#1 ninjaMooCow

ninjaMooCow

Former TF2C staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

..On a lobby a few days ago that had everyone at 100+ ping.  No, it wasn't euro.  Probably in somone's basement.

I think remotely through rcon, we can track server's average pings and block them after perhaps 3 games with avg ping of > 90. 

Maybe pop up a vote once per match, rate this server 1...5   "Just fine" to "Sucks eggs"

Also, possibly, rate this lobby owner 1...5.  "Awesome like Mylie" to "Gary Busey"

We can put this in the "consistent fun play" bucket.

• The Once and Future King likes this

#2 R.E.M.

R.E.M.

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

I think TF2C should start using a server blacklist. We're getting a lot of reports of high ping/laggy servers and abusive admins.

Former TF2C Moderator
Former head of suggestions and bug reports.

"Ze healing is not as revarding as ze hurting." - The Medic.

#3 naknak

naknak

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Average ping is maybe not a good metric, because of false positives (an NA lobby at 3am NA time or  EU lobby at 11am EU time may have half of the players come from across an ocean, which is not the server's fault) and false negatives (a lot of crappy servers still give good ping).

Voting is also problematic for all the ways it can be min-maxed or gamed outright.  Case in point: the tf2 pub landscape is dominated by terrible networks like Lotus/Saigins/Nightteam who chase traffic and leave the gaming experience as a side effect.

That said, I really do want a way to tell good servers from bad.  It's a hard problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Declined