough lobbies played on their record. Maybe we could rise up requirements for vital classes like Medic.

#3 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

Would it be out of the question to !repcomms players who don't communicate? And maybe it have the punishment of RQ but you at least finish the game, as poor as it may be, with that gamer. bah, okay, i get it. rep 'em. even though teammates are usually unwilling to do this because "we'll never get a sub". riperino.

I think 3 is fine, really. 1* surely should be out of the question. The rankings are pretty terrible but 1*.....it's insulting to play with a 1*, I'd rather pick any other gamer at random from the Users Online list tbh. 1* is pretty much confirmation that you don't want to be on the same team as that person. As you get higher up the stars, year, they are less representative..but 1*!

Proposal: Minimum of 2stars required to play a class. Seems reasonable.

#4 Kris18

Kris18

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

I agree with b33p. 1* shouldn't be allowed. 2* should be bare minimum.

Also, I shouldn't be qualified as 3* on every single class. y u do dis? I never play Demo or Soldier and I couldn't even reliably stomp a pub on them. Newest change makes no sense, though I suppose that's a separate issue.

Edited by Kris18, 26 June 2015 - 03:48 AM.

#5 Albert

Albert

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hey b33p,I tried to communicate but my mic stoped to work in that lobby for unknown reasons,after the lobby I tried to fix it and it's fine now.

Blame me now B)

#6 b33p

b33p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hey b33p,I tried to communicate but my mic stoped to work in that lobby for unknown reasons,after the lobby I tried to fix it and it's fine now.

Blame me now B)

yeah we played a lobby afterwards and i spoke to you and said thank f your mic works now. doesn't stop that it was aids when you were not communicating with us from tstart til finish

#7 Showerfairy

Showerfairy

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2536 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

Id like a 3star req for all al

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ban unban admin

#8 Lolacio

Lolacio

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Totally agree with b33p here. The last 4-5 al I played had at least 1 player refusing to communicate. This was mainly the players who had 1 star or very low amount of experience in general. Either up the limit to 3 stars or make the star system more strickt. As example I have 4 or more stars at everything but don't feel like I'm any good on some of the classes because I've never even played them in comp. But according to this system I'm one of the better players on said classes.

Btw if you want me to I can get you some fancy videos and stuff regarding people refusing to comunicate. Seeing that I did record most of the games.

#9 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

Then why do we need to have the first two stars? The stars are only for advanced players to define their skill. If you would have 2 stars and still cannot play ALs when you aren't advanced player at all. So basically you are speaking about a general raise of a minimal requirements threshold.

And remember, we're still experimenting with a stars and requirements. If we would raise it too high, the number of AL players would greatly reduce and impact on ALs filling time. If we would lower it too much, it would impact on ALs quality. So we're looking for a balance. That's the purpose of this beta.

I personally like the idea to set up a minimal 3 star requirements for a critical classes: Medic, Engie, Heavy, Demo.

#10 dabeste91

dabeste91

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

In my opinion too many players have too many stars on classes they dont even main. Stars are handed out just like pamphlets except the people keep them instead of throwing them away. The rating must be much harsher because no way is some open player averaging between 3-4 stars on every class in the game. 

#11 Dagothur

Dagothur

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

If you restrict players with fewer stars from playing, there wont be a large enough playerbase to make ALs feasible.

• Mother Tereza likes this

#12 Lolacio

Lolacio

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

If you restrict players with fewer stars from playing, there wont be a large enough playerbase to make ALs feasible.

With the current amount of players(while its still free) the player amount is more then sufficient to up the limitations.

Then why do we need to have the first two stars? The stars are only for advanced players to define their skill. If you would have 2 stars and still cannot play ALs when you aren't advanced player at all. So basically you are speaking about a general raise of a minimal requirements threshold.

And remember, we're still experimenting with a stars and requirements. If we would raise it too high, the number of AL players would greatly reduce and impact on ALs filling time. If we would lower it too much, it would impact on ALs quality. So we're looking for a balance. That's the purpose of this beta.

I personally like the idea to set up a minimal 3 star requirements for a critical classes: Medic, Engie, Heavy, Demo.

A higher requirement for critical classes would be nice but I still feel like that would not be the only thing neccesary for this to work. Playing in a team that has no flank players due to them not having a lot of stars, which pretty much equals playing in open, makes it incredibly frustrating for a combo.

Thats why I keep with my proposal to make the system more strickt. People who haven't played higher than open cannot compete with the mid to prem players. Either by lack of experience or by being deaf/a mute in mumble.

#13 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

We are planning on revamping the star calculation, hopefully this (that is making the bar to enter 1 or 2) will become irrelevant as a byproduct. If it doesn't work as well, then this is still a very valid option.

#14 TUNE

TUNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

It looks like right now players don't know how close they are to being eligible for AL. It would be nice if the star system could asses all players, so those below the 3 star threshold would at least know how far away they are from being eligible, and they could focus on a certain class and watch their TPR rise until finally they are awarded 3 stars and become eligible for play. It could really encourage players to improve if they could see themselves getting close to 3 stars.

• TheMattgician likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Under Review