• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bobmus

bobmus

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

As we all know, med subs are harder to get that any other class (engi/heavy debatable alternatives). There needs to be a higher penalty to dissuade people from quitting and screwing over their team - perhaps a 2 hour ban?

• TheCapeKid likes this

#2 lafc

lafc

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

Good idea to punish medic player.

• The Once and Future King likes this

#3 MsAnimator7

MsAnimator7

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

A bigger punishment for ragequitters in general is what we need, targetting Medics specifically would just dissuade people from playing the class.

• The Once and Future King, Tury, TheCapeKid and 1 other like this

76561198037560108.png

#4 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

That would dissuade people from ever joining as medic in the first place

#5 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:19 PM

Meds leaving is not a trivial thing; I have also seen cases where meds get bullied away or just get repped. Let's just leave it as it is, and wait for Advanced Lobbies to solve all our problems.

• Brightly likes this

#6 JNeb900

JNeb900

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:22 AM

If meds get a 2-hour ban for leaving, then there will be even less medics to fill lobbies

I play med a lot, and I can definitely say that medics take most of the blame if the team is doing badly. So what if I get repped simply because my team is bad? Not my fault

#7 jmomo

jmomo

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:42 AM

I play medic 90% of the time.

Just minutes ago I put in a ban request for a troll who tried to get me (as med) repped from my team. He would hurt himself and then start screaming over mumble about how the medic wasn't healing him (he had the equalizer out).

I seriously thought about rage quitting, but I didn't. In hindsight, I probably should have. I was being trolled and abused and everyone on my team was a sucker and fell for it, even though I was doing my job.

Punishing rage quitters is a good thing, and having your med rage quit is definitely a problem for the entire team.

However, this isn't a medic specific problem and can be addressed globally through a player reputation system.

Medics get almost constant abuse from other players.  The result is this:  https://www.reddit.c..._in_a_nutshell/

Medics don't need to be punished any more than they are already being punished.  Not having a player reputation is a bigger problem than just medics quitting.

#8 jmomo

jmomo

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

I have another story to follow up on this issue.

This is the case of a first-time TFC player who wanted to play medic and how he was abused. This happened yesterday and I immediately thought about this post after it happened.

http://logs.tf/712189

This is the last lobby I played yesterday evening.

http://tf2center.com...561198083002740

This is the profile for the opposite team medic. Notice that he has 2900 hours, but zero lobbies and one rage quit.

Prior to game play, this new player had asked if it was okay for him to join, said he was new, and asked some questions. To their credit, a number of people tried to help.

https://tf2center.com/lobbies/355109

22:33:28 Leo LFT Medic: so
22:33:31 Leo LFT Medic: im kinda new to this
22:33:35 Leo LFT Medic: and uh
22:33:45 Leo LFT Medic: does it automatically connect to the server
22:33:49 ℙℴɱεʀɑɳɨɑℕ: Yes
22:33:59 ℙℴɱεʀɑɳɨɑℕ: If not it will give you server info you can copy and paste into console
22:34:21 Huntsman S. Thompson: we can help
22:35:03 Leo LFT Medic: how long do these usually take?

So, what happens?

Our spy is plat, our team is stacked, and we proceed to roll all over them, and it goes 3-0.

The new medic rage quits after his team tries to rep him and he gets berated in chat.

A summary of the in-game chat:

[F2pro] Zorro.3.:    Medic you suck !
jmomo:    Don't abuse your med plz
Leo LFT Medic:    this is the worst scrimage comp I have ever played
Huntsman S. Thompson:    dont beat up a first lobby medic just because you are losing
Byth <3s Katie Bug:    we're annoyed that your med left and that you all were so negative

This is why so few people want to play medic.

In summary, new guy tries out TFC as med, we try to encourage him to join in, his team yells at him when they all suck, they try to rep him, he rage quits, our team is horrified and sad about it, and he probably won't ever come back to TFC.

To be sure, this player said a few thing in chat which made the situation worse, but are hardly out of color for the situation. It's not appropriate to blame someone for being mad about being abused.

Hopefully TFC can improve in the future by taking incidents like this into consideration.

#9 bobmus

bobmus

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Every response so far suggests that medic abuse is a problem, so why not carry more reports of this to the ban request forums and punish these players more?

With feedback, alternative suggestion: give med players a different rep system - no penalty if they get reported and replaced by their own team, but harsher penalties for rage quitting - this gives medics more incentive to see a match through. Obviously this carries the problem of not punishing afk-ers, but the almost empty looking report forum suggests that a boost in activity in reporting meds who do this frequently wouldn't add too much strain on the mods.

#10 Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

If anything, medics should be rewarded for sticking out a match all the way through, maybe with an extra profile badge or something. It's easily the hardest class to fill a slot for, is one of if not the most important class, and probably has the most pressure on them. Anything to punish medic players more harshly would just exacerbate the problem.
76561197964522552.png

#11 bobmus

bobmus

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

Personally I don't think simply not quitting a lobby deserves a special good boy sticker, but isn't that the whole idea of the profile achievements section?

#12 Nepeta Leijon

Nepeta Leijon

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

Yeah I had forgotten about the achievement for playing medic. It's not so much simply not quitting a lobby, I think playing medic should carry some extra incentives.

76561197964522552.png

#13 Kengur

Kengur

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

We should put up a Committee on Medic Abuse and Neglect  :D Srsly all responsible leaders should put some minimal requirements like 50 lobbys for med.

#14 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

We should put up a Committee on Medic Abuse and Neglect  :D Srsly all responsible leaders should put some minimal requirements like 50 lobbys for med.

I used to try to put requirements on my lobbies in general.  It's something that cannot reasonably be done because the community is too child like and will just whine and complaing and cry or just not join the lobby (even though they meet the reqs) causeing it to take hours to fill.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined