• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Kitty

Kitty

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

I understand that you can only have one of each map/6'sorHL. But we need more restrictions. I don't have a screen cap but just this weekend I saw well over a dozen HL's open because no one wanted to play med, heavy or engineer and then no one started. (Or atleast it took a long while)

I suggest maybe 2 per EU OR NA OR AU which is then 2 6's or HL.

I know it means some people will play what they don't want but I've been in a situation where I spent a day playing medic game after game because all I had to do was open up center and see 4-5 lobbies only needing medic.

• nightblade, fraac and Mahmoud like this

#2 Madison

Madison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

We've all seen it before. There's 2+ lobbies up, all waiting for the same three classes-heavy, engie, and medic. Desperate, the users await their golden savior so they can start. They look at the homepage again, and there's yet ANOTHER lobby that's going to suck up players, and 99% of the time it's made by spy and sniper mains. Nothing is more frustrating than this, which brings me to my suggestion.

There should be a limitation of 3 NA Highlander and 3 NA 6s lobbies to stop this from happening. 

#3 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Topics has been merged.

#4 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm not sure how much I like this, but I agree it's kind of necessary.

The question is: Does limiting the number of lobbies actually make things start faster? The idea is that people are more likely to offclass, but maybe that idea is wrong in the first place.

#5 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

I'm not sure how much I like this, but I agree it's kind of necessary.

The question is: Does limiting the number of lobbies actually make things start faster? The idea is that people are more likely to offclass, but maybe that idea is wrong in the first place.

There is separate thread for members also

#6 Feel the burn

Feel the burn

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

This needs to happen. I think the divide by 100 principle should apply.

For instance if there are 300 EU players on, only 3 HL and 3 (or less) 6s games can be in an open state.

Otherwise it gets ridiculous. This is by the way an educated guess about the numbers because I've played a lot of lobbies and I know when the waiting starts getting too long.

• fraac likes this

#7 Mahmoud

Mahmoud

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

the long waiting time is always about med/heavy/engi

Maybe we should reward users who finish a certain amount of lobbies or subs playing these classes by a reliability increase or something.

• naknak likes this

#8 Feel the burn

Feel the burn

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

I don't know about that, Mahmoud, would you really want a person with a problem with keeping himself in a lobby be on a class like med or engi ?

And I doubt a lot of people would care that much about it.

Maybe something else can be done though, let's say if you've been a medic/engi/heavy in so and so lobbies you can take part in a raffle in the end of the week or the month. And the users would donate items for the raffle. Something like that. It might work.

Of course this will require upkeep by the staff and I think they might not want to deal with something like that right now.

For the time being limiting the ammount of lobbies should work to some degree and it's easy to impement.

#9 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

The achivements system is on the way

#10 «Gғм» KNTRL!

«Gғм» KNTRL!

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

4pm CEST. Really? Totally upvote what OP says.

cb971effba.jpg

• Feel the burn likes this

#11 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

We definately are going to be doing something about this in the future. We had a plan for how to deal with it but you'd have to ask Mother Tereza what the progress of that is, however there a lot of things on the site that need changing and improving so I would ask that you guys be patient. We only have 5 developers, all of whom have full time jobs and bills to pay working on this site in their spare time so stuff can be a little slow at times.

I think another problem is our system to prevent the same lobby being made more than once is broken right now. As you can see in the screenshot above there are 3 instances of pl_upward and I've seen as many as 5 of the same lobby type at once so fixing this bug is also high up on our priority list.

Thank you for your continuing support and patience :)

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#12 Saga

Saga

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Just now at 23:22...8 god damn eu hls...

Implement a limit ASAP pls.

#13 fraac

fraac

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

There are 6 EU 6v6 open now, including 3 gullywash. All waiting for medics. Why hasn't this been addressed yet?

#14 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

If there are 3 gullys, the problem is part design and part bug, since there should not be two similar lobbies (though mumble requirement makes a distinct lobby). So I doubt the problem is that simple to solve. Also, from what I understand, the devs are pretty busy with more core related stuff.

Edited by TheMattgician, 08 May 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#15 FromZero2Hero

FromZero2Hero

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

Any possibility you can only create a certain amount of lobbies compared to the people that are online for each timezone?

#16 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

the devs are pretty busy with more core related stuff.

I don't know what is considered "core" related stuff or why it is more important than things like this, but I would think the devs would want a functional website that is pleasant to visit.  This problem of joining a lobby for mapX, when it is half full another lobby for mapX opens, and somehow fills faster than the one you are in and now you are stuck waiting another 20 minutes in addition to the 15 you have already waited (and that is assuming another mapX lobby doesn't open and fill before yours) is quite a serious issue.  It makes wait times for lobbies to fill almost unbearable.  I have had many nights where after waiting for half an hour and not getting a full lobby just give up and play CS:GO instead since there are almost 10 NAHL mumble lobbies and 3 are one map there are two or three sets of two of another map and then a troll map or two and none of them seem to want to fill.

Getting rid of duplicate lobbies would help lobbies fill faster and overall vastly improve the experience of users on the site.

• fraac likes this

#17 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I don't understand all these people waging war on open lobbies.  

If people want to join an empty lobby instead of a full one, so what?  If no one wants to play medic, well, that's going to happen.  If there are 18 people who want to play but they can't agree on a map, then they don't get to play.  

Even prohibiting dupes is questionable -- the site should steer you to the more-full one via sorting/filtering/whatever.  Limiting distinct lobbies is, to me, just crazy.

#18 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

The fact is naknak that when there are fewer lobbies they start quicker. I main spy, but if there's only one lobby and I'm tight on time, I don't mind playing solly or almost whatever's left. If there are a bunch of lobbies open, I'll might go for the one with a spy slot free (again, depending on how much time I've got to spare). People have usually one main, but they have a couple of other classes they enjoy playing occasionally. With less lobbies, they'll be more inclined to join that other class. Of course, that's not to say they'll never play their main.

One of the crucial advantages to TF2C is the fact that you can play a lobby quickly if you don't have much time (which seems to be far from your case).

#19 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Then the site should reward people who play the less-popular classes, and it should display almost-full lobbies more prominently (like it does with sub slots).  Limiting choice is the wrong answer.

I could say that having high limits on spy/sniper "forces" people to play heavy/medic.  Should that be mandatory too?

#20 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

I don't think rewards will

I'm not sure why limiting choice is the wrong answer (MotherTereza had an algorithm on lobby number limitation depending on how many active players there are, don't know what's the implementation status on that). By playing a lot of lobbies, people still get to play their main.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: In Progress