ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

READ THIS

There is a lot of discussion about mumble bans and mumbility.  Some constructive, mostly not.

Several fixes have gone in.

YOU MUST Post your external IP address if you are having issues that you want solved.  Don't know your IP?  Try this: https://www.whatismyip.com/

Q: I keep on getting "the remote host closed the connection".  [...] It's not just tf2center, unfortunately, but many many Mumbles.

A: It is likely that you are banned from mumble either by accident or for being disruptive.  Additionally, some ISPs, or misconfigured routers, https://en.wikipedia...licopter_parent or countries with censorship cause this.  If you can't connect to our mumble server or possibly any other mumble server, I assure you ours is working.  It's probably your client or a localized network issue.

Q: The problem is that my IP is blocked by your Mumble server.

A: this is a matter of perspective.  Probably in the past the SOLUTION was that you are blocked to our mumble server.

Q: [...] The lobby page said I joined mumble [...] I seem to be having a similar issue with mumble indicator not working [...] I was 100% in mumble the entire time, and the icon was green. Here is an image as proof:

A: The lobby mumble indicator is a moment in time.  Detection is much more advanced by checking frequently as the match transpires.  So you can see that temporarily muting or leaving or not being in mumble the whole time can leave you with a positive mumble indicator in the lobby as well as a ban for poor mumble behavior during the match.

Q:  yeah I was in mumble with (name) during the lobby; he talked a pretty good amount i seem to recall. He was with me and another of our teammates, definitely was there. [...] I was mumblebanned after deafening and muting myself half way through a single game, for a period of less than five minutes.

A: Unless you are checking every minute, during your match, making sure someone isn't deafened/muted or disconnecting and rejoining or leaving mumble a few seconds before game end, don't assume that your feelings of someone being in mumble are more accurate than the automated detection.

Q: if it keeps acting up we'll just have less and less mumble required lobbies

A: Wrong.  Don't quit the day job, psychic.

Q: What about making a rule that only allows English in mumble?

A:  That rule does already exist.  Perhaps Google can detect language spoken by audio, but we don't have that kind of resources to make our mumble detection detect which language.

Q: other people have brought up being banned from mumble, in significant numbers

A: Many people don't realize how complex mumble detection can be, and perform bad behaviors that cause detection to fail.  Failing even once during one minute of a lobby can lead to a  ban.  Systems are unforgiving with "reasons".  If they see you muted for a minute, or drop out and come right back, they either ban you or don't.

Q: I am kinda pissed this happened. or fix the code or get rid of the feature people are leaving the site since it's broke. or I don't know when this was implented but it's pretty stupid

A: Mumbility is a community requested feature to self-police against games that are ruined by one team having good comms and one team having a combo that is not talking to each other at all and totally disjointed.  It will get even more extreme when advanced lobbies roll out.  If you don't like it, or have run afoul of it, first off don't shoot the messenger.  TF2C supplied the heavily requested feature.  If you can't get it together enough to follow some basic mumble guidelines, then play where it is not required.

Q: I made a lobby, was in mumble and my router disconnected. Now i have mumbility 1 even though i always use mumble.

A: you must be in mumble, with the same IP address for the whole game, with the same IP address for both your game and Mumble, never muted nor deafened, not disconnecting and reconnecting, before the game starts and until the game is 100% finished.  That's the fact, Jack.  Don't do that, and you were officially not in mumble.

Q: So ive been having some lag issues, where midgame ill lag out of the game and mumble, but ill go back after the issue like literally less than a minute later, in my instance 20 seconds and 40ish seconds and play the rest of the game. then when i exit i am mumble banned

A: you must be in mumble, with the same IP address for the whole game, with the same IP address for both your game and Mumble, never muted nor deafened, not disconnecting and reconnecting, before the game starts and until the game is 100% finished.  That's the fact, Jack.  Don't do that, and you were officially not in mumble.

Q: [...] When I first joined mumble, I had to deafen and undeafen in order for mumble to recognize me.

