7 replies to this topic

#1 Schalla

Schalla

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hello guys,

I see it quite usually that people come to TF2Center without having any knowledge about Classes,

their jobs and how to play with them. Including loadouts, etc...

In order to avoid that, I just had the idea, that when ppl login and want to join a lobby, they instead

get offered to get redirected to an introduction site. At this site, they can choose which class they 

are the most interested in and they get an explanation of the class, its plus and minus, the jobs in 6on6/HL

and additionally recommended loadouts.

Why?

I am aware that there are tons of resources, but they are splattered all over the internet. Also, some people

have no clue what to look for, but would like to get a grasp for there class before start playing.

This way the amount of people running around with some weird loadout may be reduced, more players may

join for some TF2 Lobby Gameplay and the overall experience could be better for all players in the lobby.

Why not?

The disadvantage is that this is combined with work for the developers. I could offer help in the implementation

of the system, if the idea is liked by the team and community and there is any help required.

Regards,

Schalla

• Captain Pegleg likes this

#2 Mother Tereza

Mother Tereza

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Steam Profile

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

We are going to launch the illustrated "Quick start TF2C guide" for a newbies, so that your suggestion could be a nice addition to it. As you rightly mentioned above, we don't have a time to mess with such stuff. If you or someone will collect all required info, links and resources, write a thoughtful texts for it, make a structured document, I think I can make a separately designed page for this purpose. So go ahead.

• Captain Pegleg and Schalla like this

#3 Harry Kaine

Harry Kaine

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:39 PM

i player who dont know what a heavy,  scout or whatever have to do shouldnt play on this site. just implement 400 hours(or better more)requirement to play on tf2center. it would reduce alot of trouble !!  i know u lose some players and the 1000players mark to reach will be a bit harder but at the end quality goes before quantity !

#4 Schalla

Schalla

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

That is nothing but nonsense. I got about 200 Hours on this account and played 1-2 years ago with another account like another 200-300 hours, yet I reach a decent score and pick important targets as scout or get a decent heal rate. Hours got nothing to do with skill.

Your requirement only reduces the chances that the TF2 community in terms of competitive play will grow, since you do not allow players to get an idea how the thing works. Also, its a huge difference how to play on a pub as Scout or what is your job in a 6on6 or HL match, just as example. What are primary targets, which healing order for the medic, who to uber, which target you should pick as sniper, etc.

A few people forget that they also started as noobs. I saw ppl with 2-3k+ hours who played worse than a lot of <500 hour players. I can also go 2 months afk on an idle server with a secondary computer, I will be so gud.

• Mother Tereza likes this

#5 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

I think the guides section in our forums are the perfect place for users to submit their class-specific guides.

#6 Schalla

Schalla

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

That statement is true. But then again we got the issue: Do people see that? When I as new player visit the site, I do not visit the board. It would be better to offer the player "Hey, you seem to be new here, click here to get an introduction for different classes and their roles in competitive TF2", that its more likely that he visits the content.

The issue is not that there is no content, nope, rather that there are tons of resources in different places and the quality difference is extreme high. While some content is just amazing, other is just not really helpful or targeted for beginners. Aside from the quality issue, I think its an issue that players do not find the resources and do not even consider doing so, because they may get decent scores in Pub etc and think they will do well also in Lobbies.

Thats why I had the idea to send new players to such a kind of page where you know that the quality is decent, the stuff is up2date and the guide covers most topics important for the start. Nothing speaks against the Board for class-specific guides, but I would rather mean something like comprehensive for each class a short text + desc and a general explanation whats going on rather.

Hope I made it more clear now, thanks for your feedback!

#7 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

i player who dont know what a heavy,  scout or whatever have to do shouldnt play on this site. just implement 400 hours(or better more)requirement to play on tf2center. it would reduce alot of trouble !!  i know u lose some players and the 1000players mark to reach will be a bit harder but at the end quality goes before quantity !

On the flip side, people can have thousands of hours and still know nothing about competetive. Hours don't mean anything, and this site is to help people learn competetive. A guide here for new players would be great!
  • Schalla likes this

#8 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

This won't be done directly on the page, but there will be a section with links to comp.tf and whatnot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scheduled