Luop90

>implying I have a title

• +Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Steam Profile

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

What about adding another section under the player stats, next to hours in game, lobbies played etc, have a "lobbies as medic" area? Than have a little competition each month and whoever played the most lobbies as medic gets a key or something.
Why do mathematicians confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec!

#42 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

What about adding another section under the player stats, next to hours in game, lobbies played etc, have a "lobbies as medic" area? Than have a little competition each month and whoever played the most lobbies as medic gets a key or something.

People would probably just play lobbies as medic to show off the number and also to get the free key/prize. I don't feel like rewarding people for playing medic is the right idea, it should be more about making people more aware of medics role so they are more open to playing medic.
Posted Image

#43 Neidii

Neidii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

It would be great with some type of mentoring system on tf2center. People that have plenty of medic experience could help and encourage new players to pick up the class or help them get better. We all know how frustrating it can be playing with inexperienced medics. Too often I hear players being openly hostile against them instead of trying to help. I'm not sure exactly how to encourage people to play this class other than trying to help them somehow, medics are as rare as heavies and engineers.

#44 Kochernaut

Kochernaut

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Well can only agree with other people here, that the medic is getting all the blame.

Just found this site yesterday, only been playing pub games, so prob don't know all I need to know, been playing mostly highlander as medic or heavy.

Joined a 6vs6 map with 4 from same clan - no voice chat, no other means of communication other than spamming the medic button and then after 3 fast loses, I get reped even thought I'm highest on score because my team can't kill shit. 

Bullshit like this, is prob the reason no one plays medic. 

Read the guide posting in this forum, and kinda did what it states but impossible to do shit in a 6v6 with 0 communication and better players on other team -.-

#45 <basically deleted>

<basically deleted>

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Kochernaut =>

Were you on mumble ? Because it's almost mandatory if you play med. You need to know the situation and, consequently, communicate quickly and easily with your team mates :(

If you weren't, it's probably because of you (if your teammates were on mumble of course)

#46 Kenneth

Kenneth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

Yeah as a medic I would never join a lobby that isn't mumble required, and I would force the issue if people weren't joining up to mumble... It's just not fun to try and work out your pocket smoke signals.

On a related note, medic almost always topscores because valve wanted to reward people who go medic, so it's really freaking easy to score points. Makes it great because to see if medic is up or down you almost always just look at the top of the scoreboard :3

• TheMattgician likes this

#47 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

Personally as a medic main I have no problem to play medic in lobbies. However I understand the anxiety of playing medic in lobbies when you are not very good at it as I was not always a good medic. It is a LOT of pressure as the outcome of a game can entirely depend on you. That isn't something I think anyone can fix, short of making a medic less useful by some means. Because of that I'm not sure its possible to encourage more people in general to play medic. Efforts need to be focused on players who are willing to deal with that pressure. As a result I think the best thing by far suggested here is to have some sort of guide or something to teach or remind people how a medic operates in a lobby and how they should (or should not) be treated in order for them to be effective. If players are less likely to rage and rant and more likely to provide constructive criticism the players who enjoy the role are more likely to play it.

#48 Pallas

Pallas

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

To be honest I used to main medic but on hl I felt like there was too much responsibility on me as a player to keep the team alive as best as I could, which often ended up with me having my arsed kicked by many (in game and on the mic). But I may contribute to this shortage if needs be, maybe I'll start enjoying it and going either solly or medic whenever on tf2 center. I just hate it sometimes when people feel like their life depends on a match (even if on a normal lobby). I just want to have fun, isn't that what games are all about? :)

#49 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Medic seems like a class that needs a solid team to strive. So I would suggest that new medic players should find themselves a team if possible, and then figure out what to work on/improve on TF2C?

#50 LastTalon

LastTalon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Medic seems like a class that needs a solid team to strive. So I would suggest that new medic players should find themselves a team if possible, and then figure out what to work on/improve on TF2C?

This is very true. It could be the case that medics playing in lobbies may not know team dynamics and whatnot. It would certainly help, but I don't think it would solve every case as often its a case of the rest of the team also not knowing what to do.

#51 Marty

Marty

Clown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Steam Profile

• Marty - Offline
    Since: Feb 12 2023 03:36 PM
    3.7 hrs last 2 weeks.
    Add Friend

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Medic is quite fun to play casually in lobbies - especially of Mumble isn't required. I just turn up my Electro-swing/Jazz and enjoy myself

#52 Kitty

Kitty

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

I always want to lend a hand to new medics. Learning is rough (I learned solely through tf2mix and 2 youtube videos... Rough times) I do wish for a mentoring system so I can help out medics more easily because some just aren't willing to listen at all.

#53 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

sadly we're down one less medic member as I'll be switching to demo for S14 :(

hopefully we can convince more medic mains! yesterday I saw FOUR FULL LOBBIES that were just waiting on medics. It's getting to be a real big problem.

Edited by flip, 13 August 2014 - 05:36 PM.

Posted Image

#54 BadFairy

BadFairy

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

I main medic and agree with most of what has been written here.  Often, too much is expected of us and we are blamed for things that are not our fault.  I don't think any other class receives as much harsh criticism as a medic in lobbies.  The problem is compounded by players not being in Mumble and not having good team dynamics...we're usually new to each other, after all, and don't necessarily work together well.

Depending on the circumstances, I deal with it on a case-by-case basis.  Clueless players with no game sense?  I ignore them or just say "yeah" every time they criticize.  If the comments are extreme, that person doesn't get heals.  If the team seems to need it, I try to be more assertive.  "Pyro, I need you to spy check."  "Heavy, you're overextending."

But yeah, that criticism keeps me from playing as many lobbies as I would like to.  I would play far more if I knew I wasn't going to expose myself to a lot of verbal abuse, especially for the failures of other players.

Perhaps that chat bubble just needs to remind people to "BE KIND TO YOUR MEDIC."   :)

#55 flip

flip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

honestly, I never got much criticism or hate at ALL when playing medic in lobbies, which was almost 200 lobbies. The only time I have seen people hate on the medic was when they truly were doing very bad, which means they should probably play some lobbies as a different class first to learn comp before trying medic.

Posted Image