Q: [...]channel when my internet hiccuped.. or [...]and my router disconnected or [...] I had to restart the computer and since then I am now banned once again from mumble required lobbies. or [...]I left the game early because we got rolled on the first round or [...]if my IP changes slightly due to an internet hiccup that's out of my control [...] during which my mumble was constantly connecting and reconnecting [...] I joined mumble a little late and got banned for mumble lobbies

Q: [...]Personally I think this system is completely broken.

A: The system is broken because of you.  For you.  It works fine for over 1,000 other people every day.  Do not assume that because your car's muffler is loud that all car mufflers are incorrectly designed/built.  And don't waste our time.

Q: how can I test?

A: Try directly logging in by setting up a connection in mumble host:

Label: TF2Center Mumble (or anything)

Address: mumble.tf2center.com

Port: 64738

Username: (you pick)

• Mother Tereza, Sterling, mariPr and 5 others like this

#2 Slicerogue

Slicerogue

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

So ive been having some lag issues, where midgame ill lag out of the game and mumble, but ill go back after the issue like literally less than a minute later, in my instance 20 seconds and 40ish seconds and play the rest of the game. then when i exit i am mumble banned. I'd like a request for a timer on the mumble ban, for example maybe like 2 minutes just like the lobby does, this way people who lag out can still return and play the rest of the game like they used to while not getting mumble banned for not being in mumble for less than a minute due to a technical issue.

Edited by Slicerogue, 28 November 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#3 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

Just get your shit in order...

#4 kKaltUu

kKaltUu

Clown

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

http://rc.tf2center....561198037550223

Joined http://rc.tf2center.com/lobbies/273864

He was in mumble, site didn't show him as in mumble so I made him reconnect using mumble connect button on lobby page

Still didn't show up as connected.

Checked log IP and IP in mumble table, matched. 

#5 RayGun

RayGun

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

Really weird. It was fine beforehand, no issues whatsoever. Now I've been banned from mumble another two times because it didn't show me on the site using mumble.

Here's another instance: http://rc.tf2center.com/lobbies/274100

I checked my browser and it's up to date.

• Enginty likes this

#6 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

Really weird. It was fine beforehand, no issues whatsoever. Now I've been banned from mumble another two times because it didn't show me on the site using mumble.

Here's another instance: http://rc.tf2center.com/lobbies/274100

I checked my browser and it's up to date.

Your browser IP and mumble IPs are different. Your browser uses 149.78.213.66, your mumble client uses 213.57.64.96 and 213.57.64.57. Are you using a different device? Maybe a smart phone to connect?

Anyway, I have found that you were indeed in Mumble during those Lobbies and out of pure kindness I have reset your Mumble punishment level. However, this will be a one-time deal and you need to make sure you're using the same IPs; figure it out ;-)

MN

#7 Nox

Nox

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:16 AM

I've been banned from mumble required lobbies even though the lobby page says I'm in mumble.

Lobby #274457

When I first joined mumble, I had to deafen and undeafen in order for mumble to recognize me. This happens everytime I join a mumble required lobby and it always ends up in a ban.

My TF2Center Profile

Toas1t_zpsaa2dd8ef.gif

#8 skyttle

skyttle

• Users
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

TF2C Profile: skyttle
Region: NA

Browser: Mozilla Firefox
Critical plugins: * AdBlock
Connection type: * WiFi* Router

Bug type: Mumble
Lobby ID: 278421
Date & Time: 2014-12-11 18:07:06

Joined Mumble-required lobby #278441, and entered Mumble while we were still waiting on classes to fill up, before the lobby started. I also remaind in the channel for the entire game; we completed the it at approximately 11:02 AM PST, as per logs:
After the match ended, I returned to tf2center and signed up for lobby #278421, and was still waiting on classes to fill up, when I was suddenly removed from the Red team and given a notice that I'd received a Mumble-required lobby ban. This occurred at 11:07 AM PST, before the lobby was even ready.
Date Expires Category Admin Forum Description 2014-12-11 18:07:06 2014-12-11 18:37:06 Join Mumble-Required Lobby TF2C Auto Mumble Monitor link Cooldown level 0: Lobby #278421

According to the ban description on my profile page, it was the 2nd lobby which caused me to be banned for failing to join Mumble - which is really bizzare, since the lobby hadn't even started. It's launch time was 11:30AM PST - over 20 minutes after I was banned
I hope this information helps track down the issue. Thank you!

- skyttle

#9 Goddard

Goddard

• Users
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:54 AM

TF2C Profile: Goddard
Region: NA

Browser: Google Chrome
Critical plugins: * Adblock Plus
Connection type: * WiFi* Router

Bug type: Mumble
Lobby ID: 279378
Date & Time: 12 Dec 21:23 EST

21:23:02 TF2Center: Lobby closed: MATCH_ENDED
21:23:03 TF2Center: Substitute is on their way for Lobby#279378 BLUE SPY: [FP] Goddard

I was mumble banned for failure to join mumble. However, it is impossible for me to do so, since I substituted in the game after it ended. Please unban me. Thanks.

#10 Vortex

Vortex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:36 AM

There seems to be a bug where if you reconnect to the mumble channel you still get a mumble ban. Or at least, that's my theory.

I was in lobby #279620 and the correct mumble channel when my internet hiccuped right before the game started. I auto reconnected to the mumble within the same minute and rejoined the game, but I was given a mumble ban by the end of the game.

#11 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

I have had a friend approach me with the same complaint.  I agree that this is going on.

Merged in 2x bug reports.

The trend here is that, if you sub, you stand a chance of getting a mumble ban even if you ARE in mumble.

#12 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

There seems to be a bug where if you reconnect to the mumble channel you still get a mumble ban. Or at least, that's my theory.

I was in lobby #279620 and the correct mumble channel when my internet hiccuped right before the game started. I auto reconnected to the mumble within the same minute and rejoined the game, but I was given a mumble ban by the end of the game.

Just sorted your situation out. It has nothing to do with subs; here's what happened:

Lobby starts, you join Mumble, after 2 minutes your IP changes, you rejoin and play the match.

So the problem is that TF2C does not recognize you after you rejoined, since your IP has changed and is now different from the old one on the site. This stuff is not trivial to solve, so let me think of a solution.

For now, I have reset your Mumble punishment level.

MN

Ps. next time, plz specify your TF2C profile url since your IP changes a lot...

#13 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

UPDATE: http://rc.tf2center....elog#2014-12-14

This should fix most corner cases; let me know if anything unusual happens still...

#14 awlnx

awlnx

• Users
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:21 AM

lobby #281384
was in mumble the entire time.
never played a lobby without mumble.
Personally I think this system is completely broken. 
The ones that are troublesome join mumble and deafen and mute themselves. This is a  serious issue.
also if its relevant I think I was a sub that round

Edited by awlnx, 15 December 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#15 Obli

Obli

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

UPDATE: http://rc.tf2center....elog#2014-12-14

This should fix most corner cases; let me know if anything unusual happens still...

Hello.

Just thought that you might want to read this as I am having the same issue as other users.

http://forums.tf2cen...umble-and-tf2c/

With all due respect. Cheers.

#16 r4nd0m

r4nd0m

• Users
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

I made a lobby, was in mumble and my router disconnected.

Now i have mumbility 1 even though i always use mumble.

#17 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

I made a lobby, was in mumble and my router disconnected.

Now i have mumbility 1 even though i always use mumble.

What exactly don't you understand about this?

#18 Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:20 AM

Just a question, I don't recall reading this anywhere... but do you get mumble bans if you get reported and leave a lobby early, even if you were in Mumble? This has happened to me recently twice... it sort of makes sense since you Do leave Mumble too but, if you're not playing anymore... kinda doesn't make sense.

#19 MasterNoob

MasterNoob

Founder

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3757 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

Just a question, I don't recall reading this anywhere... but do you get mumble bans if you get reported and leave a lobby early, even if you were in Mumble? This has happened to me recently twice... it sort of makes sense since you Do leave Mumble too but, if you're not playing anymore... kinda doesn't make sense.

This case should affect your Reliability not your Mumbility; so don't worry about that. If there is a problem with this, let me know...

#20 The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

I have today gotten a mumble ban despite always joining mumble when I play lobbies :(

Now I see why some people were unhappy about the mumbility.

I guess at least it's the first time the site has fucked me.

Edited by The Once and Future King, 21 December 2014 - 12:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: In Progress, Pending Dev response