2 replies to this topic

#1 seb'm

seb'm

• Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

I thoroughly enjoy using tf2center.com, it's the best alternative to tf2lobby that I've seen. 

One thing I'm particularly excited for is the implementation of stock lobbyservers, as it would make lobbying much simpler for people, regarding map requests, game modes, server locations, etc. However, this would pose many issues regarding the number of open lobbies that never fill up.

To tackle this issue, a friend and I came up with some constraints for starting lobbies.

• You cannot create a third identical lobby
  • You can only create an identical lobby if the original lobby is missing medics, heavies, or engies (or whatever the 3 most often missing classes are)

definitions:

• identical lobby (n) - a lobby with the same map, game mode, and location

That's all we could come up with for now!

Cheers

#2 Foxy

Foxy

former dev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Steam Profile

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

We have (or were going to have) a system in place that would allow you to create them, but it wouldn't show the lobby on the homepage until the first ones filled. I'm not sure on the status of it though, so will check.

Generally we're aware that this is an issue though, so any suggestions are welcome on how to solve it!

#3 TheMattgician

TheMattgician

Supreme Poster Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

The mumble requirement should also be considered to determine wether lobbies are identical or not.

Also, sometimes there is a lobby missing a class that is taken in an identical lobby (this isn't clear so here's an example).

The EU HL Lobby 42 is only missing one medic. Lobby 43 is identical and only has 11 players, including a medic. If the latter dude joined lobby 42, then it would start and every one would be happy.

So what about a feature that sends a message to the med in lobby 43 telling him there's a spot for him in lobby 43? If done this manually before, and it has worked. Though I understand people like to play with their friends, but making them aware of the lobby is not a bad idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Completed