#1 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

This is kind of both a bug and a suggestion but I'll post it here.

7zJdL.png

This little window right here is kind of not that visible. It only shows on the lobby listing page and not the lobby page itself. Also I believe it should be much more prominent than a little black box in the top right. Possibly a dialogue box / modal window (I think that's what they're called) that you have to click past to get into the lobby.

In general this should be able to help us host lobbies in Australia without euros or Americans joining. I've tried, and generally you just spend the whole time kicking people during the set up phase.

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

I have better idea. How about additional "Lock lobby by region" tick during lobby creation? By enabling this option, lobby leader allows to enter its lobby only users from the same region as server's origin.

• TheMattgician likes this

#3 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Yes ideally, although I was under the impression that this was an intentional decision to not implement this. 100% preferable in my eyes though.

Added to suggestions list

Edited by R.E.M., 19 March 2014 - 12:20 AM.
This idea is already on suggestions list

#4 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

More visible region warning - rejected

Region locking - scheduled.

Marked as scheduled.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#5 jayserp

jayserp

former staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Copied from developer meeting notes:

Locked lobbies shouldn't show up at all for players who can't join. We should locate the player. It is very useless and annoying for a player to see a locked icon on a lobby and a message when they can't play.

Also, some players like to be able to join NA games. I used to play alot until 5am, when EU lobbies would die. I would join east coast servers, and with a ping of around 80-100, it was definitely very playable.

jayserp | steam

#6 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Copied from developer meeting notes:

Locked lobbies shouldn't show up at all for players who can't join. We should locate the player. It is very useless and annoying for a player to see a locked icon on a lobby and a message when they can't play.

Also, some players like to be able to join NA games. I used to play alot until 5am, when EU lobbies would die. I would join east coast servers, and with a ping of around 80-100, it was definitely very playable.

Disagree.

Firstly, we are talking about special option that can be ticked by lobby leader during creation of lobby. Therefore far not every lobby will be locked. Secondly, the lobbies locked by region also need to be shown to give players idea about how big TF2C's userbase and how much various regions are involved. Everyone could be able to enter such lobbies and join the chat or just watch (remember about STV feature). Only slots are actually locked. So if you are from another region, you just can't take locked slots.

As addition we can add one more filtering option for lobbies locked by region.

#7 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

I agree with Jay. It's just so much simpler and user-friendly to hide lobbies that you can't access rather than have the users have to go into their settings to hide lobbies that they can't join. The lobby filter system is there for user preference, not so they can remove from view something they don't even need to see.

I also frequently play on US servers when there are no EU lobbies and get 90 ish ping and it's totally playable and the only reason anyone notices I'm from the UK is my accent ^^

Former TF2C Moderator

#8 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Status changed to "In progress". List already updated

#9 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

The other thing is there might be issues with people being mislabeled as from another region and might require manual database editing. Also there should be a way for lobby leaders to invite someone outside the region if they would like to / if there's a bug with the geoip system. Both of these will be hindered by the lobby not even showing up. 

Visually, put a lock icon in the right bottom corner of the flag, that should signify it pretty well. 

#10 DZCreeper

DZCreeper

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

The problem with this is that geographical location is not always a good representation of ping. Combined with the fact that geographical locations is easily faked, even accidently if a user leaves a VPN turned on while gaming, there should be a more prominant warning but outright locking lobbies to a region is not reasonable.

Additionaly, I have seen plenty of European and American players that can play on servers on both sides with under 150 ping.

#11 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

It's honestly less about the big communities, it's about the small ones. From my experience in the Australian community, players coming with high ping will get flamed to the ages, especially if they end up in a high level lobby with div 1 players (I've been this close to banning Tommunist lol) and the poor UGC iron from europe with 400+ ping (no exaggeration) is far out of his depth. Sure, there are exceptions, but those can be dealt with on a case by case basis because the overall benefit is much higher. 

150 ping is no problem really between east coast of the US and Eruope, but when you get to 200+ on non hitscan classes, it's going to be an issue because we are so isolated here. It will make players want to not play on TF2C and go back to the old steam group pug system that almost never has high ping players... This kills the site. 

#12 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Not to mention that Australia has some of the worst internet of the developed world which dosen't help when some guy from europe is joining their lobbies. The US's internet is a lot better depending on where you are:

http://www.news.com....0-1226560992748

http://gizmodo.com/a...-1057686215/all

Former TF2C Moderator

#13 effort

effort

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

I would love to see a region lock implemented.  When there are almost 10 non-NA lobbies up and 1 NA lobby and Euros purposely join the NA lobby it's a small problem but not that bad.  When you notice its the same 10 or so people who always do it it's a little bigger problem.  When they literally 100% of the time play scout and obviously know how to abuse the ping shield with their movement, it's a huge problem and borderline bannable in my opinion.  I know there are many like myself that would love the option to region lock lobbies.  Hell, even just a little region flag next to everyone's name so the lobby leader can kick accordingly would be a massive improvement.

#14 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

I would love to see a region lock implemented.  When there are almost 10 non-NA lobbies up and 1 NA lobby and Euros purposely join the NA lobby it's a small problem but not that bad.  When you notice its the same 10 or so people who always do it it's a little bigger problem.  When they literally 100% of the time play scout and obviously know how to abuse the ping shield with their movement, it's a huge problem and borderline bannable in my opinion.  I know there are many like myself that would love the option to region lock lobbies.  Hell, even just a little region flag next to everyone's name so the lobby leader can kick accordingly would be a massive improvement.

Agreed.  As it is, I will sometimes check peoples profiles and UGC/ETF2L teams and if I see they are on a Euro team I will ban them from that lobby, however that is time consuming and only works if they are in a league or have their country on their Steam Profile.  A simple region flag would make this process easy, and also serve as a warning to anyone else joining the lobby that they are going to have to deal with an idiot with high ping if they stay in the lobby meaning as a participant and not a creator of the lobby I could see there are people from out of the region and either encourage the leader to kick them or join a different lobby if the leader will not.

#15 Tommunist

Tommunist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

I guess this is less of an issue for american/European users since you get better ping to Europe/america respectively, but for Australian lobbys people connecting to our servers will get 200 (america) to 350 ping (most euros) which makes projectile classes unplayable, and non enjoyable for other people playing. 

The response to high ping players from other "scenes" has been to use a community password, except that subs spots don't  (can't be?) get passworded, so half the time, we'll have a high ping player connecting to a spot which disadvantages their team through ping etc. 

this makes it frustrating to get subs, as you have to vote to kick the high ping player, and play the lottery in the hope you get someone from Australia joining. 

Would like to request the ability to password subs, or region lock subs i guess. 

Edited by TheMattgician, 06 July 2014 - 10:08 AM.
Merged Threads

#16 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

This item was discussed in latest staff meeting and we're going to implement this soon. There will be an extra checkbox when creating a Lobby, default the region lock will be disabled to match current behavior. I will think about showing/hiding Lobbies with this lock enabled...

#17 Luop90

Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

This item was discussed in latest staff meeting and we're going to implement this soon. There will be an extra checkbox when creating a Lobby, default the region lock will be disabled to match current behavior. I will think about showing/hiding Lobbies with this lock enabled...

Or make it an option in the filter. "Hide Region Blocked Lobbies?" That way if someone doesn't want to see lobbies they can't join, they don't have to. Some people might want to view them; other probably won't :P
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#18 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

There should also be more specific areas shown besides North America and Europe. I'd like to see what state or city the server is being hosted from to get an educated guess on ping.

#19 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

There should also be more specific areas shown besides North America and Europe. I'd like to see what state or city the server is being hosted from to get an educated guess on ping.

That is a different subject, somewhere a bit further down my list.

#20 Taddy

Taddy

Under Probation

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

That is a different subject, somewhere a bit further down my list.

Oh is there already a thread created for that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed